RCF 745-A Review

• Members

I ended up selling my FBT Vertus rig and picked up a pair of RCF 745-A speakers, the flagship of the Art line. I played around with them a bit this week at home and then did a small wedding last night. Below are my initial thoughts.

RCF-745 review

Build Quality / Features

Pros

• Cabinet build design improved over the 300/500 series, which had a thin plastic strip at the seam that connected the boxes, which split on one of my 522A
  • Amp panel quality and lighting better than the 300/500 series. (with exception of the gain pot)
  • 3 handles (left, right, top) so the ergonomics are great
  • Rubberized handles (they feel good)
  • Unlike the 300/500 which used the same box for 12” and 15” models, the 700 series does not. So this 15” box is larger than previous generation.
  • Like previous generation, the zippered padded storage bags are smartly designed and seemingly durable. I’ve had some in use since 2008 and have had only one issue, a broken “zipper handle”.... you know what i mean. It still works, just have to grab the zipper mechanism itself to zip it.
  • Considering the beefy high end, components and output, at 43 lbs, it’s probably the lightest box on the market with its capabilities in terms of SPL and sound quality.

Cons

• Gain pot feels a bit cheap, which is surprising considering the build quality otherwise
  • IEC connector for power. Good for compatibility, but at this price point, a Powercon would have been nice.
  • Bland feature set (no sub mixer, high pass or RCA inputs, only 2 EQ settings, no wireless control). I realize, at this price point, many of these features would seldom be used.
  • For aesthetics they put a plastic plug in the rigging points. The problem is it’s extremely difficult to pry out and I ended up nicking the cabinet around the plug. Also, the plastic from the plug worked into the grooves so I had to lubricate the bolt to get it in then wipe the plastic from the bolt to clean it. It would have been better if they would have just included a countersunk bolt.

General Comments

• Design is not traditional. I was a little concerned when I bought, but actually it looks better in person. Unsolicited, the band said they like the design and that it looks better than the previous generation design. I agree.
  • It’s a pretty big box. It makes my subs look small and they are on the larger side as far as single 18’s go (JBL 718XLF). To be fair I’ve never owned a 15” main before and the size does help the lows when used as a stand alone box.
  • Although MAP is $1,999, they can be had at a substantial discount.
  • My past experience with RCF service/support has been nothing short of dreadful. Fingers crossed
  • Mediocre warranty (2 yrs standard with an added year if you register the speakers). by comparison Yamaha (7), JBL (5), EV (3), QSC (3), Yorkville (2).

Sound

• More detailed than anything else I’ve owned (RCF 522A, 322A, Yorkville 550P, EV QRX 112, JBL PRX712)
  • The low end is VERY good. I was surprised how much so as my 522A is pretty weak in the lows department. It’s so good that I don’t feel bad about not having backup subs. If one went down during a gig or I had to make due without one for a few shows, I’d be comfortable using the box full range.
  • Oddly, the highs wrap around the box a good bit. I was surprised by this as I’ve never heard it any other box.
  • While increasing the low end some, and the high end slightly less, the “Boost” EQ mode is less drastic than other boxes I’ve heard. This makes is suitable for use at higher volumes. Still, a fairly worthless feature in all speakers if you have an outboard EQ.
  • Out of the box in my house with no EQ the box just about ripped my face off when I turned it up. That’s not a bad thing as it means it’s capable of extremely strong 1K-4K output, which you want for longer throw applications and outdoors. I slapped a 15 band EQ I had laying around and it was relatively easy to tame things down to the point they sounded like hi-fi home speakers. With tame, vocal forward material, if you close your eyes, you swear the performer is in the room. I can also hear fret buzz and other details in tracks I’ve never heard before. When I got the boxes up in the air in the venue the “rip your face off” became clarity and definition. I still took a parametric EQ and took the 1K-4K down a few dB though.

Comparison Pictures

• From left to right (RCF 310A, JBL PRX712, RCF 522A, RCF 745A)

g-L8Lwm9l7FkN4b4m_V1ZSUXESqMahm4tF6nVhNbBJJYqXMoJTvnBwi_6YcF4coLsbgCIsjmp7MlpJ2x3dhMBCEA2W-0ygYslznpHn4_jpz6bX_jtRgg4x1_nWNNhagbDDxB_Pc

• Reverse order

qI9rZd6DWKCKC9ybloAha-1_uzjDvyHpKNb3Mcxi4w4xdqpRARbM3pfhVxydIpAafYKUYPDDSqhk2Aw7ZWdQNME-03fzHzi3fNY56BkzV3Tc9EM_1YrpPNe2M8h6X3L3Ovk9V7Y

• Top to bottom (RCF 745A, RCF 522A, JBL PRX712, JBL 310A)

kjVcpUTCx-OiF9SIIiLkwR3rV2u78z35CgPM7oEQRXKpk4xvsSoDU0kX6LF8l83em6GpnVWiomQSCXkyWA30d9z47Xa3zvUfzByiiNDb-nUQaxIA9HdS3avSq8GbHV8UeVwpvtw

Specifications (from RCF)

The RCF ART 745-A features a titanium dome, 4.0” voice coil neo compression driver that offers a unique vocal clarity and sound projection. The 15” neo woofer offers an extremely linear response and a precise, deep low frequency control. The transducers are built in RCF's factory in Italy using the most advanced assembly technologies.

The amplifier delivers 1400 Watts (peak) and is controlled by a DSP that takes care of crossover, equalization, phase alignment, soft limiting and speaker protections.

Link to spec sheet, charts, and plots

RCF ART 745-A Features:

• 1400 Watt Peak, 700 Watt RMS digital amplifier
  • 133 dB max spl
  • 90? x 60?, Wide dispersion constant directivity horn
  • 15" NEO woofer, high power 3.5" voice coil
  • HF NEO driver, titanium dome, 4" voice coil
  • PFC power factor correction
  • DSP Processing
  • 43.2 lbs (19.6 kg)

RCF ART 745-A Specifications:

• Frequency Response (-3 dB): 45 Hz - 20 kHz
  • Max SPL: 133 dB
  • Horizontal coverage angle: 90?
  • Vertical coverage angle: 60?
  • Compression Driver: 1.5" neo, 4.0" v.c.
  • Woofer: 15", 3.5" v.c.
  • Input/Output Section:
    • Input signal: Bal / unbal
    • Input connectors: Combo XLR-jack
    • Output connectors: XLR
    • Input sensitivity: -2 dBu / +4 dBu

[*]Processor Section:

• Crossover frequencies: 650 Hz
    • Protections: Thermal, rms
    • Limiter: Soft limiter
    • Controls: Volume, EQ shape

[*]Amplifier Specifications:

• Total power: 1400 W PEAK
      • High frequencies: 400 W PEAK
      • Low frequencies: 1000 W PEAK

[*]Total power: 700 W RMS

• High frequencies: 200 W RM
      • Low frequencies: 500 W RMS

[*]Cooling: Convection / forced

[*]Connections: VDE connector in

[*]Cabinet:

• Cabinet Material: Composite PP
    • Hardware: 2xM10 flying p.
    • Handles: 2 side, 1 top
    • Pole Mount/Cap: Yes
    • Color: Black

[*]Physical Specifications

• Height: 27.87" (708mm)
    • Width: 17.2" (437mm)
    • Depth: 15.31" (389mm )
    • Net Weight: 43.2 lbs (19.6 kg)

• Members

Abzurd, nice review! I have to ask though, after bad experience on the service side why did you go back to RCF? Solely preference? I am sure you must have put much thought into your investment. I have heard RCF in live settings and always a great experience....

• Members

Believe me, there was some pain in buying from a company that hasn't had it's act together in the past. The decision came down to knowing how good my 522As sound and that there's nothing else in the market with the sound, spl, and weight characteristics of the 745-A. Honestly, nothing even close from my search. The amp module has also been around a while compared to when I bought my 522A, which was right after they went into production then found they had a design flaw. So hopefully that will improve reliability.

• Members
Why did you dump the FBT Vertus? It was really sharp looking :) .

The design was just too quirky and it was difficult to implement properly. I also found that I was lighting the limiters a lot when singing. It does pre-recorded (compressed) material better.

• Members
I also found that I was lighting the limiters a lot when singing. It does pre-recorded (compressed) material better.
The limiters are just compressors really - did them working as designed just scare you or did you actually hear objectionable artifacts?

• Members
The limiters are just compressors really - did them working as designed just scare you or did you actually hear objectionable artifacts?

Didn't scare me and actually sounded fine. They maintained their same sound no matter the volume actually. When I bumped the lower mids to where I liked them for the band though it reduced the overall SPL capabilities. The biggest thing really was that it was difficult to get the cabinet at the right height so that the highs weren't either blocked or shooting over heads.

Truth told, I'm also picky and enjoy the production part, including trying different FOH options. I guess that's the hobby part of it for me. The FBTs were fine, practical and sounded bigger than their size, but were quirky. I just wanted to move on and knew they weren't going to be worth more than they are now (there's already a redesigned Vertus out in the world, it's just not in the states yet).

• Members

Thanks for the excellent and detailed review that included pics. I'm guessing the 745A would be a great stand alone box for typical DJ applications (small - medium wedding). Still not a big fan of the RCF look though - wish they offered a full grill version for wedding type applications. I've also seen too many no name clone copies (EBay, AliBaba) that steal the traditional RCF look... Kind of brings down the value of the originals a bit for me... http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Professional-15-Plastic-DJ-Cabinet-Powered_817532727.html?spm=a2700.7724838.14.7.8fBg9L&s=p

• Members

Ah, so weak in the lower mids - I can believe that. Too bad, they really did look sharp! I wonder how'd they compare to Bose L1's? One of my bands uses a pair of those, I've even gone ampless (bass) on a lower volume gig no prob. I'm trying to get the BL to upgrade the B1's to B2's or at least get another pair of the B1's - we can occasionally get great deals on Bose stuff around here as most everyone knows someone who works there ;) .

• Members
Ah' date=' so weak in the lower mids - I can believe that. Too bad, they really did look sharp! I wonder how'd they compare to Bose L1's? One of my bands uses a pair of those, I've even gone ampless (bass) on a lower volume gig no prob. I'm trying to get the BL to upgrade the B1's to B2's or at least get another pair of the B1's - we can occasionally get great deals on Bose stuff around here as most everyone knows someone who works there ;) .[/quote']

Waaaaaaaay better than the BOSE stuff. The Vertus were the real deal as far as being a capable small traditional setup. They were just too quirky to set up and get consistent results from. Actually were very good with 2 subs and 2 tops per side, but even harder to setup the tops well in that configuration. Or maybe I'm just too picky.

• Members

For the kind of money you spent on these you could've had a big boy powered speaker like the JBL SRX835P. It's a three way speaker driven by a 2000W amp capable of 137dB. It will hit 40Hz (-3dB) when in full range mode. It has a 13ply birch cabinet (heavier but waaaay more sturdy). Street price is around $1500 each.

Subjectively, these speakers will sound sweeter and more "hifi" than the RCF's at lower volume (less than 100dB) and will kill them at higher volume. The highs will not break up when you beat on them. They'll just continue to sound great all the way up to hard limiting.

I own 4 of these speakers plus four SRX828SP 2 x 18" active subs. I run them either as two tops over two bottoms on each side of the stage for band gigs or one top on a tripod stand with all four subs center clustered in a cardoid array for DJ gigs. Either way they get really f'ing loud and sound great doing it. I'm getting 115dB 50' away from one stack with a loud rock show or an EDM gig.

Not knowing what kind of gigs you're doing I can't say what the rig will do for you. I know nothing even comes close for a powered trap box.

• Members
For the kind of money you spent on these you could've had a big boy powered speaker like the JBL SRX835P. It's a three way speaker driven by a 2000W amp capable of 137dB. It will hit 40Hz (-3dB) when in full range mode. It has a 13ply birch cabinet (heavier but waaaay more sturdy). Street price is around $1500 each.

Subjectively, these speakers will sound sweeter and more "hifi" than the RCF's at lower volume (less than 100dB) and will kill them at higher volume. The highs will not break up when you beat on them. They'll just continue to sound great all the way up to hard limiting.

I own 4 of these speakers plus four SRX828SP 2 x 18" active subs. I run them either as two tops over two bottoms on each side of the stage for band gigs or one top on a tripod stand with all four subs center clustered in a cardoid array for DJ gigs. Either way they get really f'ing loud and sound great doing it. I'm getting 115dB 50' away from one stack with a loud rock show or an EDM gig.

Not knowing what kind of gigs you're doing I can't say what the rig will do for you. I know nothing even comes close for a powered trap box.

I have no desire to haul and hoist a top box that's double the weight with essentially equal capability as far as application when used over a subwoofer. My guess is you've never heard the 745-A. If you had you'd not insinuate that they aren't a "big boy" powered box. In fact, I'd guess the RCFs would project slightly better over longer distances. I wanted light, loud, and great sounding and this fit those qualifications. I also paid less than $1400. If there's another box that can match those specs and weigh in under 45 lbs for that price tag, I'm not familiar with it.

Take my review for what it is. There wasn't much out in in world about these so I juts thought I'd share my initial impressions.

• Members

Hey, it's cool. If you like 'em, then great. And, yes, I have heard them. Altho I heard them on different days, I would say comparatively that the JBL's sound more like a nice stereo. The RCF's sounded scooped in the mids and a little forward in the high mids. When pushed the RCF's began to sound harsh in the upper mids and top end. The JBL's sound neutral and musical right up to hard lighting the limiters.

In the end I couldn't justify spending $6K (I needed 4) for a molded plastic cabinet. For the same price I got what I perceived to be a much better speaker. For my own needs the JBL's are better suited. They will never out project the SRX835 nor do they sound as good. These speakers sound just as clear at 200' as they do 30' off the stack. And for my needs (EDM genre DJ gigs and band rentals) the SRX818P sounded better than every other sub I put them up against.

Go over to PSW forums or Sound Forums.net and ask any of the veterans which powered speaker they'd buy in that price range. Eight out of ten will say the SRX's without being prompted. I'll guess that none would recommend the RCF's. Just sayin...

• Members

Go over to PSW forums or Sound Forums.net and ask any of the veterans which powered speaker they'd buy in that price range. Eight out of ten will say the SRX's without being prompted. I'll guess that none would recommend the RCF's. Just sayin...

And 8 out of 10 wouldn't buy a "plastic" box no matter who made it

And 9 out of 10 haven't heard it. There's what, maybe a dozen places in the USA you can even hear it.

I've heard the 3 way PRX and own the 712PRX. The 718XLF sub is what I use with the RCF tops. So I have no aversion to JBL stuff. I'm glad your boxes work for you. They just aren't practical for what I do. You had something seriously wrong if you found the mids scooped when listening to the 745s. I find "all the mids" in the 745 to sound stupid good and they stay smooth even at high volumes. Unless I add subs I really can't use them to anywhere near their capability as they completely outrun the single 18's. I don't really have much reason to do so though. My largest gigs are 500 person weddings where it's not about max SPL and the bar gigs we do are 100-250 person venues.

• Members

As somebody who has a pretty large inventory of passive JBL's (SRX-712's and 718's) as well as RCF line arrays, I totally understand where absurd is coming from. The RCF 745 is a great speaker, and the weight to performance ratio is hard to beat. I really hate the plastic look, but then again it's not the plastic/composite that's the problem (or many top line array cabinets would be frowned upon) but the cosmetics.

I have used both JBL and RCF components in commercial designs over the years, and IMO they are both excellent performers.

• Members
Have you used the HD32a? How does it compare to these? Or 722a for that matter?

No to either of those, but I do own the 522A and it's different/better than those. I think the 722A uses the same compression driver as the 522A. I know it's the same crossover point, vc size, and exit size.

Archived