OMG this was a bad one :-)

• Members

Although I still run monitors for national acts occasionally, I spend most of my time mixing FOH for mediocre country acts these days. The venue I work in celebrated it's 1 year anniversary last night and sponsored a "Cowboy crawl" (bar crawl). They hired an extra band to extend the music for an extra 4 hours. The first act is a bunch I've worked with many times before, they are seasoned, good solid musicians (although really burned out from years on the road so they come off a bit lifeless and lounge lizardy). The second FEATURE band, having no sound check was set up in short order via talk back mic & a lot of hand gesturing (they self mix IEMs and I got a thumbs up that everyone could hear well). They get announced, they start to play and.............OMG (G for gosh ;-) the female front vocalist is brutally off key. After several songs, management asks me "What's wrong with the band?". Luckily for me the woman who is in charge of the room has a husband who is an excellent classical & jazz musician so she understands perfectly well "what's going on" (she got the joke about the missing talent knob). The crowd is soooo drunk they dance hoot and yell anyway (the band was OK but that front singer (cringe)). I casually ask at break "you can all hear well?". The response is "Wow this IEM system is great and it sounds awesome." I smile and mix another 3 sets of horrible out of tune screeching.

Reminded me of the video someone recently posted about the girl in the studio who thought everything was wonderful while the engineer perspires profusely trying to polish this big turd. As the old 60s song goes "Oh what a night". the only people who realized anything was wrong were myself and the handful of sober staff. It all pays the same :-) WOW!

• Members

Had a dandy myself a couple weekends ago. OMG describes the situation well. Somewhere around 30 to 40 feedback devices and that many or more power conditioners in the system with JBL JRX 125 FOH...

Oh... and every knob on every-everything appeared to be set "straight-up" (noon)... or "in the middle".

• Members
And what really happened was that band probably thought they were perfect judging by results from the drunks' date=' funny how that happens...[/quote']

And the never ending people the band brings with them that tell them they are great and wonder why they haven't made it big yet. It's maddening.

• Members

And in two years they will probably have a #1 courtesy of autotune.

Sorry you had to go throughout the night like that. At least management knew the deal. At some clubs, the staff looks at the sound booth with 'FIX IT!" in their eyes, and you just know that only a .30-.30 could make things better. Makes you appreciate the good nights though. ;-)

• Moderators
I wonder if anyone had that singer in their IEM mix. It sounds like when I didn't have my bass in the mix' date=' a string got way out of tune, and the rest of the band, who are using wedges, are staring at me like I'm a bigger idiot than usual...[/quote']

At least you weren't at Coachella...

The only thing I can figure is that the bass player was using a chromatic tuner, and she got one string a half step sharp and didn't have any monitoring?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
And in two years they will probably have a #1 courtesy of autotune.

Ha Ha I think our part time entertainment director hired this group based on a studio CD they kept hawking (I'd guess with lots of autotune applied). They had a "producer" who kept telling me to "fix her mix" until I told him they self mix IEMs. It was obvious she was trying to hit notes out of her range. Also of the 4 sets the second two were repeats of the first two. Obviously not a regular touring group ;-).

All happy now. It's long gone and probably won't come back (with our current management though, you never know :-).

Cheers

• Members

Maybe the kindest thing to would be to burn them a CD of their FOH mix.. "on the house"

I had to endure a horribly-sung national anthem last night. At least it was just a kid and not a "pro". I just don't understand why young people think it should sound like they're constipated when they sing. And if you think The Star Spangled Banner sounds bad with American-Idol inspired vocal runs, wait 'till you hear O Canada. Even worse. At least her intonation was good. Far better than mine, sadly.

Wes

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
I smile and mix another 3 sets of horrible out of tune screeching.

My condolences. I wish your ears and your mental health a speedy recovery.

I'm in almost the exact same boat as you. I typically work for the same few bands, blues or rock, that are very solid and well seasoned musicians.

Sometimes I mix bands like I saw over the weekend. Groups of musicians who are fairly decent on their own, despite not having a lot of professional experience, that get together to play a bunch of party standards (usually blues or country) for a one-off show. They show up late, missing gear, without any cables, ask me if I have any guitar strings or drum sticks ... play a bunch of drunken, poorly rehearsed versions of mustang sally and brown eyed girl ... then try to go over time because they take hour-long breaks.

"but everyone's dancing! we can't stop now!"

• Members

My condolences. I wish your ears and your mental health a speedy recovery.

I'm in almost the exact same boat as you. I typically work for the same few bands, blues or rock, that are very solid and well seasoned musicians.

Sometimes I mix bands like I saw over the weekend. Groups of musicians who are fairly decent on their own, despite not having a lot of professional experience, that get together to play a bunch of party standards (usually blues or country) for a one-off show. They show up late, missing gear, without any cables, ask me if I have any guitar strings or drum sticks ... play a bunch of drunken, poorly rehearsed versions of mustang sally and brown eyed girl ... then try to go over time because they take hour-long breaks.

"but everyone's dancing! we can't stop now!"

This is why I work in an office now.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived