OT: A personal achievement

• Members

SInce the people of HC are indeed my friends that I have come to know over the years, I wanted to share something that I am very proud of. Most of you that I have known on here for years know I work for NASA. After a long career, I put in for retirement which will be effective June 29th. It was my time. Today I came in to work, and received an email from my supervisor. The subject line was "CONGRATULATIONS." Upon opening it, it said that Chief Counsel for my Center (Langley) had submitted a detailed write up of my accomplishments over the years to NASA HQ. In response, my boss was just notified by HQ that I was selected to receive the "NASA Exceptional Service Medal" at the next Honor Awards Ceremony. I am humbled and proud, so excuse my seeming arrogance, but I had to share my joy with friends. I am at a loss on how to respond to this. It is the culmination of a lot of years of effort to always "do the right thing."

Exceptional Service Medal (ESM)

esm.jpg

This prestigious NASA medal is awarded to a Government employee for sustained performance that embodies multiple contributions which contribute to NASA projects, programs, or initiatives.

The criteria must include all of the following:

• Sustained performance has made a significant improvement to NASA deliverables, operations, or image;
  • Employee's record of achievements sets a benchmark for others to follow;
  • Substantial improvement to a NASA program that yielded high quality results or improvements;
  • Impact and importance of the employee's services have been instrumental to the past and ongoing success of NASA.

• Members

May I be the first to congratulate you sir. Nice to work for an organization that not only invests in your career but recognizes and rewards achievement -- my blessing as well. Retirement to boot! Now get that RV tuned and the family loaded up and enjoy yourself!

• Members

Very cool man!

Arrogance is receiving something based on an entitlement and thinking that you earned it.

Pride is something different, which comes from actually earning a significant achievement.

Unfortunately, many folks confuse the two. ;)

• Members

Thanks to everyone for the well wishes. In no special order:

No Rolex coming unless I buy it. (sure, that will happen, uh huh.)

Looking forward to traveling in the camper. Need to do a few things to it, and we will be ready to start something in July.

Idaho looks like a fun ride, except I don't (and never did) own a scoot. Wish I did.

Its nice to have a place where I can share this with friends, and not one negative remark. You guys are always amazing!

:-)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived