Peavey IPR & IPR2 Power Amps Any Good?

• Members

Absolutely! I've got a pair of the 5000s that replaced some plx3402s. Lighter, a little more power, DDT, crossover built in fixed at 100hz, and easy on AC. I've used them a bunch in the last year with all sorts of loads, mostly jbl srx stuff at 8 & 4 ohm stereo and some 2 ohm. Even at 2 ohms these don't feel like they're gasping for wattage. I don't know the technical side of it but they seem to coast right along at 2 ohms.

pros:

power/weight ratio

DDT!

usual xlr and ch1 output has both ch1 and ch2 on the Nl4 (similar to QSC and Yamaha amps)

2 ohm stable

Cheap

cons:

deep amps, make sure your racks are deep enough. A few inches more than a PLX series. I'm using some from EWI that are deep, still enough room for connections but not a whole lot.

IPR7500 can draw a LOT of power if driver hard at low impeadances. Most circumstances it won't be an issue, if you're doing low freq 2 ohm stereo into hard clip then beware. Then again these put out a LOT of power so anything downstream will take a beating which is why I bought the 5000s.

ill be buying at least one more 5000 this summer, might get an ipr2000 for HF duty. They work really well, even with 2 dual 18s on one channel and dual 15's on the other.

• Members

Unalaska, That is a lot of good info, thank you so much for the reply.

My tops are JBL SR4722-X, subs are MRX518, monitors are 4) MRX512. I plan to run one speaker for each channel so regular loads and not pushed too much. It's hard to imagine 4 amps in one rack weighing so little like 32lbs, but I think I could get used to that.

• Members

My first-gen IPR1600 has been a rock-solid little unit for a few years now and has paid for itself several times over. The thing regularly goes out on rentals with a local sound co because the techs like the crazy light weight and crossover feature. I intend to add more IPR amps in the future.

• 1 month later...
  • CMS Author
So after 16 months of happy with my IPR2 7500, it dies mid song.

And worse - after a visit to the mother ship it comes back DOA!

Grrrrrrrrr.

After many years of great service, I fear something's gone wrong with Peavey at many levels. I've been hearing some horror story service tales. There was the Undercover Boss fiasco. And I've got an oddball story of my own....

Last year a neighbor I've seen but never spoken with comes up to me in the driveway asking if my name is Craig Vecchione. "Yep". He tells me he has a large box that was shipped to my name but his address. It's a guitar amp, he says, as he opened it. He gives it to me.

Sure enough, there's a beautiful Peavey Classic 30 in blonde Tolex, apparently a custom or limited edition or something. Huh, why'd Peavey send *me* a guitar amp? I review live sound gear. I post to the HC office asking the guys if someone's expecting a Classic 30.

Nope.

So I call Peavey. This is where the fun begins. I get the warehouse packing supervisor (or something like that) who looks me up, and sees the shipping order. But has no idea who placed it. We do see that they fat fingered the address number, hence the bad shipment. She gives me the number of someone in a Peavey office in...Wisconsin????

I call there. The guy tells me I was supposed to get a bunch of stuff from Peavey to review. And that another HC guy was to get the amp. I ask who requested this, as I haven't had any discussion internally or with Peavey, and need to know if something's coming to me so I can arrange to be home when it gets there. He has no idea. Okay, well send me the gear and I'll be happy to review it. And if you'd like your Classic 30 back, send me a call tag so I can get it moving along.

He's got the info, and says I'll have the return tag the next day, and the gear next week. Yeah right. Three MONTHS later I'm still waiting for everything. I consider selling the amp, but that's not right. So another round of calls, and I get the amp shipped out. But nobody in Meridian, MS knows the guy I was talking with, or anything at all about the other gear supposedly coming to me. But they do know that other gear was shipped to me besides the Classic 30. I give them the name and address of my neighbor and tell them to ask him about it...as they probably shipped it there and he probably put it on Craig's List for beer money.

I haven't heard from them again. WTH is going on there? Another great company falling to employee apathy? More demotivation thanks to outsourcing and under-staffing? All I know is that they used to be great to deal with, and ran efficiently.

But then, Ampeg used to be great too. Before they "globalized".

• Members

After many years of great service, I fear something's gone wrong with Peavey at many levels. I've been hearing some horror story service tales. There was the Undercover Boss fiasco. And I've got an oddball story of my own....

Shorter version of same...I get the supposedly repaired amp back DOA. Call service and ask for shipping label to get this amp in and fixed! They email me a tag...I slap it on the box...drop it off at shipper in town where I work. Three days later I check tracking to see if it got there and I see.......amp is out for delivery TO ME ! They sent me a label with me as the ship to !! ??? Granted I might have looked closer at the label, but WTH.....

They have 2 of my amps now and I'm not feeling confidence. Hopefully this is just a fluke.

• Members

Shorter version of same...I get the supposedly repaired amp back DOA. Call service and ask for shipping label to get this amp in and fixed! They email me a tag...I slap it on the box...drop it off at shipper in town where I work. Three days later I check tracking to see if it got there and I see.......amp is out for delivery TO ME ! They sent me a label with me as the ship to !! ??? Granted I might have looked closer at the label, but WTH.....

They have 2 of my amps now and I'm not feeling confidence. Hopefully this is just a fluke.

QSC plx series and you'll sleep like a baby.

• Members
I really hope it's just a minor burp in what's been a very good track record for at least 20 years (IME).

And the shipper also should have caught that when you handed it over to them. "You have ONE job...." :D

I wish someone would ship a Classic30 to me by accident:lol:

• Members

I hope this is a fluke, something isn't right with middle management at peavey. I do really dig these amplifiers and I bought these on the reputations of the first gen IPR amps. I figure they put the work into designing these and really they get off the boat from china and immediately go to retailers or other. I did call a local music store where they are sitting on a few IPR amps, the only 5k left spit out magic smoke on demo and they are awaiting a replacement. That doesn't make me feel any better. I hope the best for peavey, if Hartley can get it worked out so the company is selling good gear again, but the damage may have been done.

• Members

Anyone remember the Peavey DECA amps? Late 80's IIRC. Pretty advanced, but terrible reliability problems. Something with impedance dips letting the smoke out.

All these digital toys are so cool....when they work. If only my back could take it, I'd return to big iron in a second.

• Members
Anyone remember the Peavey DECA amps? Late 80's IIRC. Pretty advanced, but terrible reliability problems. Something with impedance dips letting the smoke out.

All these digital toys are so cool....when they work. If only my back could take it, I'd return to big iron in a second.

What does 30 year old design have to do with anything today?

Big iron doesn't have anything to do with whether something is digital or not.

• Members

Perhaps my short ramble was less than clear as to my meaning. The mention of the DECA speaks to my woe as an early adopter...I should have learned by now. Burned by DECA, burned by XTi, now by IPR. Big iron was just shorthand for mature, proven, reliable. When I said "digital" I meant in general all the new fantastic electronic gizmos.

Thanks for the reminder to be direct to my point. My point being that I have a few fancy audio toys that are not working.....again, and realistically speaking - the mfgs don't care one mote because hey - I'm the .01%. So I throw up a tiny flare on the web and maybe the next guy will have at least one oppositional data point to condiser when it's time to buy....or not.

JPLutz

Archived