Cleaning my Qu16

• Members

i did an outdoor gig aug 28-29 and the weather was great. at my next gig a few days later i discovered my laptop, ipad and qu16 were covered in a thin layer of tree sap and stuff is stuck in the sap. its gross and nasty.

i cleaned the ipad surface (it was unusable) with 50/50 distilled vinegar and water and a microfiber cloth. this worked and the ipad is usable but has water spots/streaks i cant get off. the ipad has a cracked in half screen but works so i am not going to cry but would like to get the water spots off.

havent cleaned the laptop yet. its abut 8 years old and the screen is aged so i am not going to cry about that one either

mostly concerned with the Qu, i cant use the touch screen with the sticky layer of sap on it, and its blurry. the entire surface of the mixer needs cleaned. i cant find any recomendations from A&H on how to clean it. i'm worried about damaging the touch screen somehow.

any recommendations? i need to get this done asap but dont want to make a mistake. thinking about the $119 cover in the future

fetch?id=31582008&type=large

• Members

Generally, Goo-Gone (citrus oil based) or simple paint thinner is the least aggressive spirit that I would recommend, BUT I do not know how well protected the elements of the touch screen are. Not a problem with an intact i-phone or pad but it will wick into the crack on your broken screen.

The reason why the stuff you tried didn't work is because the sap will not dissolve in a polar solvent like water/viniger. You need the right material for the job.

• Members

vsx26 and crown XS. amps are way too much but are dsp limited, never see a clip on the amps ever. most shows these days i leave the mixer on top of the amp rack and go digital from the board to the vsx26. hdh rig sounds great; i have another set of hdh3's in the shop which need a little work but do function - those have flyware in the subs where the ones in the pic dont (the tops do)

on the look out for a set of hdh4, dont see them ever. closest pair i have found is in ohio

• Members

You are right to be concerned about not putting harsh chemicals on the Qu touch screen. It's not a glass touch screen, but rather one like that of a desktop monitor or GPS. Safe and cheap is mixing rubbing alcohol and water (50/50). I've been using this to clean monitors for 10 years and just Googled to see that it is also a recommended method of removing sap from clothes. Do not use an ammonia based cleaner on the screen.

The issue is whether the cleaner is a solvent for the screen material. Have you tried contacting the mfg and asking them? Might be a good way to get accurate info.

Winner. :philthumb:

When in doubt, call and ask. Better that than a melted touchscreen.

I suspect the rubbing alcohol or distilled vinegar / distilled water combo might work and not damage anything, but whatever you wind up using, make sure you apply it to a cleaning cloth and not directly to the screen itself, and use the liquid sparingly - you don't want to get any "into" the unit or screen.

• Members

A&H recommends a soft brush. ha ha ha.

i mixed up 50/50 iso alchohol and distilled water and went after my macbook with a microfiber cloth. it cut right through the sap and within minutes i had a spot free/sap free computer. rubbing alchohol seems fairly non dangerous and i am quite surprised it cut through the sap immediately.

after my saturday morning coffee/lazy time i plan on trying it on the Qu. after this i think i will get one of those $119 covers for it so this doesnt happen again. its not going to be easy to clean the entire surface/knobs/fader etc

Archived