Presonus gets moving faders....

• Members

Ah, but it's just a controller for a DAW or other mixer. To use it you have to also buy an RM Series mixer. Seems niche and hard to move units as the price point can't be competitive with other moving fader mixers on the market. I guess time will tell.

• Members

How much is an X32 with 2 - 16 channel stage boxes?

M32 & 2 - 16 channel stage boxes?

GLD80 with a stage box?

the new Yamaha consoles with 32 channels of stage box!

the setup is basically a flying fader mixer with digital stage box (though all the "brains" are in the box.

32 channels, 16 returns stage box digital snake & flying faders for $4,000. 64 channels for $6,000. That's pretty good! I'll be getting one as soon as they're available.

I've been hanging only my Legacy 24.4.2 for this reason. I'm running into babds here & there that bring their own tech. I'm comfortable mic'ing from an iPad but I know others prefer faders. So my original SL24.4.2 was being used for that. I've actualky left my snake at one venue just because it's a PITA to move.

Now with the CS18AI I can use that as the mixer for guys to use when they want faders, and for when my band plays. I used my iPad mini the last couple gigs. While it's always been great for setting up the mix, it's a bit clunky during a gig to adjust a monitor mix etc. I could go back to using my SL24.4.2 but hell, what's the fun in that.

wink.png

ive ve got the RM32AI, I've got to spend some more money this year. For me, it's a no brainer.

Once I get it I'll sell my SL24.4.2, the case, my snake, hell I might include the Mac mini and iPad 1 just to round out the setup.

• Members

It's a control surface that will work with the Studio One DAW at release and then expand via HUI or likely other standards in addition to being a control surface for the RM series of live mixers. I too have the RM32ai and this would be cool as it also gives you AVB channels at the FOH for talkback and solo/cue and break music. If I was a big studio recording guy, I'd likely be very interested. It just doesn't give me THAT much more than what I have with a large (24") touchscreen. I am intrigued and will stay abreast.

• Members

True. I was looking into touch screens, the Dell XP18 (I think) was on the short list for about a grand. So I'll be picking up this instead. I guess you can control capture remotely from the CS18AI, you hook the comp up at the RM and then you're good to go. I had to wait until January to buy my RM32AI, I had spent enough money for last year. Now that we are in a new tax year I'll be able to get one as soon as is available.

• Members
How much is an X32 with 2 - 16 channel stage boxes?

M32 & 2 - 16 channel stage boxes?

GLD80 with a stage box?

the new Yamaha consoles with 32 channels of stage box!

the setup is basically a flying fader mixee with digital stage box (though all the "brains" are in the box.

32 channels, 16 returns stage box digital snake & flying faders for $4,000. 64 channels for $6,000. That's pretty good! I'll be getting one as soon as they're available.

I've been hanging only my Legacy 24.4.2 for this reason. I'm running into babds here & there that bring their own tech. I'm comfortable mic'ing from an iPad but I know others prefer faders. So my original SL24.4.2 was being used for that. I've actualky left my snake at one venue just because it's a PITA to move.

Now with the CS18AI I can use that as the mixer for guys to use when they want faders, and for when my band plays. I used my iPad mini the last couple gigs. While it's always been great for setting up the mix, it's a bit clunky during a gig to adjust a monitor mix etc. I could go back to using my SL24.4.2 but hell, what's the fun in that.

;)

ive ve got the RM32AI, I've got to spend some more money this year. For me, it's a no brainer.

Once I get it I'll sell my SL24.4.2, the case, my snake, hell I might include the Mac mini and iPad 1 just to round out the setup.

To be fair, the more accurate example would be an X32 Rack and one S16 stage box. Together the answer is $2100.00 MAP. This isn't a totally fair comparison though since the X32 Rack and S15 stage box together give you 38 inputs and a physical interface backup while the RM32AI gives you 32 inputs and no physical interface. Still, these two mixers are fairly close competitors in price and channel count.

I don't completely understand either Behringer or Presonus on this particular product though. If you want a mixer with motorized faders, there are plenty of options out there that are very good. I must be missing something ;)

• Members

To be fair, the more accurate example would be an X32 Rack and one S16 stage box. Together the answer is $2100.00 MAP. This isn't a totally fair comparison though since the X32 Rack and S15 stage box together give you 38 inputs and a physical interface backup while the RM32AI gives you 32 inputs and no physical interface. Still, these two mixers are fairly close competitors in price and channel count.

true, it's similar to the Ram32AI on its own. I'm referring more to a digital mixer (or interface) with moving faders at FOH and 32 channels on stage.

I don't completely understand either Behringer or Presonus on this particular product though. If you want a mixer with motorized faders, there are plenty of options out there that are very good. I must be missing something ;)

Again, true. Myself I was looking into something newer last fall. I don't like Behringer, not crazy about the M32, so that brought around the QU24, which only has 18 channels of recording. I guess I'm spoiled with the ability to record all 24 tracks.

While I was looking for something new, the RM32AI was announced and released. Since I'm comfortable mixing via iPad, it was a perfect solution, and at $2,000 what's not to like. (Again it doesn't matter what Behringer comes up with, they couldn't pay me to take one) so the front end with motorized faders is just kind of icing on the cake. If I hook my laptop to the RM, I get 32 channels of recording for any gig as well. It's just a good fit for me.

We we are lucky to have so many choices these days. Think about where we were 5 years ago...

• Members

Behringer have earned their ire from you and others. I have no trouble understanding that.

For myself, going with the X32 Rack was a huge leap since I was used to a physical analog mixer. The decision was made even worse when, for a short time, Behringer lowered the price of the X32 Compact to $1700.00 MAP.

Since I am an engineer, there is no problem that can't be solved with a good spread sheet ;) I put all the properties I wanted out of a mixer into a spread sheet along with the relative weight these properties had for me. What the numbers said was that a digital mixer run from stage with a tablet mounted on my mic stand was the best solution regardless of any of my reservations with respect to the big change from analog to a tablet based digital mixer.

I think that Behringer has the most full featured tablet app, Mackie has the easiest to use, and Presonus is somewhere between those two. All others fall short of these 3 IME.

I think the RM32AI is a very interesting move for Presonus. While it is hard for them to compete with any of the full sized physical consoles without a complete redesign, the RM32AI does a pretty good job of competing in the market of tablet controlled mixers. Not a bad move IMO.

I haven't had the opportunity to hear one used, but have heard they sound identical to the physical AI mixers (which I have heard and played with).

Still hard to understand getting an external physical interface to go with a mixer specifically designed to work with a tablet ;)

• Members

True. Think of it as a mixer/digital snake/stage box. I figure if I can sell my Legacy 24.4.2 (with transferable warranty) with case and my 100' 24x8 snake it will almost pay for it all, and move some older gear out of my garage.

Smaller footprint, lighter, easier trailer pack.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I must disagree with the statement that it sounds like the SL console in that the pres in the RM are even better than those in the console.

Now that I've had mine since November, I wouldn't change. And to think I almost bought the X brand in October.

I do have the CS18ai on preorder and will comment when I get it up and running.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I have mine now.

At first, it didn't want to connect to my home router. I talked to Tech Support and they said that it would respond better if I used an SSID of "StudioLive", and a password of "StudioLive". The reason for this is that the touch screen is a bit janky in that it takes extra slow touch to get the password in there. Ah, well that is weird, but workable.

So I get to the show on a Friday. I don't have much time as I forgot something at home and had to get it. Well, I couldn't get it to connect right away, so I stowed it until I could spend a bit of time with it. The next day it worked flawlessly. I did, however, have one problem with the sync between the CS18 and the computer screen. I muted a channel with the CS18, but could not unmute it with the computer. I had to reboot the computer to get the two back in sync. No troubles after that.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived