Try a subwoofer for outdoor gig

• Members

So I have my new SRM550's but we haven't had a gig since I got them.

Have 2 gigs next weekend and 1 the following Saturday. All are outdoors, all community/block party type stuff.

We'll be running a mix of the whole band, as usual, to keep it balanced.

I've toyed with getting an SRM1850 but wanted to give a sub a try first. I can rent a QSub from GC for not a lot, I think $50 a day, and was thinking of trying it out for these gigs to see how much of a diff a sub makes.

I know it won't be as frequency matched as a Mackie sub, and the QSub is not highly regarded, but I'm wondering if people think it's worth a try.

• Members

Not renting 4, gigs aren't that big and we aren't that loud. Think weekend warrior type gig. 100-200 people.

As for crossover, nothing. Just what's built into the sub and tops. That's why if I bought I would buy SRM1850 to match. But they don't have one for rent.

• Members

GC, gotta love 'em. For $37.00 you can rent a Yorkville 801P for a week, or $73.00 for a whole month from L&M. That's one area Canucks have it good. IMO and maybe OT, that sub would beat a bunch of those QSC's. Which brings me to the point... I've heard them in a few places, including at a jazz fest outdoor concert. They had one a side Paired with some QSC tops. The band was, a grand piano, acoustic bass and drums - jazz trio. The subs seemed to work well because they didn't really sound like subs, more like an extension of the low end of the top speakers.

If you guys are really quiet, one of those subs might make a difference - if not you might be disappointed. Generally, playing outdoors requires more oomph everywhere, and subs can help with that, but I wouldn't recommend you form your opinion on the usefulness of a sub, based on one of the little QSC subs.

Archived