Anybody still here?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
RoadRanger - can you be more specific. There isn't anything on these forums currently not working for me. What is NOT working for you?
As I have reported NUMEROUS times - these forums are mostly worthless without the ability to subscribe to a thread and get emails when a new reply is added. EVERY other forum I use has that. Here, I only get email notifications on threads I started - never no way no how on ones I've responded to. I also require the ability to subscribe to a forum and be notified of new threads - again all other forums I use have this.

• Members
As I have reported NUMEROUS times - these forums are mostly worthless without the ability to subscribe to a thread and get emails when a new reply is added.

BINGO!!!

It's been how many months, or years without being able to subscribe? I used to check in every few hours. Then once a day. Now maybe once a week. Sadly, there's not enough traffic to bother coming around at all anymore.

• Members
People in general seem less into the forum scene since Facebook and Twitter exploded.

I believe you are correct Craig.

I suspect forums aren't the only thing taking a back seat to the social interconnect. Probably not all that different than times in the past when activities were abandoned for the new time eater thing.

• Members

RoadRanger - can you be more specific. There isn't anything on these forums currently not working for me. What is NOT working for you?

I can't post a reply (with or without quotes) using my iPhone. Makes it (really) tough to participate when I have some time away from the shop.

The poorly executed switch of forum software was pretty much the last straw for a lot of folks. Sorry, but the world is changing, and if you screw the pooch more than a couple of times, folks will move on to a better user experience.

• CMS Author

Dendy, I'm pretty sure we can add all sorts of previous functionality to the list of what is considered necessary to "fix" the forums.

Multi-quote.

Markers on the thread page that indicate threads to which you've posted.

When I click on a member's user name, I should consistently be able to view his profile, not get the "oops, u can't go there" screen. I should then be able to see *every* post that person has made, not a short list that repeats itself if you click the "more" button.

And there's all manner of admin/mod functionality we lost and desperately need back.

The people are talking, and I know you are listening. Acting on it has and continues to be the problem. Patience has limits, as we are seeing.

• Members
Still here' date=' and yeah, it's quiet. The past ownership did a great job of jacking this place, but I suspect there's more to it than just crappy software. People in general seem less into the forum scene since Facebook and Twitter exploded.[/quote']

Perhaps a valid general statement, but has NOTHING to do with what's going on here. HC forums are a ghost town because they simply don't work. Imagine if Facebook functionality suddenly changed to where you had to go to each friends page manually to read posts.....It would be out of business in short order.

As I see it, 2 inexcusable blunders are responsible for the demise of HC forums.

- Not being alerted to subscribed or participated threads is a basic tenet of a forum. Without this no forum can be successful.

- Not supporting mobile devices is also a death sentence

Yes, it's a free forum, but so are they all. Years of ridiculousness and lack of basic functionality has more than set the tone and people have simply moved on. Given this all started what, 5-7 years ago, in hindsight it would have been best to blow it up entirely and start over with a fresh install of a basic, open source, forum. The basics of installing a fully functioning forum are not difficult. People run fully functioning forums as a hobby.

• Members

Auto subscribe (and associated notifications) is one of the things I mentioned in my other notes.

I see here now that I can't multi-quote... which is what I was gonna do since several respondents to your question answered the same thing.

-D44

• Members

Dendy --

Like Andy, the big killer for me is iPhone / iPad support. I know this is also an issue for Guido61.

I like to read forums on my phone while on the go, and in my iPad in bed. By the time I'm back at a computer, I can't always remember what I want to reply to, and half the time when I do, I don't feel like replying anymore.

Just disable the ridiculous editor that doesn't work right and use a element. The code is already there!

The ridiculousness with the login/password changes a couple of years ago also caused a SIGNIFICANT and PREDICTABLE drop in readership. If you guys are contemplating any more large-scale software changes....please....consult me, I have decades of experience with this stuff.

Wes

• Members

Can't post/reply on iPhone/iPad without cursors jumping all over the place, pages automatically reloading, words being automatically added that I did not type.

Posting is fraught with error codes telling me pages didn't post. "Working"

notifications for comments left on my posts have nothing at all to do with any actual comments left on my posts. And the link doesn't take you to the supposed post anyway.

Threads I've just posted in tell me I have "unread" posts when there are not any.

Can't get to the last page of a thread without going to the first page of the thread first.

Couldn't embed a video from Vimeo properly yesterday.

Search feature doesn't work at all, does it?

• Members

Sad how dead this place has become. Feels like most of us are posting desperately just to keep the place going AT ALL. The keyboard forum, which used to be VERY active, has become a graveyard. I've taken to posting in the politics forum a lot because that seems to be about the only place with any action at all, anymore.

And then they do silly things like burying this forum over in something called "signature forums". Great move guys----on the off chance that there might actually be a newbie once-in-a-while that should come to HC, let's bury the live-sound forum someplace where he'll never find it. That'll be GREAT for creating traffic... :facepalm:

No offense to Craig, who deserves a "signature" forum as much as anyone here, but it's like you 'promoted' the big city deputy by making him sheriff of a small town in the middle of the desert.

• Members
None of the other forums I haunt are seeing a slowdown.

In an attempt to clarify my vague half thoughts of my previous post:

I believe some/many folks are more-so tight scheduled than they've been in the past, primarily because they're more-so connected than ever before due to networking technology... and are less accommodating of stuff that conflicts with their tight scheduling.

Taking roads of least resistance which facilitates tight scheduling is likely the natural course for those with the tight scheduling.

• CMS Author
To all artists' date=' entertainers, musicians, and performers please check this site this startup company seems pretty cool! [img']http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/core/images/smilies/smiley-cool12.gif[/img] They support artists and charities! Social good!phil-thumbs-up-small.gifthu.gifthu.gifHairPhil.gif

I removed the link, as this is not the place to spam your link. You did post a link in the Promote Your Band, which is also not the place to promote a commercial website...it's for info about *your band*. If I see any other posts from you about that site, I'll have to ban you as a spammer, so please refrain from this.

Archived