TECH GUYS: What's in your backpack?

• Members

Hey guys! I posted a couple of days ago, trying to get a couple of good ideas before going full time into production/touring next year. We all love to have our personal backpacks with us when we go to show/gigs/tours. What do YOU have in your backpack as a tech/FOH guy for these events? I am talking tools, audio adapters, personal stuff etc etc. Lets see what you've got!

• CMS Author

I don't recommend carrying around a lot of audio gear in a backpack. You should have a crate for all the small but essential items. Backpacks get lost or stolen. Now if you're doing a walk-in gig, that's another story, but I'd still keep the tech gear separate from your personal gear.

• CMS Author

As for me, I keep things simple. Adapters, DI's, and short cables mostly. Batteries for whatever *I* have (I'm not a convenience store for the band) and a small assortment of rackmount screws, power cube adapters (which are an absolute last resort for ancient venues that still have ungrounded receps) and a couple of walwart adapters if/when another one takes a dump.

It all can fit in a medium mic case with the foam removed, which in turn can be kept safe in a cable case.

• Members

Normally just an ipad, an SPL meter, a towel and some water.

When I'm traveling, I carry aspirin, imodium, laptop, chargers, toiletries ... but that's my usual travel bag. That stays in the hotel room or on the bus.

If I'm providing PA for local events and things, I'll toss in a bunch of spare crap depending on the performers and what I'm expecting throughout the day. I don't typically bring anything I won't need because I just can't be bothered.

• Members

I have a tour kit that covers just about everything. Currently it lives in a brief case, includes a board mic, some mini DI's, 1:1 isolation transformers, XLR gender changers, XLR-1/4"TRS adapters, 1/4" barrels, i-device summing cables, i-pod, charger, DMM, mini tool kit, my small 7205 headphones, spare IEC cable, couple mic clops, spare RF antennas, and the like. I also carry spares of any software I might need.

• Members

I do low production gigs so if I'm doing sound I'm also "managing" the stage (or perhaps playing on it as well) so I pack accordingly.

Adding to all the adapters, batteries, chargers and paired down tools previously mentioned above, I bring board tape, sharpies, electricians tape, 1/8" stereo to two 1/4" TS cables, and a small roll of gaff. I also carry masking, and fluorescent tape for marking stairs and such. Tablet with some SPL and RTA apps (and break music). It's not like I think the apps and tablet are all that accurate but it can help stop volume arguments and impress the noob clients. Speaking of clients, I bring business cards.

I don't bring a meter but I do bring a non contact voltage tester, and a plug in ground... indicator.

Oh yes, I try to make sure that with my headphones I bring a female XLR to female TRS barrel adapter. Besides solving the odd routing issue, these adapters can be used to troubleshoot if signal is present from mixers, EQs and so on.. I don't wear the headphones while I'm plugging it in BTW. Someone else can verify if this is a good or bad idea, but it's worked for me in the past YMMV.

That's not all, but that's enough for now.

• Members

Some pretty interesting stuff coming out here.

I like to have multi-tipped ratchet screwdriver, a set of allen keys, E-tape, wire strippers, side cutters and markers. I hate getting to a gig and not having the right stuff to sort something out. I am thinking of buying a Pelican case to start lugging around all my tech stuff in, all that weight in a backpack tends to make it tear at the seams.

Thanks for the posts and suggestions guys, keep 'em coming!

• Members

I bought an over-the-shoulder satchel from Parts Express recently for a similar purpose. I call it my "problem solver" bag. It has a couple of DIs, Y-cables, extra short cables, 9V batteries, a multimeter, RCA adapters, that kind of thing.

Wes

Archived