how to connect a Tablet (android or ipad) best to a mixer?

• Members

hi all, first post here, i usually be in the guitar forums.

on short notice our drummer cannot make to tomorrows gig, so we need run the drums from a drum computer app on an android tablet

app, tablet and beats are working fine and in rehearsal room we connect it to our mixer via the cd input with a phone jack to cinch cable.

down side our mixer does not allow to adjust the volume of the cd input separately so this limits our flexibilty,

and second our existing cable is only 1,5m or 3m long and too short for the singer to operate the tablet while singing

its a small outside gig, we need to check capabilities of the mixer there today and ask some questions

but whats the best way to plug an instrument like a tablet into a mixer? using two mono channels and a Y-cable? how long max could those get?

there will be for sure no multicore, as it is a toooo small venue, and lots of things need to be improvised, and everything needs to be connected directly to the mixer

any advice?

thx

• CMS Author

Couple of considerations.

The tablet output is unbalanced, which basically means it won't travel a long way without possibly picking up noise via the cable. So it needs to be converted to a balanced signal, hence a DI

If the tablet is connected to an AC charger, there might be AC hum injected into the signal. So if the battery is strong enough to last the whole gig, or you can charge it during breaks, you should run on battery, or use a DI that has transformer isolation.

So a stand mount for the tablet, a short cable/Y into a stereo DI, and a pair of mic cables to 2 mixer channels should do the trick. The DI might need space to be mounted near the tablet since the cable won't reach the floor.

Just keep a backup tablet ready to go...these devices have a nasty way of misbehaving at the worst possible moments. A short break to hook up the backup beats having no drums at all.

• CMS Author

Here's a USB DI that can work if you've got the right cables. Note that you need to be sure the tablet can "see" the device as an output. $54

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/peavey-usb-p-usb-di-format-converter?rNtt=usb di&index=1#productDetail

And another:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/rapco-horizon-ltiglblox-laptop-interface?pfm=sp $58

• Members

thx for the helpfull info.

we are only doing 3-4 songs as a special so i hope the tablet is charged fully and will last long enough :)

i would have loved to avoid buying a DI for this and i need to buy local, as we would need it tomorrow,

at the website of you biggest local store i would have found a radial stagebug SB-5 laptop as "cheapest" solution but unfortunately its not in stock....

lets see if the soundguy we are meeting today can help and has access to a fitting DI box.

i now have added some more questions for our meeting :)

• Members

Jeez, just a simple 1/8" TRS to 1/4"TS (should be summing to avoid loading down the pad's output) cable to a simple, standard passive DI. Take the balanced XLR out into your mixer.

If your sound guy doesn't have a DI available, he shouldn't be called a sound guy.

• Members

^you are right about the sound guy, but i spare you what kind of event it is, and how people who responsible organize things etc. and that i would not expect a real sound guy available in the first place :)

but the goods news, all talk is done, sound guy is a sound guy and someone we (luckily) know, (passive) DI's are available, we organized the right Y-cable, what else and who is bringing what is clarified and the final rehearsal with all the beats is successfully done

so it seems all things are going into the right direction, which is kind of a good surprise regarding the short notice and tough timeframe

thx for your responses and guiding me into the right direction and helping me asking the right quiestions

kudos

• 1 month later...

Archived