Need Speaker Suggestions (Consolidated Thread)

• Members

Hello Again Everyone,

I have returned after doing a bit more research of my own. I am still looking for a set of PA speakers and possibly a sub to go along with it. My original thread can be found in the link below. It has since gotten a bit cluttered, so I have decided to create a new thread. As before I want to keep everything, including cables under $800, I have a mixer and a behringer EP4000, and like the idea of a passive set up, at least for the main(s). The set up will be for a college party set up - needs to be loud and have a decent low end. Sound quality isn't terribly important, but i need durability.

After listening to you guys I have removed some of my cheaper options and have come up with the following set ups:

Option 1) 2 x Yamaha S112V and a Peavey SP118 - The S112's in parallel and the SP118 on the second channel. This could be done for around $750 after shipping.

Option 2) 2x Peavey SP2 - Some of you say this may not have enough low end, others have said it would be sufficient - Cost would be around $500 after shipping, used

I'd prefer to go with 2 mains and a sub or just 2 mains, if they have enough low end then 1 main and one sub. Reason being, if I blow a woofer in my one (and only) main, the music is done for the night, whereas if I were to blow 1 of 2 mains I'll still be operational. I don't have enough money for back up equipment, but can afford to repair if need be.

The one thing that I still dont understand nearly well enough though - If I use a sub, will I need a crossover? Does it matter if this sub is on a separate channel than the mains?

• Members

FWIW, if you are wondering why you are not receiving any feedback, I bet at least part of it is has to do with your plan that includes "maybe blowing woofers". That's just not how pros operate.

I can't give you any specific advice for that equipment, but my general advice stands - if you are playing EDM, you need a sub. Whether or not you need a crossover or not depends largely on whether your speakers have one built in or not. Whatever you do, make sure you have proper limiters in place. That will be cheaper AND smarter than planning to maybe blow woofers.

(BTW if you are having a hard time affording the equipment, you probably can't afford to have it fixed.)

Wes

• CMS Author
FWIW, if you are wondering why you are not receiving any feedback, I bet at least part of it is has to do with your plan that includes "maybe blowing woofers". That's just not how pros operate.

I can't give you any specific advice for that equipment, but my general advice stands - if you are playing EDM, you need a sub. Whether or not you need a crossover or not depends largely on whether your speakers have one built in or not. Whatever you do, make sure you have proper limiters in place. That will be cheaper AND smarter than planning to maybe blow woofers.

(BTW if you are having a hard time affording the equipment, you probably can't afford to have it fixed.)

Wes

Someone who doesn't know whether a crossover is needed is unlikely to understand limiting. That's one of the many reasons active speakers were originally suggested.

Archived