Saw "The Zombies" last night

• Members

Had the pleasure of hearing these guys last night in Sacramento, they could really play ! Not really knowing their history, I didn't realize that one of their members founded Argent which had that great hit "Hold Your Head Up" and they performed it brilliantly. My only complaint was the mix, the guitarist could have unplugged and walked off stage and no one would have noticed. The bass was actually above the vocals in many spots but it was still enjoyable. They were using a pair of the QSC LA's on sticks above a pair of matching subs per side, it seemed to sound ok but the mix made it hard to really tell.

• Members

Just heard one of the Zombies' tunes today. The one that goes major to minor in the chorus. Used to do Time of The Season as a throwback = worked great in a nineties top forty band.

Re: mix. I find it hard to go out and see bands in large venues, because their sound is so mix dependent. Last June I saw Tower of Power in what is usually a great soft seater. However when I walked in, the pre show canned music had most of the mids carved out. Didn't think much of it until Tower of Power started, and they had the same huge cut in the mids. I checked with several friends that were there, in case it was my Rock'and Roll ears, but most everyone said the same thing. Their instrument balance was fine, but the PA wasn't set up to my liking - or others I talked to. Haven't heard them sound that bad since Massey Hall in Toronto back in the late Seventies. The non tech folks had a great time, so maybe ignorance is bliss...

Archived