Behringer CX2310 active crossover help needed

• Members

Hi Folks

Firstly apologies...I'mm not a musician and am posting on this forum as a last resort as I have had no luck on my usual hifi/HT forums!

I am looking for advice on integrating a Behringer CX2310 active crossover into my stereo and HT system. I have done a lot of reading online but am still unsure of a few things. Basically I am looking to use my Tannoy TS2.10 active sub for both stereo, with my Topping TP-60 integrated amp and HT with my Denon AVR X-4000.

The current setup is connected like this:

Musiland Monitor 06MX USB DAC, (Digital) coax out -> Denon, L+R pre-amp out -> Topping, input1 (dual-RCA s) -> L + R speakers

Musiland Monitor 06MX USB DAC, (Anologue) dual-RCA line-level outs -> Topping input2 (dual-RCA s)

I will be connecting the CX2310 between the DAC and the Topping with the analogue line-level outs from the DAC. There are two things I am unsure about. Firstly, whether to use the Low Output or the dedicated Sub Out on the Behringer for the sub? I believe both options are possible but am unsure which is best.

Some of the online reviews of the Behringer implied that the dedicated sub out is flawed but I do not understand the comments...

I have pasted these comments below...

"Subwoofer output = gadget because the low pass filter (filter for the sub) takes its signal in the Low section AFTER the crossover filters for each channel."

"...be aware that frquence cutoff low-pass subwoofer output has no effect on the subwoofer output. We do not REALLY cross-over between the outputs and subwoofer output Low as the two play the same thing. In fact the subwoofer output is just the single component output low, which can filter even lower.

By no means a low-cut filter is applied to the outputs according to the Low frquence "Xover" subwoofer. "

"The biggest problem: the low pass filter (filter for the sub) takes its signal in the Low section AFTER the crossover filters for each channel. In other words, when adjusting the crossover of 44Hz and the filter 'sub' to 200 Hz, the signal for the sub is limited to 44Hz (not 200Hz as it should!) I made a change on mine to fix the thing ... To learn how to: giniaip@birutele.be (remove all "i" in this address the problem of spam!) Or send me a private message stating your e-mail. This is a simple re-routing of the signal, it should not scare those who have used the soldering iron."

"...only negative quality switch cover and frequency of the output sub "mono" can not be greater than that set for the crossover frequency of the other filters ... Input signal of the filter output sub "mono" downstream prices of the other two low-pass filters."

"The sum of the frequencies below these two crossover is filtered again in the central part of the device in a section dedicated "sub"

Then I came accross this thread here:

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/LivePerformanceCategory/acapella-33/375694-

Anyway, these comments give me the impression that it is better to use the Low Outs. Perhaps somebody could explain this to me?

My second question is whether it is okay to have both the Behringer and AVR connected to the sub simultaneously. The sub has L/LFE and R line-level inputs so I was hoping to have the Low Outs from the Behringer connected to the L/LFE and R inputs with an adapter so that the LFE out from the AVR also connects to the L/LFE input. It will only ever get one input signal

Anyway, having seen that there are a few people here using the CX2310...realise I'm kinda "off topic" posting here but I'd be most grateful for any advice.

Thanks in advance!

Chris

• CMS Author

What do you really need to do here? Do you have a sub and a pair of mid-high speakers? If so, this unit might work okay. Do you have a sub and need to also separate mids (or low-mids) from highs? Then you need a stereo 3-way crossover, which this isn't. You've got a 2-way stereo crossover with sortof a sub output here. Nowhere in the manual or description, or the unit's controls is it clear where the sub signal is derived or how it's actually controlled. I'm not sure the comments you posted are accurate, but they might be...they're not clearly described either.

If you actually need a 3-way stereo system, this unit won't really do the job correctly. There should be a low-pass filter to clean up the lowest freq's to the sub, then a sub/LF crossover, then a LF/HF crossover. The Sub out doesn't function in this way, as it's getting the same signal as the LF

• Members

Thanks for the reply. Looks like I need to setup email notifications for replys so only just read your reply...

Yes, I am looking to use the Behringer for a single active sub and a pair of mid/high speakers via the Topping amp so I think it should work fine. I think the comments will be accurate as they were taken from various reviews of the product. I think that I will use the low outs to the sub but am still curious as to what the various comments mean...

Thanks again!

Archived