Looking to grow the inventory

• Members

I'm trying to decide which direction I should go in growing my gear inventory. I currently run 2 EV sxa360 tops and 2 sba760 bottoms. I also have a set of EV sxa250 tops that I will switch in, depending on the situation. I'm at a point now where we are starting to get double booked on dates and I'm having to rent a sub or two to pair with the sxa250s to send out. It's important for us to keep the sound quality uniform, so that clients get a consistent product. Also, I'd like to have the capability to bring "more rig for the gig" for larger jobs. So, it sounds like it's time for more subwoofers.

I have the opportunity to buy an additional pair of sba760's for $1200 in very good shape. Seems like a no brainer, however I have this little thought in my head that, if I am going to buy for the future, I should be getting away from discontinued products. That lead me to EV ETX-18SP (maybe 15?) which seems like the logical choice, but then I have mismatched sub pairs and that doesn't help me for those (rare) larger jobs. So my question is, does it make sense to stay with the sba760 and pick these up or do I hold out till I can afford to to pick up a pair of ETX's?

Full disclosure, we are a mobile DJ company, but I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about my gear and it's capabilities, so I'm not your typical DJ that pushes gear too hard, etc. I know that's not the focus of this forum, but I respect your opinions far more than the DJ forums when it comes to this kind of stuff, so here I am.

• Members

For DJ use matching gear that is "corporate clean" (no dents in the grills, etc.) to keep a uniformed look will keep things looking spiffy. As far as the age of the cabs go I'd go with what Unalaska said.

If possible, you would be best to pick up a spare grill (or two) from the manufacturer just in case there is a mishap in transport.

Mike M

• Members

Personally I would go with a kick butt class D powered 18" subwoofer model over that Class H powered 15 and especially for music content with deep sub bass.

Staying in the EV line check out this sub

DV EKX18SP 134db peak 1300 watts class D

www.electrovoice.com/downloadfile.php?i=973488

• Members

Just when I thought the decision was clear! Thanks to everyone who's responded.

To be honest I don't really understand the difference between amplifier design and their applications, could you elaborate? I know that DJ's place particular stress on our subs because of the compressed music we play and the short distance between peak and average volume for hours on end with no breaks. Does that have something to do with it?

• Members

Class H seems to be a good design and some notable amp manufacturers use that design.

Class D has seemed to move into the common amp of choice these days.

You can certainly research the difference in operations.

I looked over the 15"powered sub you had listed and thought that for your application in DJ work that an 18"sub would be the better choice because of the music and sub bass.

The EV 15" is rated at around 40hz and note at plus or minus 10db not plus or minus 3db spec.

The EV 18" is rated at the same 40hz at plus or minus 3db spec.

The 15" EV is a 128db peak sub.

The 18" EV is a 134db peak sub.

Also the amp rating is a hair shy of double the output of the 15" EV amp.

Not only will the EV18 give you more decibal output it will go lower in frequency

The EV18 has better processing also.

The only reason I suggested the EV is for the sake of matching and keeping things "pretty" for matching purposes.

There are far better 18" powered subs out there and that just depends on how much you want to spend wink.png

• CMS Author
Just when I thought the decision was clear! Thanks to everyone who's responded.

To be honest I don't really understand the difference between amplifier design and their applications, could you elaborate? I know that DJ's place particular stress on our subs because of the compressed music we play and the short distance between peak and average volume for hours on end with no breaks. Does that have something to do with it?

Amp topology would be very far down my list of priorities. If it works and is serviceable, it's fine.

Your concern about using discontinued products is quite valid, but something you should expect to see to a far greater extent as time goes by. Short product lifespans are becoming the norm as more cutting-edge tech gets inserted into the boxes. As mfg's try to one-up each other and the technology is cheap, they cancel production and move on. It's the cost of doing business if you run afoul of an unsupported and non-serviceable unit down the road.

Look at this as a business, and make your decisions accordingly. As your present gear is working, of good quality, and paid for, adding more of the same isn't a bad way to go. Only make big changes if they result in big advances that actually earn more revenue or substantially reduce costs.

Archived