X-Air Mixers

• Members

So, who has one :) ?

I hope I'm wrong but it appears the internal wireless is 2.4GHz only - folks are already reporting connectivity failures on the Behringer forums :( . Nobody I know would ever depend on 2.4GHz at a real gig :facepalm: . At least with the Mackie DL1608 you can dock an iPad if needed - you must have a PC or Mac with you on gigs to go wired. Plus you can't presently access all the functionality in the iPad app :freak: .

Ah well, the Presonus and Mackie digital mixers were pretty rough when they first shipped too - and Behringer seems to have a lot of manpower on the project to squash bugs and finish up the features :) .

• Members

It has wired ethernet. Worst case scenario, pretend the internal radio isn't there and plug in your own. Or plug your tablet in via the wired ethernet port.

I would never count on any kind of wireless for a mission-critical application.

• Members
It has wired ethernet. Worst case scenario' date=' pretend the internal radio isn't there and plug in your own. Or plug your tablet in via the wired ethernet port. I would never count on any kind of wireless for a mission-critical application.[/quote']Folks buying them are expecting the built-in WiFi to be actually usable - and you can't (officially) connect an iPad via wired ethernet :( .

• Members
Folks buying them are expecting the built-in WiFi to be actually usable - and you can't (officially) connect an iPad via wired ethernet :( .

No, but you could easily plug in a router, or maybe an access point, with more frequency options or better antennas.

I'm looking at these pretty closely, but it's going to be hard for me to go for one of them vs another X32 Rack. Other than being (somewhat significantly) cheaper, I can't see a lot of advantages, but I can see a lot of downsides. It'll be interesting to see what happens with them.

• Members
^ Definitely the X32 Rack is the more mature product - plus twice the FX units' date=' more inputs and outputs, etc.[/quote']

What kind of irks me is that the X-air series seemed to be marketed as 'all the good stuff from the X32 in a smaller package' type of thing. That may still be but you would think with their experience with the X32 they could've released the X-Airs in a much more polished way. Especially considering how long it seemed to be coming out. Maybe they were rushed into releasing it early to beat the new Soundcraft Ui16 mixer that is coming out (apparently) soon.

Uli and the support guys from Behringer seem to be saying "Join us on a long exciting adventure" but for me I can't deal with that type of business. If I'm buying a mixer it better work right now with ALL the features you are marketing.

I was pretty disappointed to hear the some of the early issues with the X-Airs and decided to look elsewhere. It's obvious that relying 100% on Wifi for mixing is a bad idea. I'm not interested in bringing a computer to gigs for back up either.

• Members

The basics are there, 16x6 aux and 4fx. Wireless and ipad ready. What more do you need to know? Behringer would rather sell you an x32 but I personally know people who can't figure out how to operate one. And they aren't ok on an analog console either, they thought they could handle something like this though. ("Hey Pete, lemme ask you, how does this thing work? What does it mean by...?)

• Members

Honestly, the new standard is 802.11AC and that is what all manufacturers should be focusing on for wifi.

The difference is considerable in performance. Note you do have to have a compatible wifi nic to get the full benefit.

Check your devices for compatability.

Here is some info on the standard.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/160837-what-is-802-11ac-and-how-much-faster-than-802-11n-is-it

• Members

I will be adding an XR18 to the lineup shortly and my plans are to add an Apple Airport Express so that I get dual-band wifi and the option of running a single Cat5 cable to FOH to run the show from a laptop.

I have preached this gospel many times, but will say it again: I strongly discourage anyone from relying on 802.11 wireless communications for any mission-critical app, regardless of frequency and configuration.

• Members
I will be adding an XR18 to the lineup shortly and my plans are to add an Apple Airport Express so that I get dual-band wifi and the option of running a single Cat5 cable to FOH to run the show from a laptop.

I have preached this gospel many times, but will say it again: I strongly discourage anyone from relying on 802.11 wireless communications for any mission-critical app, regardless of frequency and configuration.

That's just how I plan on using mine . Wired AND wireless controll . To me that is one of the biggest selling points of the X18 air , cross platforms , using a cat 5 cable instead of a audio snake . By using an external router I can have a problemless wired connection FOH or on side stage AND a wireless to roam about . Since it's android and apple friendly band members can use their phones or tablets for their monitors . And @ $700 I can buy 2

• Members

I look at this not from the sound guys perspective but from the band members one , If I'm out doing a sound gig , HELL no the band members don't mix their on monitors. But what I was talking about was for the band I play in . If I can't trust them to be professional,I don't play with them , and if they blow it , they pay for it

• Members

I bought one of the XR18 for my light-weight rig. The built in wireless and small size were very appealing, it basically looks like a 16x8 snake end, only without the rest of the snake. My wife uses a tablet to mix while sitting in the congregation. We have had no issues with it yet, but we use it exclusively for church worship services so I cannot speak for other venue types.

I have thought about buying a 50 to 100 foot CAT cable to toss in the laptop bag, that way we would have a backup option for mixing should the wireless go down.

As it is my first digital board, setup was a bit frustrating, but I think we have it worked out. For larger gigs we setup a Mixwiz.

• Members

I have one. We've only used it for rehearsals so far, but it's been great. The concern about wifi interference is slightly scary, but my laptop will always be at a show and recording, so we can quickly switch to ethernet mode and do without individual monitor control. How much fiddling of levels are done with IEM once they are set, anyway?

Without gigging, I'm not much of a resource for info. I know it works for what we're doing. Rehearsal. smile.png

Archived