My office today

• Members

This is a whole side of pro audio that's not commonly seen outside of the specialty itself. It's also some of the highest paying work in the industry, attracting some of the best (most technically competent) talents, because if/when it goes wrong a lot of very important people get really grumpy and it affects a pretty large audience.

I have done a fair amount of this stuff, about 10 years back I handled an event for former president Bill Clinton and provided 28 audio feeds including the feed for CNN which reached about 10 million viewers, feeds for remote viewing locations, regional and state news organizations and such.

About 25 years ago, when things were a lot tougher in the audio world, I handled an event featuring Bishop Desmond Tutu outside for 10k people plus 40 audio feeds for media and probably could have used 60 or more. There were a pair of state department officers present handling just press box security and they took one (unauthorized) local news guy down for unplugging a rival and taking his feed. Pretty impressive. Scary big event though, lots of stress.

Archived