Live video with band

• Members

Hello

I have some experience with multittracking, but a while back using Cakewalk/Sonar. The band I'm with now is looking to use projection (basically a slideshow) live. The hardware for projector/screen is all set. The question is related to the software/hardware to put this together the best way.

I would like to use the original recordings from the original artists (we're a tribute band) as reference to create the slideshow. Afterwards the audio shall be scratched. I'll also need a clicktrack to stay in time with the visuals. I may have to record a real time click on a separate track playing a cowbell while listening to the music?? I don't know any other way to keep a click synched to an mp3 or wav unless it was recorded with one originally. On line midi files are usually lousy or totally wrong. The finished product will be a slideshow vid with a click.

I am the drummer and have experience with a click live using an MC500 sequencer. I definitely want to control this from stage.

Was hoping to use a tablet, but apps I've seen don't have a click with video. Maybe I should be thinking laptop? Software side of things, I've looked at Ableton and others, but they tend to lean heavily towards audio...which I'm not using in the finished product.

I have the funds to do this right, but need help to be smart about it. Hoping a guru can inject some knowledge. Thank so much

Cliff

• Members

I've always thought it would be cool to develop software that could supply a clock for this type of show, based solely on a microphone input that can figure out tempo and current position in the show by listening.

The proposed solution sounds reasonable to me. If you're going to with a laptop, get a solid-state disc, and preferably some kind of backup. There's nothing worse than ruining your show because you went over one too many big bumps on the way there. And don't use the laptop for ANYTHING ELSE, including surfing the 'net for lyrics.

Wes

Archived