need help with sub cab design

• Members

I want to build a pair of 18 inch subs but do not know what design of cabs would be best for me. my speakers are 300 watts RMS. and I would like to get the most out of them that I can.my friend said band-pass cabs would be the best way to go but I'm not sure I'm new to building speaker cabs so I was looking to you guys to help me figure out what design is best for the best efficiency of the speakers I have.

• Members

The best design is one you can try out before you buy.

Bandpass is not the type of cabinet that I would choose unless it was forced down my throat, it's pretty much the worst of all worlds, and it's not a suitable cabinet for your drivers anyway.

If you really feel you must roll your own, a simple ported cabinet is the way to go. Time to study up and learn how speaker cabinets work, otherwise your results will be as mediocre as the effort put into the design. Yes, there is some math.

• Members

Yes, Mark, the used market is flooded with heave older mid grade subs. I cut some up a few years ago, there was no value whatsoever in the cabinets and I was able to get more for the drivers than I was for the entire cabinet loaded. Cost of shipping was some of the issue.

• Members
Yes' date=' Mark, the used market is flooded with heave older mid grade subs. I cut some up a few years ago, there was no value whatsoever in the cabinets and I was able to get more for the drivers than I was for the entire cabinet loaded. Cost of shipping was some of the issue.[/quote']I was just basically given one of them old Peavey 100lb 4x10's. If I didn't have a rehearsal space for it to live in I'd pull the drivers ($105 each new) and waste the cab - not even worth cutting down into a 2x10 I think? Maybe a couple stoopid heavy 1x10's LOL ?

• Members
I'm new to building speaker cabs so I was looking to you guys to help me figure out what design is best for the best efficiency of the speakers I have.

If it's any help, I'll suggest there's three basic design parameters to take into consideration:

1) Efficiency

2) Size

3) Bass Extension

You can't improve on one without consideration of one or both of the others.

Archived