Ongoing Qupad app connection issues QU-16

• Members

i have 2 apple extreme routers and a d link. the d link is gone actually, it didnt work well at all but the extremes do except i lose connection a lot - except i dont......i'll explain.

using the qu app, i get the large yellow wifi bars across the screen quite often for no reason (rendering the app useless for several seconds) yet the ipad remains connected to the router. after troubleshooting this for a long time (more than i care to admit) it seems the issue is with the router and the qu16, not the ipad and the router like i had so long thought.

qu16 is set to DHCP and ipad always finds it fast, it just sometimes loses connection for a few seconds. nothing so far has had any affect on this, hiding SSID, 5ghz vs 2.4ghz, changing channels etc etc etc etc.

i'm out of ideas and frustrated. at this point i dont think it is a wifi issue at all

• Members

So you use two (Apple extreme) routers concurrently? Same SSID? Many others here are much more IT/WiFi savvy that I but when I was recently researching adding an access point I seem to remember reading that the AP should have a different SSID so the two radios didn't conflict. Wes and others will likely be along shortly to clarify that I'm guessing.

Also I assume you have good/direct line-of-sight to the router(s)?

• Members

Not a big deal until a production manager jumps your butt for problems, even if you have tried like heck to resolve them. I have watched system engineers cringe over wi fi connectivity challenges... all the while muttering about this not being fun anymore.

• Members

i had 1.6 until today and i updated things. now i have 1.7 on the ipad and 1.71 on the mixer. i have it in my office as of today and sofar i am not having issues.

it goes back out friday to a hockey arena

• Members

On the subject of wi-fi: I am an IT guy by day and administer a wide range of wired and wireless networks. Anyone who relies on 802.11 type (Wifi and related mostly) communications for a mission critical part of their show is a fool. I *always* have the options of a wired connection to my router for when, not if, wifi does not work.

It is just too darn easy to render the spectra for wifi totally useless.

• Members

How many devices do you have connected? With the wrong mix of them you'll get disconnections as one device knocks another off the network. I discovered this when I brought my laptop to a gig to run background music. It automatically connected to the network. I figured out at some point that was the culprit. Once disconnected everything was fine. I've been using my Qu for about a year now and have otherwise only had a few disconnections. I chalk those up to being out of range as I just have a $20 internal antenna router in my rack.

Here's the official language from their release:

Note – From V1.7 onwards, the Qu Network port supports up to 8 iOS app connections (max 2 Qu-Pad) including Qu-You, and one TCP MIDI connection at the same time

• Members

i just have the one device, the ipad.

after i updated the quapp and the qu16 wed/thu to 1.7 i hooked the airport extreme up to my desktop and it said to update the firmware from 7.6.1 to 7.6.4 so i did that.

yesterday i was at the hockey arena 13 hours and had the system up and running for 9 hours. i did not have one dropout or disconnect and that arena is a wifi cesspool; so much going on in there. i had to buy a huge battery for the ipad to run that long but it stayed at 100% charge the whole 9 hours. at a bar gig it could drop 30% per hour (down to 40% charge in two hours) in hostile wifi locations.

i'm impressed. unfortunately i do not know if it is the qy update of the extreme update as they both seem to address connectivity issues.

i run the system again thursday-sunday so i'll see what kind of experience i have then. maybe i just got lucky yesterday but i doubt it - the ipad was solid

• Members

Coaster, you may have seen my recent posts regarding my recent acquisition of an Android tablet to run a third-party app to mix my X32. Very similar experience. I received the tablet on a Tuesday, set it up and exercised it extensively in my basement "studio" that week and felt totally comfortable using it on Friday and Saturday nights. However, on both those gigs I lost connection multiple times. There was no effect on the sound and the system would reconnect quickly and easily but the failures were quite discomforting after I had several years experience mixing from iPad without issues. Well, long story short, after literally 5-7 tablet firmware and OS upgrades as well as one app upgrade the system has worked flawlessly on 4-5 gigs since. Guess this is just a new aspect of the old "being prepared for the gig" responsibilities.

• Members

In the good 'ol days, the product worked right out of the box, didn't have to call home to the mothership for new training wheels, and continued to work for years and years without the need for such attention.

It's a trade-off, have to replace 2 NIC cards in some audio gear because they no longer support the current firmware and software. Fortunately, they are still available and the new ones are hardware backwards compatible otherwise I would be out tens of thousands of dollars. Doesn't always out out this way though.

• Members
How many devices do you have connected? With the wrong mix of them you'll get disconnections as one device knocks another off the network. I discovered this when I brought my laptop to a gig to run background music. It automatically connected to the network. I figured out at some point that was the culprit. Once disconnected everything was fine.

If that's the case, something is seriously screwed up with your system. A lot of wifi devices access points / routers (particularly super-cheap ones or ones that work on a per-connection pricing model) can only handle a limited number of devices connecting to them, but all of them should be able to handle at least a couple of concurrent connections and none of them (AFAIK) should just bump whatever's already connected in favor of a new connection.

-Dan.

• CMS Author
In the good 'ol days, the product worked right out of the box, didn't have to call home to the mothership for new training wheels, and continued to work for years and years without the need for such attention.

It's a trade-off, have to replace 2 NIC cards in some audio gear because they no longer support the current firmware and software. Fortunately, they are still available and the new ones are hardware backwards compatible otherwise I would be out tens of thousands of dollars. Doesn't always out out this way though.

I do find it endlessly amusing that a lot of this unreliable and finicky technology is deemed "easier". I'd rather deal with keeping a few cables out of people's way than wondering whether the wi-fi's gonna hold up through a show. And speaking of "easier" technology, when I typed the previous sentence the auto-typing-spell-corrector changed my "wifi's" into "wife's" for me. Apparently the spell checker doesn't know that I'm merely engaged, and not yet married.....

• Members

If that's the case, something is seriously screwed up with your system. A lot of wifi devices access points / routers (particularly super-cheap ones or ones that work on a per-connection pricing model) can only handle a limited number of devices connecting to them, but all of them should be able to handle at least a couple of concurrent connections and none of them (AFAIK) should just bump whatever's already connected in favor of a new connection.

-Dan.

This issue is an A&H limitation and not the fault of the network in general.

• Members

I do find it endlessly amusing that a lot of this unreliable and finicky technology is deemed "easier". I'd rather deal with keeping a few cables out of people's way than wondering whether the wi-fi's gonna hold up through a show. And speaking of "easier" technology, when I typed the previous sentence the auto-typing-spell-corrector changed my "wifi's" into "wife's" for me. Apparently the spell checker doesn't know that I'm merely engaged, and not yet married.....

You don't understand Craig. This new/easier technology is so advanced it "knows" more than you do. So, now that that's settled, keep us posted if autocorrect starts morphing "maybe" into "baby"...

• Members

did a show last night and had zero disconnetcs. this is looking promising.

also i was able to setup a vnc network client with my macbook and play itunes from the laptop while controlling it over the ipad. laptop stays by the mixer and i can view/control the desktop from the ipad

• Members

Wifi is such a pain in the butt. It's not my area expertise, but I am somewhat knowledgeable and have managed very large deployments.

Multiple SOHO routers -- you really want to configure these as bridges to a wired network and let your wired router handle the internet connection (if any), DHCP, and routing. Same SSID. Otherwise, you will experience problems moving from one access point to another. There can be a long delay as the switch/router needs to renew its MAC/ARP cache to rediscover what port your wireless device is now on.

The Apple gear is pretty good, BTW, for small deployments.

Also, don't hide your SSID if you are having connection problems.

And avoid the 2.4GHz band like the plague.

Wes

• Members

did a show sat with zero disconnects.

installed a qu24 with new extreme router (newer than mine) 2 ipads and several iphones in a somewhat wifi hostile church today. no disconnects.

i think they fixed it

Archived