Delay Hardware

• Members

What do people typically use for delay hardware?

I know the DriveRack PA+ and better hardware has delays (not the PX), as well as some digital mixers. There doesn't seem to be anything like a rackmount delay box like there is for compressors. Why is that? Everybody uses DriveRacks now?

Somebody asked about using a Lexicon unit on GearSlutz a few years ago and was mocked for it, but I don't understand the reason for the mocking. Why can't you use something like an MX400 to do delays? Something like the slap-back program with no feedback would be just about perfect, wouldn't it? (except that it won't help with the math). If you set the tempo fast enough I think you can get 1ms resolution.

The reason I am asking is that I may have a show coming up on a beach where previous shows have resulted in complaints from across the lake. I was thinking that it might be worth setting up the subs in a end-fired cardioid configuration to keep the LF from travelling so far back. I have unused channels in my MX400, but could rent a DR 260 if absolutely necessary.

Wes

• Members

If you want Delay as an effect then the mx400 is perfect. For speakers you'll need a true delay unit (it's full spectrum, designed for the situation). See if you can rent the 260 or even an old behringer shark. If you've got a digital board it may have delay on outputs.

• Members

I keep a rack with a Yamaha DEQ7 and an old Mackie 2600 specifically for a pair of delay speakers, but it's also handy for second zones, side fills, front fills or just a spare amp if it were ever needed. The DEQ7 is a little long in the tooth, but with it's high pass, low pass, delay and digital eq, it's also a handy little Swiss Army knife DSP to have around as well.

• Members

Thanks for the recommendations, all. Knowing search terms is way helpful. I've been scouring the local + 200mile classifieds, and surprisingly haven't seen anything pop up, except for Roland SDE 1000 and SDE 2500. These seem to be effects-focussed by I guess can be used to delay speakers alright? There's nothing vaguely local to me, but I keep an eye on stuff in Montreal in Toronto so that I know the markets and can make purchases on the rare occasions I am in those cities.

(Aside - BTW for anybody in my shoes - wow, is there ever a lot of pre-digital-mixer-related gear on the market right now. I was pretty surprised see to see a Midas Venice 320 with flight case pop up yesterday for two grand (about $1500 US).)

I've read the manuals of several of those products by now. The Peavey IDL 1000 is simple and well-suited to what I'm doing. The Rane looks pretty neat with the extra features (but I don't mind doing the math myself).

The FBQ100 is interesting. A feedback eliminator with delay. I can almost hear the discussion at the board room table: "What else can we make it do without increase build cost?"

That DEQ7 looks like a precursor to the DriveRack. I can see why that would be handy. My "mini rig" is a 6U case with a powerbar, 10ch rack mixer, a Behringer MX882 and DRPX. It gives me a heck of a lot more power than your typical "box mixer".

The Yamaha DDL-3 / 1030E made me chuckle a bit when I realized that DDL stands for Digital Delay Line. I an have a telecom-industry delay line in my garage somewhere. Analog. I think it actually has about 10 miles of wire with many taps in it....it's about 8U and weighs about 60 lbs. LOL. Thank God for digital.

I'm also planning to play with the Lexicon this month. I don't want that as my long-term solution but it might do in a pinch. Someone suggested that it might not be a full-range delay....I think I can test that easily enough with a signal general and a dual-trace 'scope. I'm pooling some of my gear with my drummer's passive gear; I want to get the tops and the subs out in the backyard to calibrate the DRPX. Playing with delay and trying to steer the subs at the same time seems like a good idea. I would rather learn this in my yard than at the gig.

Wes

• Members

That DEQ7 looks like a precursor to the DriveRack. I can see why that would be handy.

Sort of. In doesn't do frequency division to two outputs like a true cross over, although in a pinch you could get creative with the high/low passes on the two channels and make something happen! I got mine for the rare and occasional use that I need it for, for less than $100 USD off of eBay. If I were utilizing it more often I'd probably get something more up to date.

Archived