Gooseneck attached to organ?

• Members

I'm always having trouble with boom stands when playing keys, especially my current 3-tier rig. Pianos are long, and even the best mic stand (heavy duty Ultimate w/ telescopic boom) I've been able to find has drooping mic syndrome when I move it around a lot. And the boom is never quite long enough, and the base takes up room on stage I don't have. Although I like the cup holder.

Anybody ever set up an organ player with a gooseneck attached to the organ? How stupid did it look? How well did it work? How long a gooseneck did you use? 3'? Should I consider an organ-mounted boom instead?

Thanks,

Wes

• Members

Cannot comment on gooseneck but the boom I use is rock solid. It has three little dimples around the clamping bolt that dig into the rubber. Even on full extension it does not wilt at all. Don't know brand but got it as a separate item at the big box local music store so probably pretty common.

The booms that just have a smooth clamping face are pretty useless.

• Members

The place where mine fails is rotationally -- the height will stay correct, but the mike wilts due to action at the boom that drives me nuts. The boom screw is a rubber-tipped thumb screw.

Maybe I should try a different boom. I wonder if I can get an adapter to bring this monster down to a normal mic stand diameter.

I tried a normal mic stand with a heavy round base, the stand was not very stand with a beta 58 at full extension at playing height. Slighter angles don't work because my piano is about 4' off the ground.

• Members

Wes,

Have you tried moving the boom to the other side of your body? I've found the right side is better since the weight of the mic will tighten the mic holder onto the stand. You can also try sliding the mic further into the clip to balance the load on each side.

Greg

• Members

Years ago when we were playing on postage stamp sized stages, we were running into the same problem. I ended up with a couple of flanges screwed directly into the upper and lower Leslie cabinets and then screwing a mic clip directly onto the flange. The upper was easy enough to get it in with the rotating horn and angle it a little off to help avoid wind noise, although I think I still had to use a foam windscreen occasionally. The lower cab was a little more difficult as the cover stayed on, but even at an angle, it generally worked fine. Usually on a stage small enough to have issues with space, a Leslie could usually carry the room with maybe a little help. But it worked fine on larger stages as well. Play around with placement and lock it down when you find a good spot! Makes it really easy to get the same positioning every time as well. Sorry I don't have any pictures.

http://www.fullcompass.com/category/...crophones.html

ADDED: Doh! I wasn't thinking vocal mics. Sorry for the unintentional swerve.

• Members

I had a gooseneck on my very first organ. The mount and gooseneck were cheaper than a boomstand back then and as a teenager money was very hard to get. Worked quite well. (Mounted to an Ace Tone organ with screw on legs.) It did creak when moved, so get it set well before turning up the PA.

• Members

I actually will put the boom on either side of my body, depending on the venue. I never thought about the left/right orientation as Gregidon mentioned, but it makes sense. I played with it on my left on Saturday, because there was a subwoofer to my immediate right..it was a very tight stage.

I hadn't ever considered mounting a mic stand on the Leslie, but that actually might be a good idea for one of my cabs also. I was short of space Saturday night, and wound up tucking the Leslie basically off-stage, which I expect the sound man probably appreciated. Actually, I really liked the sound man on Saturday, after self-mixing and/or working with DJs for the last year, it was a nice change to work with a contractor from a local sound company.

I've since found a picture online that's similar to what I was contemplating --

00909_ethiLOpOBMV_600x450.jpg

I gotta say, I don't like the aesthetics.

Are there better-made booms than Ultimate for the extra-large-sized mic threads? Maybe I just need to replace that part of my rig. I have an UltiBoom-TB right now and it drives me crazy. The thumbscrews just don't grip hard enough.

Or maybe boom stands aren't the right choice for somebody like me who keeps standing/sitting/standing/sitting? (No, I am not switching to a headset)

Here's the UltiBoom-TB -- those thumbscrews SEEM well made and have rubber tips:

581783000000000-00-500x500.jpg

• Members

Hi, Bill!

Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't actually thought of going in this direction at all, but it bears serious consideration. I'm not sure 19" is long enough, though -- I'm going to have to get out a measuring tape and figure out exactly what my parameters are.

Wes

• Members

Wow! Tama has done some design work on those! I'm actually really interested in the solid-pole round-base stand. That might be almost as heavy as my Ultimate stand (whose base I love) but with a smaller footprint.

• Members

I tried something new at rehearsal last night that I might stick with for a while. I put a black 6" gooseneck on the end of my Ultimate boom, then I cranked right down on the boom's thumbwheels.

What this allowed me to do was raise/lower the boom joint as usual, but control the angle of the microphone with the gooseneck.

The one major malfunction was that the gooseneck wanted to unscrew from the boom until I cranked it on really tight. I might try and see if I can get it to fit to my left, so that gravity is working with me, instead of against me.

Using this is a little tricky, though. I'm used to just grabbing the mic and pulling it to wherever my head is. With this, I have to grab the boom arm sometimes instead.

Wes

Archived