Decent XLR cables?

• Members

I am running low on XLR cables again (it happens every few years). I have been getting packs of cables on e-bay. I have had some horrible cables, and some pretty good ones. Sadly, the history only goes back 3 years and I can't find the ones I bought last time (I think it was 2 boxes of 10).

I think I paid about $10 per cable last time for cables that had neutrik like connectors on them. These held up pretty well (not a failure yet). I bought some really cheep ones with gold end connectors that systematically died in under a couple of years too.

Anyone have any advice on where to get a good set? I could make them myself, but am too lazy.

Thanks!

• Members

I have some good used tour grade cable (8412 class) available as I am retiring some of my systems... maybe a couple hundred or so. PM me if interested. Maybe you want a line array system or a console to go with the cables? How about some mics or processing? ;)

• Members
I have some good used tour grade cable (8412 class) available as I am retiring some of my systems... maybe a couple hundred or so. PM me if interested. Maybe you want a line array system or a console to go with the cables? How about some mics or processing? ;)

LOL. My wife would have a cow ;) .... but I have always wanted a great line array! I suspect that would raise some eyebrows carrying that into my bar gigs.

Thanks Andy.

• Members

Does that include motors and controller?

Nope, and the fly hardware needs an engineer's certification. this was a proof of concept system I was designing, all CNC, all finished. Developing a product that requires a lot of boxes in order to get measurements (because the performance does not directly scale, the length of the array changes sensitivity and vertical pattern), a full length array must be built and plotted box by box as the array is built. This is an expensive endevor, and when the company changed their approach (to a molded composite cabinet rather than birch, and powered rather than unpowered), they were left with a very expensive bunch of boxes and components. They made me a deal I couldn't refuse... ;)

It would have killed me to see them trash all those boxes, there was probably $15k just in the raw boxes, poly finish, plates and grilles. Then there were 64 Neo 10" drivers and 32 Neo 1.4" exit bolt on drivers on specialized horn flairs. Some serious money just for a proof of concept system.

• Members

Proof of concept designs cost lots of money. The first vehicles that are built for a new design cost nearly $1,000,000.00 each ..... and they can't be sold (they are used for engineering development).

• Members

I've had good luck with Mark's cables also. The other brand that I've found to be pretty durable is the CBI brand. Everybody has good, better, and best cables , and I try to stick with the better category.

Archived