Proper speaker stand position

• Members

What is the proper position for maximum stand safety? I would think it would be with the legs spread apart to maximum stretch (like the second picture). Yet, I rarely ever see any dj or band do this. Most of the time they have them less than maximum extension (like the first picture). Then I read one review where the reviewer said to over-extend them so instead of the braces further down in the center, they are further up in the center (no picture).

fetch?id=31464033fetch?id=31464034

• Members

When you say "maximum stand safety" I'm guessing you mean it not falling over from a push rather than it failing from a speaker with max weight on it? If the legs are , within reason , the same width roughly apart I would think what ever setting has the speaker closest to the ground. The higher the speaker the more leverage works against you. Stand No1 ( a peavey ? ) the legs determine the height of the speaker. No2 looks like the legs stay the same and the pole sets speaker height. So the speaker stand type also is in the mix as well.

Dookietwo

• Members

First off, you want stability for the load. I find a close second, even sometimes first, is available space. Sometimes if there is little or no 'stage' you have to eyeball the surroundings and determine the risk of drunk encounters, then act accordingly.

• Members
When you say "maximum stand safety" I'm guessing you mean it not falling over from a push rather than it failing from a speaker with max weight on it? If the legs are , within reason , the same width roughly apart I would think what ever setting has the speaker closest to the ground. The higher the speaker the more leverage works against you. Stand No1 ( a peavey ? ) the legs determine the height of the speaker. No2 looks like the legs stay the same and the pole sets speaker height. So the speaker stand type also is in the mix as well.

Dookietwo

Yes, I know setting the speaker closest to the ground(on the ground) is more stable than on a stand but that was not the intended topic. I was asking about any speaker with with a properly rated tripod stand being used. The pictures are not purposely of any particular brand, they were more of an example of position.

• Members

Good question as safety always comes before anything else.

There are several variables to consider in live situations when attempting to prevent speakers from falling or someone tripping on a stand leg (weight of speaker, any wind present, stage vibration, foot traffic around the stand, quality of the stands,...).

Generally, as wide a base as you can manage while not being in the way of someone tripping on a stand leg or knocking into the stand

is safest. If you can't safely get a wide enough base for stability, either move the stand, put a barrier around the stand so you can widen the base (good luck with that), or lower the speaker height until the stand is stable.

I'm not sure how a person would "over-extend" the legs without breaking the stand. Also, the braces on any stand I've ever had adjusted properly as the legs were moved.

• Members
I'm not sure how a person would "over-extend" the legs without breaking the stand. Also' date=' the braces on any stand I've ever had adjusted properly as the legs were moved.[/quote']

If you spread the legs, the inside braces move from being slanted DOWN toward middle pole (picture one) to like they are in picture two (horizontal). If you go PAST that point to where the legs pull back in, the middle braces will be slanted UP toward middle pole (and less middle pole between the circle of attachment and the bottom of the pole). I did this without even trying to the first time spreading the legs apart by sliding the middle pole through the 'circle of attachment'.

• Members

For maximum stability, the legs should be spread to their maximum, and the brace will be perpendicular to the center shaft.

SOME stands allow for smaller base profile with lower height, as height has an influence on tipover risk (due to a loonger moment arm for rotation). Generally, the taller the stand, the wider the base. I think this is what dookie was getting at.

• Members

It depends? :-)

As stated, it depends on the environment. I agree the most important thing is safety. The trade off here is stability vs trip hazard. How drunk will the patrons get? :-). FWIW If space only allows me to put a leg projecting even possibly into someone's path, I take colored tape (white or black if it contrasts most with the stand) and put concentric stripes on the leg to mark it. Also if it's next to a risen stage, sometimes you can abut it against the stage for added stability.

Archived