Using a Condenser Mic For Live Applications

• Members
Nope' date=' my mics of choice for that application would be an SM-57, E609, E-604 or if you have the room a 421. Another choice would be an ATM-25, but that, like the 421 are probably more pro applications.[/quote']

Thanks dude for the response. I have a e609 and would probably be happy with that. It just seems to me in the last few years I have seen more and more live setups where people are using condenser mics to reinforce amplifiers in a live situation. I was just wondering what the deal is. I thought maybe I was missing something.

Is it just me or are you seeing it more and more?

• Members
Condensers ( like any other type of mic) come in all flavors and qualities. I wouldn't recommend the application solely based on it being a condenser.

As I said above, it just seems like I'm seeing more and more condensers used in live applications. Not just for guitar amps but vocals and other things. I was just curious if I was missing out on something.

If you want to reproduce the sound coming from the amp without adding a lot of color or flavor, what would you use, and why are people using a condenser?

• Members

As I said above, it just seems like I'm seeing more and more condensers used in live applications. Not just for guitar amps but vocals and other things. I was just curious if I was missing out on something.

If you want to reproduce the sound coming from the amp without adding a lot of color or flavor, what would you use, and why are people using a condenser?

IMO, the best application for condensers is instruments with high transients like cymbals, or instruments with very subtle (and easily lost) dynamics like strings. It would not be something I would be inclined to use on guitar amps. The system in use, venue, music genre, etc... will also affect the choice. If you're dealing with a loud stage, loud amps, poorly run system, etc..... I would steer clear.

• Members

The e906 is a nice step up from the e609, and totally worth the increased price, in my opinion.

The condensers that people are using on guitars tend to be KSM32's. It's a great mic, and certainly sounds great on guitar, but I don't see the point. But if they want one on guitar I'll put one on it, even if I think it's overkill. I'm happy with an e906, or even a 609 most of the time.

One act I worked with last year used Cascade Fathead ribbon mics on their guitars. I remember them sounding great, and the price isn't ridiculous.

The Cascade Fathead is a great choice for a guitar amp ribbon mic on a budget. I also really like the Beyer M160 ribbon on amps - it's one of my go-to guitar amp mics in the studio. I tend to use all three types of microphones, depending on the sound I'm going for, but remember - condensers and ribbons are less durable and rugged than most moving coil dynamic microphones. While you can certainly use both mic types live, remember that a condenser is going to need a power source (batteries, phantom power, etc.) and if it's really humid out and it's an outdoor gig, you could run into problems that you'll never experience with a moving coil dynamic. If it's really windy and you're outdoors, the same can be said for an unprotected ribbon mic... so take all of that into account when selecting mics for live use.

• Members
The Cascade Fathead is a great choice for a guitar amp ribbon mic on a budget. I also really like the Beyer M160 ribbon on amps - it's one of my go-to guitar amp mics in the studio. I tend to use all three types of microphones' date=' depending on the sound I'm going for, but remember - condensers and ribbons are less durable and rugged than most moving coil dynamic microphones. While you can certainly use both mic types live, remember that a condenser is going to need a power source (batteries, phantom power, etc.) and if it's really humid out and it's an outdoor gig, you could run into problems that you'll never experience with a moving coil dynamic. If it's really windy and you're outdoors, the same can be said for an unprotected ribbon mic... so take all of that into account when selecting mics for live use.[/quote']

And the factor if whether the extra effort and precautions of a ribbon or condenser are justified within the framework of the system being used. No use deploying a Neumann with Alto boxes.

• CMS Author

K.I.S.S. applies, in my opinion. So does "horses for courses". If the act and the venue make it worthwhile, a condenser could possibly be the right tool for the job. But a -57 might be right too. Given the infinite variety of circumstances and ears, it's always worth while to experiment with what you have on hand. You might even consider there's no law against putting up two mics and A/B'ing them during the show to determine what you or your audience might prefer...whether they're dynamic and condenser, or two different models of each type. This is a luxury of experimentation we don't enjoy with vocal mics.

Don't you guys worry about the ribbons getting damaged in a live environment in front of a guitar cab? Or are they more durable than they used to be?

It's not high SPL that kills most (modern) ribbons, it's wind. Something like a M160 or Fathead will take a lot of level, but a decent gust of wind from the right / wrong direction can shred a ribbon in an instant. For that reason, I personally have never been a big fan of using ribbons live, but OTOH, other engineers do, and do so successfully. You just have to keep their limitations and weaknesses in mind - and IMO, have a backup plan ready to go in case something happens. I like to minimize the odds of "something happening" during a show, which is why I tend to prefer moving coil dynamics for live use instead of ribbons. YMMV.

Archived