High pass in bass amplifiers

• Members

I know we have a few amp designers in our midst, so this is aimed primarily at them, although anyone with info should feel free to chime in. It's been said more than once that most modern bass amps are designed with high pass filter in them, presumably to help avoid over excursion and wasting of power in a combo set up. Where in the signal chain does that usually happen? Is it in the pre-amp or the amplifier section? Is the DI output affected by the high pass implementation? Would at amp head designed to be used with an external speaker cabinet also have a high pass filter on it? When did high pass filters start becoming prevalent in bass amps?

• Members

I'm not aware of any that have intentionally put in a HPF. On the other hand, I don't like just shaking the room. If I did, I'd be using subwoofers to play bass through. (Boy would that suck.) I like bass that you can hear. Overtones run right up into about 2K htz. Bass that's too loud can cause the singer to sing sharp. (Warning only applies to singers that pitch off the bass. Some do, some don't but most don't know where they get their references from.)

• Members

Are you asking about bass guitar amps or subwoofer amps? I guess it doesn't really matter.

To to answer your question, it could be in any number of places and/or multiple instances. In analog amps any capacitive coupling is gonna do it. In digital amps there needs to be something before the A/D converters but there could also be additional filtering.

• Members

Specifically bass guitar amps. I thought I'd read in here somewhere that it was common practice now. I've been high passing subwoofers, either in the amplifier or through outboard processing, for awhile, but was wondering how it was implemented in instrument amps and if there were a "usual" way of doing it.

• Members

Quite common - my Shuttle 3.0 has an awesome one (40 Hz, 24 dB/octave) built-in. It's in the preamp's EQ section which makes perfect sense - and the DI is switchable pre and post EQ. Unfortunately (?) this is my only microamp that has an FX loop so I often feed something directly into the power amp to hear it ruler flat - which loses me the HPF frown.gif c'est la vie smile.png . I'm told the preamp is pretty darn flat when set all at noon so I'm just whinin' wink.png .

Oh, and good filters cheap requires op amps so it was probably around the time those got cheap that most amps added them.

• Members

Most bass amps started using HPF's about 7 or 8 years ago. I have included them on everything I have designed going back maybe 15 years, and got more sophisticated about 12 years ago. That's because I come from the pro audio side where things are just a little bit more advanced. Generally, pre eq DI's are pre HPF (because presumably the pro audio guys have the tools to handle the bass signal as required) but I'm sure there may be some exceptions.

Archived