• Members

Yes. Usually it's that the outer body has slipped down a little and won't let the cable lock seat correctly. A little gentle persuasion by tapping the bottom of the mic against a hard surface will push it back up towards the capsule and allow the cable to fully insert into the mic. "Gentle" can be a subjective term. Do so at your own risk.

• Members

Also the outer body can slip round slightly and the 2 notches won't match up. Again twist slightly to make sure they match up, push the outer body up toward to capsule as trevcda advises and you should be good...

• Members

The other night while setting up a SM58 for a drummer's vox I plugged one of our Mark quad cables (the only kind we have) to it and felt a small but noticeable "gap" when I gently pulled the cable back to check the connection. Assuming it was the mic as trevcda suggests, being in a hurry, and not having a spare I just pushed the cable in all the way and sound check went fine. Well middle of the first song the drummer starts pointing at his mic and sure enough no signal. I quickly replaced the cable (if I had another mic I would have done both) and all went well afterwards. After retrieving the suspect cable at break I noticed the threaded sleeve holding the innards to the shell was very slightly cross threaded and therefore not seated all the way -- this wasn't at all obvious until I took a real close look. Easy fix and it worked fine (with no gap) once corrected.

Yea, these cables are used by a pool of sound guys and even taken upstairs by who knows who for comedy nights and other parties. Knowing that I usually try to inspect things during setup but this one caught me.

• Members

The ND 767 is particularly bad for this though especially as they get older. My newer ones are OK but my older ones all do this and I have to line up the slots and push the outer cover on tight every gig. I love these mics so I don't mind too much and I've gotten used to it to be honest- it's a bad design though. The outer cover gets loose over time.

However, last night the guitarist dropped his on the floor and it just bounced... So I'll take it!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived