Soundcraft UI16

• Members

Ok ,I'm looking at this mixer as a light weight alternative to my now long of tooth Presonus for my bands smaller needs as I also need to upgrade my bigger board too. (Looking at the QU2 ) but can somebody tell me how to get 16 inputs mm the darn thing! Are they counting the USB media player as 2 inputs? As much as I've gone over the thing I can only come up with 14. I will have one in my hands next week from the local Harmon dealer to play with pm in just trying to be informed before physically having one.

I really like the size and software. As well as setup and strike times for my band. If need be I can use it as a stage box for more channels until I get my bigger board

• CMS Author

I look at this from a pragmatic standpoint....if you can't find the inputs easily, they don't exist. A USB isn't a worthwhile input if you're holding a pair of XLR's from the backup singer's mics. An RCA media input is of zero use if you aren't using it for media playback.

For whatever it's worth, I see 12 usable channel inputs for typical band use. So yes, it appears they've decided that the RCA and USB jacks are each an "input". Technically correct, but for practical purposes, a little bit shady at the pro level.

• Members
Presonus long in the tooth' date=' wow, that's a pretty short lifecycle [img']http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/core/images/smilies/wink.png[/img]

Probably should have said, now that I seem to need more capabilities, but at the end of the day it's a first generation model and now performance wise and channel count wise I find myself wanting more. Even though I'm sure I'm not using it up to it's max, for bar band stuff it gets heavy. For bigger shows I wish it had more of a channel count. I really love the Presonus I'm actually having pains about moving to another mixer. It's been more than rock solid. My needs have changed.

• Members

I was a little disappointed in Soundcraft's numbering scheme with these. In my past experience with them they were always straight forward with mono channel counts and considered stereo channels and media inputs additional on top of the 32 (or whatever) mono channels. As long as I know before I lay out the cash, I guess it doesn't really matter.

• Members

So , got the unit to the house . After a little fight with it connecting seems pretty cool. Like the way the Web interface works. The graphics are clean and easy to see on all of my devices. Windows . Apple. Android. Hooking up a mic and plugging a guitar straight into one of the hi-z option inputs had noise coming out of it in no time. True test will be this weekend. Had a last minute mess around gig pop up and I'll try it live there. With the presonus as a back up of course.

One thing I didn't like was that it won't work with my 1st generating I pad. Won't run the Web stuff for the mixer. YAY a reason to buy more apple !

• Members

I gave a good look at the UI16 but could not get past the ONLY 14 XLR's . I'm glad I went with the Xr18 I love that lil box. The UI is having all kinds of noise in the preamp problems. They have been major complaints about it over on Gearsluts forum . Looks like Soundcraft dropped the ball on this one

• Members

Yes I read through all of the thread over at the gearslutz , in a member there also. At the level I will be using this. I don't have a issue with a little hiss. My preliminary testing so far hasn't revealed any extra noise. The preamp thus far have been very quiet and sound great as well as the effects seem to really hit the spot.

The latency issues that everyone one was squawking about is a non issue. Once you establish a connection with a device it's pretty solid. Initially I had a little hassle . but now I can turn it on anywhere in my home and connect with no hassle. Form factor is a HUGE plus for my bar band.

Obviously for bigger shows I want real real physical sliders and a real channel count. But that's a complete different beast now isn't it.

Not a Behringer guy. I like what they're doing but it's not like having a Harmon dealer close ready to back you and his products up.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

My Soundcraft UI16, with current firmware and a larger, after market antenna, decided to disconnect me from my IPad about 65 minutes into a 90 minute set in front of 700 people at an outdoor venue at a seaside resort in Mexico this evening. We have used the unit since August in about 45 live shows. The IPad was approximately 20 feet from the stage set up, clear line of sight. There was one other network visible on the IPad. I rebooted the IPad twice whilst my partner was playing. The iPad could not even detect the network. With much fiddling, it finally found the network, then asked for network password, which was entered and then rejected. Needless to say, it was the correct password. Meanwhile, my partner is doing her solo show, with guitar, Vox, harmonicas and midi tracks, all of which I have ZERO control over. Fortunately, the mix was such that we stumbled thru the rest of the show, with NO CONNECTION whatsoever to the unit. No break music when her set was finished, just silence. When the unit was powered off, then back on, the network reappeared, no password necessary. The UI16 is simply not ready for primetime. It is too unreliable for live, professional gigs. Back to the drawing board, Soundcraft.

• Members

Welcome to the world of consumer digital communications interfaces.

It's a pretty crappy feeling when anything major, outside of your control happens. Make you ask how much you need the added features versus how important absolute reliability is.

How would you have felt if it ended up being a show stopper and the promoter/venue came to you and expected you to pick up the tab for the failure? This is what drives the reliability equation in the pro world where the provider may in fact be liable for some pretty significant damages.

• CMS Author
My Soundcraft UI16' date=' with current firmware and a larger, after market antenna, decided to disconnect me from my IPad about 65 minutes into a 90 minute set in front of 700 people at an outdoor venue at a seaside resort in Mexico this evening. We have used the unit since August in about 45 live shows. The IPad was approximately 20 feet from the stage set up, clear line of sight. There was one other network visible on the IPad. I rebooted the IPad twice whilst my partner was playing. The iPad could not even detect the network. With much fiddling, it finally found the network, then asked for network password, which was entered and then rejected. Needless to say, it was the correct password. Meanwhile, my partner is doing her solo show, with guitar, Vox, harmonicas and midi tracks, all of which I have ZERO control over. Fortunately, the mix was such that we stumbled thru the rest of the show, with NO CONNECTION whatsoever to the unit. No break music when her set was finished, just silence. When the unit was powered off, then back on, the network reappeared, no password necessary. The UI16 is simply not ready for primetime. It is too unreliable for live, professional gigs. Back to the drawing board, Soundcraft.[/quote']

Chris, this sounds more like a problem with the iPad than the UI16. I've seen the exact set of symptoms you describe happen on my iPhone. These issues drive my no-sale decision on any mixer that uses another device as its sole or primary interface. I've been red in the face too many times to want to repeat it. And the fact that when reported to the mfg it becomes a finger-pointing contest just makes it all the more frustrating.

• Members

Mine is always hard wired to a PC so if I have wireless disconnects I'm not helpless.

It's been a great little mixer so far no complaints here. Has cut down our setup and load out times considerably. I have snapshots of all my venues being built up as well as different band profiles saved .

I still haven't experienced the excessive noise in the preamps others have complained about.

Wireless disconnects happen with EVERY wireless mixer I've played with.

It's just how far you're willing to go to make sure it. Doesn't happen. External routers whatever.

Like said before mine is always hard wired to a PC so I don't get caught with my pants down. I would do this on ANY software based mixer.

• 1 month later...
  • Members
My Soundcraft UI16' date=' with current firmware and a larger, after market antenna, decided to disconnect me from my IPad about 65 minutes into a 90 minute set in front of 700 people at an outdoor venue at a seaside resort in Mexico this evening.[/quote']My home router does a rectal-cranial inversion like that every few days. If you were using an eternal router you could have power-cycled that and been back in business no prob I'm 90+% sure. The clue is that "doesn't accept the password" crap. In my case I'm running a 5GHz and TWO 2GHz SSIDs (two different security schemes) so I can understand how that didn't get tested well by NetGear.

Archived