When an iffy forecast turns into a spectacular evening

• Members

Yesterday, I provided the rig for a local town's fireworks display. The forecast all week (up until the day before) called for showers in the afternoon / evening...

We arrive at 2:30pm under cloudy skies and installed the three zone rig (tarps at the "ready").

Up and running by 6redface.gif0pm.

At 7redface.gif0pm the concert band arrives to set up as the clouds seemed to be breaking up. Band starts at 8redface.gif0pm.

By 9redface.gif0pm the skies were perfectly clear with the moon in the distance.

https://www.facebook.com/RekindleThe...eworks?fref=ts

A cool evening (around 60 degrees) and a spectacular display.

We used a digital board (Berringer X32) for the first time on this gig and it was convenient mixing/balancing the band's performance while walking amongst the crowd. I thought that the board's overall "sound" made the concert band sound more "tinny" than the analog boards that we have used in the past. I had to roll-off the highs quite a bit to warm up (replicate) the concert band's sound.

Once it was dialed in, it sounded excellent.

It was also nice not having a "wall of processing" at FOH.

It has been my experience (or luck) on outdoor gigs that most iffy forecasts end on the down-side (weather-wise). It's about time that the "weather gods" looked favorably on one of my outdoor gigs!

Mike M

Archived