The age old question of Speakers...

• Members

OKay, got a good line on some used Line6 L2M's -- which I was thinking about picking up a pair for my Open Mic, and start building a scalable solution that doesn't involve myself with as much rental equipment for bigger ventures. I really wanted a pair of L3Ts, but unless I'm willing to order them, there isn't any for rent for me to try first in town.

I was all set on going to pick them up tomorrow, and give them a run -- I wouldn't be using them live for a few weeks. The DSP for the monitor / FOH and the anti-feedback button looks very cool (I've a little trouble with one act in particular, almost everything is mic'd, they play in close proximity and almost seem to inspire feedback -- the singer randomly cupping the mic doesn't help...)

But I learned tonight, then Yamaha decided to have a sale this month and brought the costs of DXRs down, and offer covers for them (if you go to a website and register your purchase) -- so now I'm debating the DXR12s.

I'm looking at the start of a long road, of a scalable system -- adequate monitors, FOH, and a sub or two but right now, I'm looking at the pieces more applicable but not limiting myself to solo/duo acoustic gigs, and occasional sound reinforcement for other events (I did sound for an event for the federal election coming up, for the all candidates meeting in my riding, and while it went well, I thought of ways to improve -- trying to get good levels while the speaker is moving away from the mic, without creating feedback was... interesting. Two of the speakers knew exactly how to use a mic, proximity and use it to their advantage, but the less experienced candidates, were... difficult to keep heard during the debate. A subject for another thread I guess).

Okay, opinions?

Used Line6 L2M? Go for a couple of Yamaha DXR12s? Or take advantage of "Yorkville Month" up here, and spring for a pair of parasource PS10Ps or PS12Ps. I'm not as sold on the yorkville gear. The line6 has me wary of too many bells and whistles, even on the "M" line, and their fan rattle problem which I don't know how prevalent. The Yamaha DXR12s are the current front runner for my application (Open Mic FOH, and monitor duty for larger events).

• Members

I heard a pair of PSA1s over four PS15Ss on the weekend, I was really impressed. Big sound, easy load-in. I'm also quite fond of my NX55Ps, and like the way Yorkville/L&M do business. I have 6 NX55Ps and use them for PA top, wedge monitor, side fill, and keyboard amp duty.

Since you're in L&M country, why not rent some Yorkville gear and try it out? It's certainly cheap enough. Also, if you buy on credit -- Yorkville month is no-interest, so I guess you plan to -- read the fine print; the return policy is really quite excellent.

• Members

Have you tried the PS12P's? I've heard nothing but good reports, and this summer I used four PS15P's (two front two rear) and just one PSA1 sub outside. I was shocked at how good they all sounded. I've done that gig many times and have used a variety of speakers including: NX750P's (four), EF500P's and my Unity U15's. IMHO the PS15P's very much exceeded the sound of all except possibly my U15's. I would imagine the 12"s wouldn't be much different. The sub was rockin' as well.

I would try the PS12P's and see if you liked them. If so, the warranty is great, and depending on how far you live, you can always get a loaner in the unlikely event one goes down. As well, talk about scalable - how about just cross renting when you need more. Then you have a basic system and rent for the one or two times a year that you actually need the gear.

Archived