Al's Yorkville NX10C active speaker review Part 1

• Members

Thanks, Al. Always love your reviews. I was thinking of picking up a few of these for some small stuff I do, but the lack of a high-pass option makes them no go for me. I will just get a few more DXR10s instead.

• Members

Al - thanks for this review. I have been looking forward to this for quite some time. I didn't realize it from the product photos, but you video shows that this speaker has a form-factor which makes it a strong contender as a keyboard amp for rehearsals (and maybe gigs - depending on the bass requirements of the gig). 25 lbs is pretty light, and the price is good, too. Hm..

The EQ control is a little funny. Turned to the left, you increase treble and bass together, I guess in a smiley face. Turn to the right, you increase treble only. The middle (0) position gives a flat response. It does not affect "mix out".

You know what might be an interesting pairing? JBL PRX 618S (not XLF) with these on top. It would be a pretty small, lightweight system that could get pretty loud and have no trouble with the low end. IIRC the 618S has a 90Hz HPF output.

Wes

• Members

Not sure what's wrong with HC, but I was unable to ad any text to my initial post and had to click on "Comment" to answer to your post. when I click in the space where my message should be, nothing happens... Anyway, just to clarify - moving the EQ knob to the right does NOT increase the top end, as Bright would make you think, it actually reduces it as well as the low frequencies, leaving an AM quality mostly middy sound. ThaT's why I had to say it sounded bad, which it most certainly does with playback music.

• Members

According to the manual, the "bright" range of the EQ control does boost the treble:

EQ Control

This control affects all the sound coming out of a particular NX10C enclosure. Turning the control counterclockwise

will increase the level of the bass and the treble together in order to provide a hi-fi contour for playback sources. Turning the control clockwise increases the high frequency content. This ca come in handy when multiple NX10C’s are arrayed together. Setting the control to the 12 00 position will provide flat response. This control does not affect the sound at the Mix Out. In a system with multiple cabinets it will be necessary to adjust the EQ control on all individual enclosures.

I guess the main question for me is whether or not the "Bright" range is an advantage for when the speakers are used in wedge position. It would be useful to know if they need a low cut for use on the floor at moderate stage volume. From what Al says, they don't sound like they've got huge bass anyway, so it may not be a consideration.

Al: thanks for the review! I look forward to part two.

Louis

• Members

Yorkville is incorrect when they say turning clockwise increases the high frequency content, unless they consider high frequencies are in the 2-5k area - which is just a guess, but my ears only notice a significant reduction in the lows AND sweet highs as the knob moves to the right. Setting the knob in the middle isn't terrible, while all the way to the left may be a little rich up top for some. Seperate bass and high knobs would have been so much more useful IMO.The NX10C does have some OK bass, it just doesn't extend very deep and it has a boxy quality to it at high levels. Really wish there was a high pass for use with subs, since I feel the woofers will be trying to jump out of the box with certain songs if kick drum is run through the system. some parts of the speaker were well thought out, but not all, unfortunately.

• Members

All; with all your connections and reviews it may be time for a quality measurement system. Or at least something close too it. Here is a free one...http://www.roomeqwizard.com/ It is limited but with a basic RTA microphone and a USB interface you could be up and running.Doug " I have 11 powered speakers " :-)

• Members

It's funny, and it's true :-) I just rented a YX10SP to help add some low end to the NX10Cs. I wanted a pair, but the store only had one, which is certainly NOT going to cut it.. I do like (and find funny) that unlike the better and more expensive subs in yorkville's lineup, the YX10Ps not only has 1/4" and XLR ins and outs, the thing has freakin' hi passed XLR outs as well - helpful for the hi passless YX10Ps. I'll do a little review on the YX10SP, but unsurprisingly, you can barely hear it with the NX10Cs at almost any level... you'd need at least 4 of them to be properly heard, and likely 8 of them to keep up to the NX10Cs at full tilt. Unfortunate, because they are cute and light and small. Of course cute, light and small are not adjectives that apply to deep and loud subs.

Archived