RCF ART 312a mk3 - Air leaking from power connector

• Members

Just bought these fabulous speakers, a big upgrade from my EV SX300. One small issue I noticed when playing loud with some tracks with decent bass, I can hear a slight hiss on loud bass notes coming from the power connector on the back. I put my face up close to it and definitely felt some air blow back on my face. While it's not a deal breaker I'm wondering if this is common and if I should seal it up with some silicone around the edges or just let it be?

• Members

It's hard to say whether this loss has been taken into account as part of the thermal design. If it's not a big whistling problem I would just leave it alone. You could try talking to the factory. But unless you spoke to some one really knowledgable you might end up with the wrong answer.

• Members
It's hard to say whether this loss has been taken into account as part of the thermal design. If it's not a big whistling problem I would just leave it alone. You could try talking to the factory. But unless you spoke to some one really knowledgable you might end up with the wrong answer.

Sage advice. I've often found that my best guess, or especially a guess by the pros like you Don, will be better than "the facts" stated by someone that is not in the know, but thinks they are.

• Members
Given the poor customer support we've read about' date=' what are the chances of the OP getting in touch with who he needs...an EE responsible for that unit's R&D...for an accurate answer?[/quote']

Highly unlikely, bit not much different than dealing with about any manufacturer over a similar situation. No one puts design engineers on the phone to customers. They speak a different language that often needs translation to the consumer level. But for the most part speaker systems like this are today so highly engineered you don't wanna change the color of the screws as it could very well affect overall system performance.

If if it's defective (and I'm not sure it is at all) send it back for service.

Btw .... Who said it was an EE that designed it. The best speaker developers I know are not EEs. (Sorry Andy)

• CMS Author

I didn't state that he needed to contact an EE *directly*. I've communicated with the design guys through a support contact at QSC, Mackie, and Ampeg. The point is getting info from qualified people, not whether the info comes via a direct phone conversation. There are support folks who will take a chance on lying to a customer about getting their info, "from the engineers", but if that results in a failure which then results in a rejected warranty claim, the support person could find their ass in a sling for doing so.

Regarding an EE: are you implying that the amplifier portion of active speakers is not always designed by an EE? The IEEE jack is part of the amplifier, especially if it somehow becomes part of the thermal design.

• Members

Rather, there has been one warranty issue that has been mentioned in several threads here, as I recall.

RCF USA has an excellent record of dealing with any warranty issues that I have been involved with.

If we're splitting hairs, no, there's been repeated issues, albeit with the same problem that was not handled properly, over the course of 3 failures of the same item. This was a design flaw the company was aware of yet failed to take proper action on. That said, this issue spanned years is a chronic problem of how RCF support is lacking. It's also continued with other interactions with the company when it comes to parts.

In December I ordered 2 diaphragms and ended up with one old, first generation ones from 2008 that was prone to blistering and another that was the newer kapton type. They both came complete with the entire compression driver, which would have been a great score had they not plucked them out of a pile of broken stuff and shipped them out. A practice that got them into trouble with my first warranty issue. Yes, this was a legacy product, but I ordered 2 NEW diaphragms, not "send me whatever you have laying around". Diaphragms for past production models are typically available for a decade or more after the model is discontinued.

It is what it is. I like their products, but have not had an efficient, or competent experience with RCF, or their repair vendors, since 2008.

• CMS Author
There have been several threads here about poor response to warranty issues.

Rather, there has been one warranty issue that has been mentioned in several threads here, as I recall.

The point was that there were concerns about RCF support expressed in this forum in the past, which made me question the possibility of a timely reply to the OP's concerns. It seemed relevant and still does. The hope is that these concerns won't be continued...we all benefit if a company does its job as expected.

Archived