OT: You Really Can Find Everything Online

• CMS Author

So this AM as I'm going about my forum business I notice that the letter "o" on the keyboard is kinda funny. It's tilty and not always typing the letter. As I continue on, it gets worse. Hmm. This HP Pavillion is getting long in the tooth, and plenty of meals have been placed and eaten around it. So food splashes, crumbs, etc. are not uncommon.

Well, eventually it gets tiresome to retype 20% of the vowels, and I snap off the keycap to investigate. Ah-hah, a grain of white rice. We had chicken and white rice last night, but the laptop was only in the rough vicinity of meal prep. Maybe it was from last week....

So the tweezers come out, the grain of rice is extricated as if playing "Operation", and I snap the cap on.

Or try to. Uh ohh. It's still tilting when depressed, and isn't really snapped in place. Out come the reading glasses. The keycap mechanism looks like a teeny tiny tv tray table. The crossed legs snap onto the laptop. I can't make that happen. Three tries later I'm typing, "How to reinstall keys on an HP Pavillion" into Google.

There are literally dozens of YouTube vids on this, many for the exact same keyboard I have. And this laptop has been out of production for a while. I see the err of my ways, adjust procedures, and the "o" key is good as new again.

To this old fart, it's nothing short of amazing!

Archived