Bi-Amping the JBL SR4722-X Is This Amp OK?

• Members

I am in the process of setting up my amp rack with class D amp to lighten it up some and would like to try bi-amping my SR4722X tops. I already have a Crown XLS1000 (specs below) and I'm wondering if it's too much amp for the highs. The speakers HF drivers call for 60 watts at 8ohms and the XLS1000 delivers 215 watts per channel at 8ohms. It seems to me like I need a less powerful amp. I s that correct?

I don't post often on here but I read almost everything and would like to thank you all for the volumes of very helpful information!

• Members

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Crown-Xs-Series-Professional-Power-Amplifier-Xs4300-/171875721580?hash=item280497616c

The above has a little more power than you need but it has 4 channels.

I own a few of these amps and use them in several of my racks for horn applications in tri-amp systems plus small monitors. (They are the amps with the red and yellow LED's in the center of the faceplate.)

28lbs. with four seperate 200w @ 8 ohm channels. I have used mine for several years and they have been bulletproof.

I have purchased four of these as used units (two of them purchased via ebay @ approximately $350.00 per unit). I'd offer the seller $300.00 and negotiate from there.

Mike M

fetch?id=31576934

• Members

After doing some research on the Samson I have decided that even though it is the right size amp, it may not be as reliable as I would like. So, my next question is how far above the recommended 60 watts can I safely go without going too far? Andy mentioned using a crossover to limit at 100 watts, is a 100 watt amp too much? Thank you all for your help.

• Members

Use the limiters that are available in most DSP crossovers. Unfortunately, the 234 does not have limiters.

I'm not sure biamping the tops is worth the effort, frankly.

Note that I am a little confused, you mention biamping with the 234 using subs and tops, but then talk about biamping the tops. Not sure what you really are asking now.

• Members

Thanks Andy, Maybe I am overthinking my PA set-up. I plan to use my crossover in 3 way stereo mode where there are two crossover points delivering three signals: 1) a low signal for my subs 2) a mid signal for the 12" in the top speaker 3) a high signal for the tweeter in the top speaker. The main thing that has me stumped right now is finding a decent quality amp for the highs. If I am safe to use a 100 watt amp the options appear to be better.

Am I wrong in bi-amping(if that's the correct term) the tops? Should I just stick with passive mode using the built in crossover in the tops?

• Members

I prefer to use amps from the same line for biamp/Triamp. If you're using xls series amps then the xls1000 would be a great choice. Because of the DSP it's good to use other xls' so all amps are delayed slightly by the DSP.

Amp size isn't important if you've got limiters and you're not hitting them hard. I use qsc cx502s (plx1602s) on horns, mostly jbl2447 16ohm and peavey 22xt 8 ohm (these are most similar to the 2425). The meters never get above -20db and that's just flickering mostly. So far after 8+ years of biamp I haven't lost a horn driver at all to overpowering. The clarity is nice, the difference is sutble, less so when you lean into the boxes a bit. Better clarity at higher volumes.

4722 has a great crossover and a rather small HF driver (2418?). I'd be less inclined to biamp and rather move up it box size. I dunno, you'll have to make the call.

• Members

IF you are using amps with DSP, they should all be of the same series so that the latency times all match, otherwise you are introducing yet another issue.

I wouldn't bother biamping the top boxes myself unless there was a compelling reason to do so. The crossovers are pretty good in those cabinets.

Archived