Wireless interference?

• Members

Yesterday my classical ensemble performed for an outdoor garden wedding ceremony in a local venue. I brought a a VHF wireless lav mic (with speaker) for the Rabbi.

Prior to the start of the ceremony I hooked everything up, did a sound check and all was well. I muted the system (at the mixer) and, leaving the belt-pack "on", I affixed the lapel lav to the officiant's lapel (in the standard place that I always do)...fresh battery, etc.

As I am lining up the bridal party I heard some "feed back" or noise from a sound system that I attributed to the DJ......

I go back to my ensemble and we play the processional music. Once the ceremony starts, I turn up the mic channel and there is intermittent reception...! The officiant's voice was loud and thus the mic was unnecessary (thank god). The ceremony went well.

When the ceremony was over the Rabbi approached me to bring back the mic. I noticed that my lapel mic was moved to a different location (now clipped to his tie) and there was a digital recorder with another lapel mic in the same pocket as my transmitter. The additional unit was placed by the videographer after I placed my unit.

When all was done I checked my mic again (walking over to the Huppa) and it worked fine... Oh, and the violinist in my group told me that he heard my speaker make noise prior to the ceremony (around the time when the videographer added his device?).

I have used my mic/speaker combo hundreds of times with no issues however this was the first time that someone put an additional unit in the same pocket (touching my unit).

It must have been interference with the additional unit...I think?

Any ideas?

Mike M

Archived