Airfader on O1v96

• Members

http://www.airfader.com/

Although I've used Studio Manager for wireless control of my O1v96 it never really was setup by Yamaha for doing monitors. I wished for better meters as well. Looked at Airfader years ago and it had no O1v96 support. I was looking around and found they have it now.

http://www.airfader.com/faq_info.html?faqs_id=22&fcPath=5

Will a 30 day free demo I gave it a try.

I have an old Colby Netbook that hadn't been turned on in years so I took the midi/usb drivers off my Studio Manager cd and installed them on a usb thumb drive.

Followed the instructions in Studio Manager to install them. You need to have these installed in order for Airfader to work.

Because the O1v96 only supports USB/midi control you do need Airfader running on a USB connected netbook/tablet/laptop and a wireless router connected to that. Then setup a server for your android/ipad/windows device.

http://www.airfader.com/server-guide-ezp-8.html

I set the USB drivers in the desks to send/receive on channel to 1 and it connected right away. This is the same settings I use in Studio Manager. I'd say it takes about 2 seconds to connect.

The Windows program supports just about everything on the desk. The meters are underneath the fader channel strip and are easy to see. The meter follows the settings on the desk pre/post fade. The android app is a little limited at this time but does include eq and pan , phase etc. It has a 6 segment meter per channel just to the left of each fader. I didn't have a lot of time to check out the whole system but it was stable and easy to setup.

My plan is to have the Netbook/router at the desk at first and use the tablet to setup monitors and walk the room. If everything works well then a larger system at the mix position. I'll use a USB to Cat5 usb extender and have the desk on stage with the computer/router at the mix position. This will give me a hard wired connection for a larger laptop and still wireless for the room

Still taking it for a test drive but so far so good.

Doug

4b12be98fbd051df2fed2f9104787cec.thumb.JPG.e3b9aa09ca0b7bde1095893fb60c7553.JPG

943a8dde19e9cef6bc293d9e98cd4059.thumb.JPG.fc427d4654841ed339397d2b06fe6647.JPG

8062ea4d9900acb20aac5a9f5d552a74.thumb.JPG.3774db20401641d53f57895861e404e2.JPG

• Members

My O1v06 is from 2003 and still works 100% but I've wished for wireless control for some time. I'm looking into a new desk with that feature but this may hold me over for awhile. With a small show I can leave the desk just about anywhere and do FOH where needed with no snake. That to me is a nice step up as far as use fullness with the V. I may even purchase a case and put a couple ADA8001's in it for a 32 channel setup. Just using the V as an X32 Rack kind of setup.

Doug

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Wanting to have wireless mixing for my O1v96 I've been trying AirFader. This was with a connected windows based laptop.

I've found with a windows based tablet I can use a USB "share" router and mix without a direct connection to my O1v96.

To keep the cost low in testing I picked up a used IBM X41 Pen tablet off fleabay for $45 dollars.

Into the tablet I loaded the router software. Uploaded the recommended windows service pack. Plugged in my desk via usb to the router. Turned on the usb connection in the router software. It found the desk and requested the drivers so I loaded the USB drivers for it.

Opened Airfader and it worked as it should.

I could still add more clients to it. I tried 2 Android tablets at the same time with no issues.

So far stable and responsive.

My view so far is a great program to do walk around mixing and on stage monitor mixes. Just having to plug a router into the desk with no "connected" laptop is a big step up from Studio Manager.

c40eb95ad30cb3d6991fdf01767caa97.thumb.JPG.d9e8634d0c308467a63984bae564d2e3.JPG

• Members

I've played with the app before the 01v96 and it's really cool. I personally use the 01v96 remote from strongsoft.uk and it's really been great. Here's what I know pros/cons so far:

still analog gains so all settings are done at the console

lag is about what I see with the x32 m32 and not an issue

in the past the 01v96 and 01v classic app has been slower on older iPads. App has been updated and works much better

no dynamic or editing effects control :(

01v96 eq editing is unreliable, not sure on airfader

no metering with 01v96 app, input metering with airfader

"Get channel names" is a cool feature with 01v96 app

$18 app with free server software for pc 01v96 app

multi client available at no cost, iPhone app is dumbed down for musician mixes

$99 PC license fee for air fader, free iPad app

iphone app is dumbed down too

not sure on multi client as far as price

hope that helps

• Members

The main thing is the remote mixing is very very handy, I rarely bring a snake anymore. If you own the console then get the app, if not you can upgrade and get more features for less than a new 01v96, Far less. User interface is everything though

• Members

I wanted to show some basic controls done between the X41 with AirFader software using my O1v96 done wireless.

Out of focus but you can still see the basic idea of the controls.

This tablet is a Pen touch type running winXP.

1. Showing meters set to prefade on desk

2. View set to post fade

3. Gate on. Not set too low , just to see gate working.

4. Compressor on. Adjusting output gain.

5. Tapping to show fine adjustments can be done

6. Adjusting eq. Setting back to flat and the different ways to control.

7. Main Left/Right outs. Compressor/EQ/back to flat

When tapping on a control the fader or faders needed come up so you can adjust the value or you can adjust it by touching and moving the controls themselves.

I found the meters to be spot on and very little lag time between software and desk.

If your looking for something different other than Studio Manager this may be worth a look.

Takes about 9 sec. for video to start...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Tried something tonight that worked well so I wanted to share.

If you ever wanted a "wired" connection from the O1v96 to your Windows server via AirFader but the usb length limit wasn't enough to get the job done this I found worked for me.

I went out of my mixers USB send into the Usb in on my router setup by it. Went Ethernet out on the router to my IBM tablet running windows via cat5. The tablet connected to the router. I was able to open the USB connection and connect to the board via the ethernet connection. This gave me full Airfader control of the desk.

In basic terms the router became a USB to Ethernet adapter. I tried it with a 50 and 30 foot cat5 cable coupled for an 80 foot total length and it worked fine. I could at the same time connect my RCA (android) tablet to the router as well and run the airfader program wireless.

With this setup I can have the desk set up on side of the stage with a cat5 cable to the back of the room hardwired to the Windows tablet and have a Android/ipad setup for wireless mixing where needed.

Just wanted to add the flexibility to the setup I found to work well.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

A quick update.

Airfader has been upgraded with more features in the Android/Ipad client apps.

Full dynamics, aux and L/R stereo bus sends follow Pre/Post meters set in the V as do the channels. Better meter in the eq section. Less cpu use noted in the windows server. Server has more features in the O1v96 section too.

You'll need to upgrade to Windows Server 3.3 and update your android/Ipad client as well.

Well worth the modest price to bring the O1v96 up to the same level wireless control that most newer desk have.

Dookietwo

• 2 years later...
  • Members

1st you'll have to purchase the app. 2. Know how to setup Studio Manger as you'll have to have the USB setup the same.

3. Have a laptop Connected via USB to the 01v96 and have Airfader running and connected. 4 Have the laptop connect to a router via wifi. It doesn't have to be on the internet. 6. Have a Android or Ipad tablet with the Airfader software on it and set up the Laptop for a client and connect.

This may sound like a lot and in a way at first it is. Once you've connect everything and use it often the system comes together very well and is simple once you get the hang of it.

I always like have a laptop connected directly to the 01v96 and that laptop connected wireless to a router set close by. Then go out to a tablet as client. I liked the Android app better than the Ipad one. Go through the Airfader site. There is plenty there to get you up and running. If not find a local IT guy/girl to give you a hand.

https://www.airfader.com/support.html

https://www.airfader.com/support.html?faqid=23

Archived