New Pro Audio videos - following my work as a career audio guy. Thought you all might enjoy taking a look.

• Members

I've done a bunch of articles over the past few years, geared towards showing new and upcoming engineers what I do everyday as a freelance operator. I've recently started adding videos and have had a great response from the audio community, so I thought I would share here with everyone too.

I'd love to know what you think, if you have questions, comments or if you like or hate what I'm doing. Hopefully someone will find these helpful and fun to watch.

Steve

• Members

Everyone thinks everything they do is important and that people want to hear about it. "I'm working with so & so but I think maybe i'll be doing blah, um, I guess we'll see, um.." It's funny, I have friends who post these kinds of video blogs, thinking everyone should be intrigued when they themselves do not watch these kinds of things. Facebook, youtube, blogs...they have some value but they have become home for people thinking their life, work or hobbies will be/should be interesting to the "world"

Just one problem with these kinds of video blogs is that people now have become video producers, and nearly all are not good at it. Cameras, framing, lighting, editing, sound for video, post production...these are all vocations unto themselves. The equipment has become really inexpensive. That's not even taking into account if you are compelling on screen, or if you plan out what to say, script anything, storyboard, etc.. . Personally, I don't want to watch or read everyone's day to day life unless you can make it intriguing. So tired of the long important looking youtube introductions "produced by...blah blah" which look at least a bit more than amateur, but then the content hits.

• Members

I used the fast-foward thingy to watch the parts where it wasn't just him talking. I still bailed after about one minute. Just not interesting in the general case.

If you want to make live sound videos, check out how Dave Rat does it.

Wes

• Members

I made it about six minutes in - TMI. It's too bad, because in some ways this could be a comprehensive real world guide to a real world gig. However, all the background info.... could be listed in a few sentences underneath the video. I would start with Hi my name is, I'm off to the gig, here's what I'm taking. That should take no longer than a minute. In fact, you could separate the videos. Have just a what's in the bag video, and so on.

I did like the bit about the metro - I too have been known to take the train to a downtown gig. Parking is usually twenty to thirty dollars, unless you park far away and walk in. BTW if you're gonna tell us about two pots of coffee, you might as well tell us about how often you have to go to the can - and how you get away to do that al day long :)

• Members

So OP if you haven't headed for the hills yet, I invite you to make another appearance in this thread.

By now, you've figured out that we might be an opinionated and slightly irreverent group of folks, but we care about live sound, and hey, you asked for our opinions!

Leading with a video like this as your first post might not have been the safest idea, but it certainly got the ball rolling. I've tried to make a few of these for schools, so they can remember how to set up their PA - not as easy as it looks.

Actually, it would be cool to see the "how to do it" videos of many of the members here, or even a "mix tape" of the heavy hitters. Even an on the gig compilation video of the guys in the trenches (moi) might be interesting.

Welcome to the forum - if you haven't disappeared completely...

• Members

Thanks for the post and welcome to the forum.

Gosh! 3 days and he's been ripped to shreds :-). DcSoundOp, don't take it personally. I looked at bits of your video and it appears that your work flow is pretty well thought out. Since you do seem to be a competent A1, please by all means keep posting here as I'd guess you could have a lot to contribute to the board.

Sharing correct information and the abolition of myths & misinformation for up and coming sound people seem to be the focus of this board and I have a hunch you'd fit in well. I have to agree though that even though it may be a regular routine to you, you should probably try and make your videos a bit more exciting & fast moving. Yes there is a personality type that gets excited finding that kernel of information hidden in the audiocyclopedia (I've been that way a few times), most people however find it pretty dry reading.

Once you get past the sarcastic attitude here (it CAN be fun :-), you will hopefully find a number of really good audio professionals who are willing to toss some fairly in depth ideas around (as well as some newbies who want to learn).

Cheers

• Members
I think the issue here is somebody posting something like this with no history of effort of being part of the community.

Agreed - that was the wrong story to lead with, but now that it's done, what next...

Sefl censorship can be key. I still haven't posted videos of my Tiny Tim Impersonation - no strike that, it's actually a recurring nightmare.

I guess I'm curious to see what the OP has to say. He asked for our opinions, so surely he must have been ready for the onslaught. Maybe there's a legitimate reason he started with his post. Benefit of the doubt and all that jazz. Or maybe I'm naive

• Members
DcSoundOp, don't take it personally. I looked at bits of your video and it appears that your work flow is pretty well thought out. Since you do seem to be a competent A1, please by all means keep posting here as I'd guess you could have a lot to contribute to the board.

Thanks for the message! I honestly don't mind all of the negative comments at all! I appreciate everyone taking a few minutes to at least look at the videos, and if you don't find them useful, or if they are mind numbingly boring to you, that's cool too. I've not been making videos or writing articles to sell anyone anything, or to amass internet points... it's simply to share what I do with folks who are interested.

I've had some really great e-mails and feedback from folks who are just learning, who are in school, and who are just getting out on their first gigs. This is who these videos are for, and their questions are what I am covering in my blog and video posts. I don't claim to know everything, and I certainly don't claim to be an entertaining 'personality'... I'll be the first to admit I can be a bit long-winded & I'm trying to rein that in as I continue to make more videos.

Anyway, thanks to the community here for the comments. I appreciate all of your opinions, and welcome more suggestions and comments. I can't promise that I'll change everything I'm doing, or improve over night, but I will continue to try to share what I love to do with this community if anyone is interested.

I also just posted a new video (in response to a viewer's e-mail and request for me to do a video about signal-flow)... if you think the last video was long winded, wait till you see this! Thirty minutes of pretty much just talking, Ha!

Thanks again, I look forward to participating in the community here more.

• Members

That's a great suggestion, I can absolutely try to get some video in the future while we are tuning a system and share that process. Did I make a comment about electron flow somewhere in there, it's hard to remember everything I covered word for word, but I'm certainly not beyond making a slip up.

Thanks for the suggestion!

• Members

How about a video showing how to show up on time, with the right gear for the job?

How about a video about advancing a gig, especially when the gear available and the venue aren't a good match for the rider>

How about videos about how to get paid for work done?

These sort of topics have a lot of practical value IMO.

• Members
How about a video showing how to show up on time, with the right gear for the job?

How about a video about advancing a gig, especially when the gear available and the venue aren't a good match for the rider>

Great ideas & suggestions!! I've added them to my list of future video's and will try to get into these topics ASAP.

I really appreciate the input and and the constructive criticism, it's always welcomed & helpful!

• CMS Author

RE: being long-winded. Nobody here other than Mark and Don have actually spoken to me, let alone in person. Just ask my girlfriend...oh wait.....fiance'....about me when I get rolling. Once that time is gone, it's gone forever...but with video you can edit to your heart's content and make the vid short but sweet and to the point.

• Members

Just put up a new video talking about punctuality and being prepared for gigs. Thanks for the suggestion!

Archived