• Members
In today's dollars, multiply by 10.

Santana was relatively unknown at that time.

I checked before reading your reply and it's actually a multiple of 6. So $5,000 is $30,000. Doesn't seem too bad for a one off. No idea what travel expenses were covered.

• Members

Yes the industry has changed. The real dollar figure in today's environment is probably somewhere between the 6 & 10 figure. Today so much more is a bit & piece negotiation (Backline, PA, techs to hire locally or as part of the traveling crew, per Diem, transportation...........the list goes on). It's sort of an apples and oranges scenario. Also as Aged pointed out, many of those groups were not well known (some went on to greatness and some are still not well known :-).

It is a fascinating document none the less. Thanks!

• Members

Circa 1969 my high school band would play at this upscale tennis club for $60 to $70 dollars for the whole band. A six pack of beer was about $1.42 (wayward teenagers), gas was around 40 cents a gallon (10 cents a litre) and my parents west side house was $11k. Long since sold, that house was assessed at $1.2 million.a few years ago. Gas here is now $1.20 to $1.50 a litre and a decent six pack of brew is around $12 dollars. That's here in Vancouver BC, in the US, things were probably even cheaper back in the late sixties.

Those figures might compare favourably to what many bands are making now.

• Members

Ok... I'll play.

My first timeclock job was @ $1.87/hr in 1974... and that was a tick or two above minimum wage at the time.

My first car was a '57 Chevy 210... I bought it for $100 in the summer of '74... 60K miles on the odometer... put a battery in it and drove it another 50K miles and then traded it for my first Corvette.

I have a collection of comic books from my youth... most were 10 cents ea. purchase price.

I clearly remember 2 for 1 pitchers of beer during happy hour, when I was in college... that was 2 five glass pitchers of draft beer for $1.

I remember one of the first concerts I attended... I believe it was Aerosmith and Rush(?)... I had a date for the event... I remember getting change back from $10 for the two tickets.

Years ago I saw the paperwork of my folk's 2nd house, purchased in about 1960 for $10K... it was brand new in an upscale neighborhood, on a huge lot with an attached 2 car garage, and a large shop, 5 bedroom, 2 bath, custom built-ins, all appliances furnished, hardwood floors throughout, etc...

I bought my first P Bass for approx. $700, in 1976... new... off a guitar store wall. I guess not much has changed there. Well, that... and back in '72, I played my first paying gig... as I recall each of us in our 7 piece band took home $35... and were booked solid for the foreseeable future from that gig... and we were awful. Soon after that I was playing 2 - 3 nights a week at $100/night take-home pay... and we were awful. Times have seemingly changed.

• Members
I would have thought it was quite a bit more than x6 but I looked it up and it was about 6.5. Interesting.

I think it depends on what indicators you're using. In my area, house prices have gone up by 100 times from 1969. Gas by 12 to 15 x. Beer in pubs... has gone up by a factor of 20 or 30. Newspapers (the ones still here) have gone up well over ten times, as has public transit. Conversely, when I was still "a kid" I bought a barely used Guild Bluesbird in 1970 for $600.00. In 2005, I bought a hardly used Guild reissue Bluesbird for $1000.00.

I take those conversion calculators with a grain of salt, especially since I'm not the typical consumer, now, or way back when.

• Members

I don't know about everywhere else, but would assume it's similar. Since my band started in 2001, bar pay is essentially unchanged, and in some venues has actually gone down. Inflation wise, since 2001 it's up 35% so those $600 bar shows should be $810 and our $2000 weddings should be $2700. Just doesn't work out that way in the age of $300 DJs.

• Members

All I know is when I started driving the gallon meter on the pump ran a lot faster than the dollar meter. This was 1967 and gas was I believe $.23/gal. in SoCal and somebody else ran out, pumped it, washed your windshield, check your oil, battery, air in your tires and said, "yes sir" to a 17 year old kid.

Archived