Anyone been having luck with smaller modular PA Speakers and Subs?

• Members

Right now I've got 4 of the EV ZLX112P tops and 2 of theZXA1 Subs. Obviously we're going to add more subs. Thinking about 4 more 12" 700 Watt Subs so the full system will be two of the tops and 3 subs per side. For my Wedding/Corporate band that seems adequate for most rooms but if it's bigger I'll just add more. Those Behringer B1200D 12" Subs get good reviews as well and they are so cheap to buy and replace if need be it's a no brainer!

Anyway, I'm not getting any younger and I like the idea of the smaller modular approach. Anyone else doing that?

• CMS Author

No, but my back wishes I was. Until it talks to my wallet, of course.

But seriously, smaller and lighter powered speakers are the way to go. The entry models such as ZLX sound far good enough to handle 90% of the gigs that 98% of us are likely to ever land.

I'd avoid the Behringer offerings, but that's my personal choice...I don't like their business practices, and really don't like their speakers.

• Members

I'm looking to add a small sub to the Mackie SRM550's I just got for mains for the band. I'd rather not lug around a 75 lb sub like the DSX12 (which is what I'm leaning towards) so I was thinking about the ZAX1.

I really only have the funds for 1 sub, unless I do the cheapout and get 2 of the little Behringers mentioned by the OP.

Thoughts about the EV versus the Yamaha, or other lighter 12" subs in the same price range?

• Members

The EVs sound better, but it takes 2 of them to keep up output wise with a single Yamaha DXS12 - which likely means you'd need 4 of them to keep up with the 550s (or 2 of the DXS12s) and even then, you might find the tops can overpower the subs... depending on venue acoustics, sub position, EQ settings and your personal preference for amount of low frequencies in your sound of course. The DXS12s are signigicantly bigger than the EVs, and are bandpass design, both of which contribute to it producing higher SPL thatn the EV.

Al

• Members

As a weekend warrior running sound for my own band and transporting both a sound rig and a bass rig in the same small SUV, I try to stay as compact and light as possible. That said, I've never minded transporting, storing or carrying my DXS12. It's the goldilocks of small-system subwoofers if you ask me!

• Members
No, but my back wishes I was. Until it talks to my wallet, of course.

But seriously, smaller and lighter powered speakers are the way to go. The entry models such as ZLX sound far good enough to handle 90% of the gigs that 98% of us are likely to ever land.

I'd avoid the Behringer offerings, but that's my personal choice...I don't like their business practices, and really don't like their speakers.

Have you heard the Behringer sub? I think it's KILLER for the money for a modular system. The EV and Yammi might be better but they are a lot more $$...I have 2 EV's already and If I add 2 more Behringers per side plus my 4 ZLX tops that's a respectible wedding system that's small and light. Plus If I need more for a bigger gig Ill just add more!! I could have 3 ZLX12's per side and 4 subs for bigger rooms and so on and so forth.

• Members

Mixing subs is NOT a good idea since combining the different frequency response of the different subs can actually cause cancellations at certain frequencies, meaning less sound in some cases. Combining identical subs however means all subs will couple = be reinforcing each other's output at the same frequencies which will result in noticeably increased overall SPL.

• Members
Are you talking about adding Behringers to your current rig ? I'm guessing you didn't mean that as you've been around quite awhile.

i would be inclined to add another pair of your current subs and center couple the four together.

Right now my current gig is just acoustic as we are about to launch the Corporate private events/Wedding band. But based on other gigs I have done with these EV subs I know I'll want at least 2 on each side with a band for smaller room, to bigger for larger rooms. I think based on Reviews and what I have heard, and I know this is hard to believe, the Behringer Subs will be just fine...Seriously, they aren't the same company anymore! I have been professionally running on X32 system for a few years now and it's great!

• Members

Well it sounds like you've already made up your mind about the B subs. While the X32 series has been better received than just about any other Behringer product, the fact that it's design was heavily influenced by Midas shouldn't be overlooked. I seriously doubt Behringer could have produced that on their own. Aside from the X32's, much of the remainder of Behringers products still raise quality/reliability concerns. Only you know if those subs fit your needs and expectations.

• Members
Well it sounds like you've already made up your mind about the B subs. While the X32 series has been better received than just about any other Behringer product' date=' the fact that it's design was heavily influenced by Midas shouldn't be overlooked. I seriously doubt Behringer could have produced that on their own. Aside from the X32's, much of the remainder of Behringers products still raise quality/reliability concerns. Only you know if those subs fit your needs and expectations.[/quote']

well they're $299 and so cheap I'll give them a try...If they SHITE the bed I'll get more Yamaha's!!!

• Members
I'm looking to add a small sub to the Mackie SRM550's I just got for mains for the band. I'd rather not lug around a 75 lb sub like the DSX12 (which is what I'm leaning towards) so I was thinking about the ZAX1.

I really only have the funds for 1 sub, unless I do the cheapout and get 2 of the little Behringers mentioned by the OP.

Thoughts about the EV versus the Yamaha, or other lighter 12" subs in the same price range?

Depending on what you're trying to accomplish, one sub can work just fine. IMO it is a rarity to find a piece of gear that is significantly cheaper than the competition yet outperforms. I find time and again that quality, reliable gear cost's more than the too-good-to-be-true bargains. Sleepers do exist but not in great numbers.

• Members

$299, jeepers, that is almost free. I am preparing to buy my first subwoofer, the one I'm planning to get is worth about 4 times that....I wish like there was a qualitative way to evaluate coverage and so on without just buying the gear, taking it to the gig, and giving it a go.

• Members
$299' date=' jeepers, that is almost free. I am preparing to buy my first subwoofer, the one I'm planning to get is worth about 4 times that....I wish like there was a qualitative way to evaluate coverage and so on without just buying the gear, taking it to the gig, and giving it a go.[/quote']

Well i'm going with more, smaller and lighter subs..that's my model now...I know I like it cause I already have 2 of the EV's but these Behringers get good reviews and I can get 2 for the price of One EV. Check it out. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/B1200DPRO

• Members

If you look at the specs for those POS Behringers they only do 122db. One of the Yamaha DXS12 will do 131 which is almost twice as loud as the blowinger. By the way the idiots who posts the reviews on the Behringers wouldn't know what a good speaker sounded like if it kicked them in the sack.

• Members
If you look at the specs for those POS Behringers they only do 122db. One of the Yamaha DXS12 will do 131 which is almost twice as loud as the blowinger. By the way the idiots who posts the reviews on the Behringers wouldn't know what a good speaker sounded like if it kicked them in the sack.

yea true. However if I have 3 per side it will be plenty loud enough. I'm doing weddings and private events NOT Bars...The EV is 126 DB but has GREAT sound. SIZE is what's of paramount importance here so the Yamaha at 72lbs compared to 46lbs of the Yamaha is a big difference. I'd hope it sounds bigger. I'd likely still need at least 2 of those per side I should think for a band. At that point I'm at $1400 a side and there are MANY killer sub options I could go with.

How about the KSub? Does anyone have experience with it? Will 2 of those be enough for my purposes? In my last wedding band we used two QSC KW181's and it seemed to be great.

• Members

The KW181 sounds significantly better and generally outperforms the Ksub in all aspects. The Ksub is known as an underperformer - especially considering its price. The DXS12 actually performs as well as the Ksub for many hundreds less... A pair of DXS12s Or Ksubs would work well with the 550s, while a pair of KW181s would sound even better overall.

• Members

hmm...Thanks Al. I'm trying to keep size down and performance still up. Obviously I already have 2 of the ZXA1's so the no brainer would be to get more of those but maybe I should just sell them, get 2 KW81's and call it a day? That would surely cover the weddings.

• Members

I would buy 2 good subs and call it a day. At weddings a lot of times you have limited space to set up and the band wants to be as unobtrusive as possible. Bringing in less gear that performs better is usually the best option. Maybe look at these on paper they get plenty loud and they only weigh about 70 pounds. I believe yout tops have a pre set to match with these. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/electro-voice-elx118p-active-18-subwoofer

• Members

I agree with both suggestions above. Coupling is a good idea when you can do it, but isn't often practical. It looks silly when you're not playing on an elevated surface. The subs look like someone forgot to put them where they should be and they end up obstructing the front person, cutting off the singer at the knees or even higher. Plus you're standing right next to them, so at full volume you're getting gobs of sub thrown up on you at short distance.

As for coupling 3 together, sure you can do that. If your budget doesn't allow for buying 2 more right now, one will still help some, and also provide a backup should you have a failure.

Your situation would be seemingly solved with 2 more capable subs versus always hauling in 4 of what you have now, especially if you find that 2 is really never enough. You'd have the output you desire and could couple them or not. Sometimes the power alley effect of separating the subs is desired, especially at weddings where you want the bass strongest on the dance floor and away from the table to the sides.

An example - the JBL PRX715XLF isn't crazy bigger, actually a few lbs lighter, claims 5db higher output and can go 4 notes lower.

• CMS Author

Have you heard the Behringer sub? I think it's KILLER for the money for a modular system. The EV and Yammi might be better but they are a lot more $$...I have 2 EV's already and If I add 2 more Behringers per side plus my 4 ZLX tops that's a respectible wedding system that's small and light. Plus If I need more for a bigger gig Ill just add more!! I could have 3 ZLX12's per side and 4 subs for bigger rooms and so on and so forth.

Yes, I've heard the B1200D in several different live settings, as well as the ZXA1. I don't comment on how something sounds if I've never heard it.

The B1200D isn't in the same class of product as the ZXA1 Sub. There's far more than a price tag and a dB spec. The EV simply sounds better. Does that matter? You really do get what you paid for when it comes to speakers. I've absolutely never heard a speaker that's half the cost of another but has the same performance.

I'd also question where system size factors in here. Saying, "just add more!!" is true, but wouldn't it be both more cost effective and space saving to have fewer boxes that perform as well? Where does storage and travel space factor in to the equation? Not to mention that the overall visual impression is very important at weddings. Do we want to look like a miniature version of the Greatful Dead's "wall of sound" at the Greenblatt wedding? Clean and uncluttered usually trumps impressive stacks at weddings and high-end gigs. YMMV.

Archived