Listening fatigue and monitors

• Members

As I'm in one of those moods where I'm thinking too much........ I've got a notion bouncing around in my head that there must be/ might be? Some correlation between specific frequency boosts and listening fatigue. I'm wondering if when someone asks for more "me" in their wedge halfway through the show, what if it was addressed as a frequency-specific answer rather than a shelving boost ?

• CMS Author

There's all sorts of stuff going on in your head when loud music is going on for hours. There's over all fatigue, and part of that could be a specific band that's louder than the rest of the spectrum. It might only be at the listener's position in the room, due to buildups/nodes/reflection/etc. Any time an ear is exposed to sound, the brain will start processing what it hears into what it 'wants' to hear...sort of an averaging algorithm. So a loud mid-band will get dropped, and if the singer's voice is there, eventually they can't hear themselves. If the person happens to having hearing loss in that range, the problem may be exacerbated by this.

Archived