Small but Quality Intro PA System for Basement - Longish Description

• Members

Hi HC community! First, just a big THANKS to all the folks who take the time to offer their assistance in these forums. It's very much appreciated, I often wonder how we did anything without the Internet!

To preface things - I'm not a professional musician/DJ/etc., had dreams of it certainly at one time, but likely won't be pursuing those any time soon. What I'm looking to setup for the near term is purely for fun, evolving at some point into house parties probably at the most, but one never knows, so I'd rather buy fewer quality pieces than junk and have to throw it away if my needs grow.

I'll be moving into a new place next week, after many many nomadic months, I will finally be in a house vs. apartment, couch, etc. where I can listen to music at a volume higher than my speaking voice. As a bonus, the house has a finished basement (concrete floor, wood/concrete walls depending, but hard surfaces all). I'd say it's about 20'x30' give or take with no windows.

I'd like to set up a PA system of some kind, and since my budget is somewhat limited, I'll probably be starting with just one powered top and build on that - powered sub, 2nd powered top,2nd powered sub (if I even go that far). I'm subletting the house for 3 months, but it's quite likely the more permanent place I'll be in after that will also have a similar basement (very common in Portland, OR where I'm living).

So - from all I've read/researched/etc., I think I'll be looking at the following: RCF Artist 3 series, Yamaha DXR, or possibly even DBR and the QSC K series.

I listen to music styles that range from folk to tech/deep house and everything in between including pop/rock, indie, classic country, classical and a good deal of hip hop/rap. In addition, at one time I was a decent pianist and would love to tinker around with keyboards/controllers, DJ stuff and electronic music composition. Oh yeah and I love to sing given the opportunity, so there would definitely be a mic or two and mixer involved :lol:

​So - here's where I'm at. I had originally been leaning toward the 12" versions of the speakers I mention, but the more I've been reading/learning, I'm now thinking that 10s would be plenty, and potentially even 8s - especially if I plan to add sub(s) to the setup (and I do, when I want the bass, I WANT it) - and I'm particularly concerned that if I go too big, the sound will just become awful/painful in a small/medium sized basement. What do you think?

Also, if I go with either 8s or 10s, any recommendations on appropriate sub(s)?

Any thoughts on which Brand/Model I've listed (or others) that might work best for my situation? I plan to listen to everything that I can, though I think it will be hard to find the RCF locally - even so, very different listening to these at somewhere like GC and my basement.

Finally, and obviously I'll test this too, but if anyone has advice on the best way to contain sound from travelling to the neighbors' I'd appreciate it - sound travelling up through the house isn't an issue, but there are neighbors on either side, probably 30--40' with a low fence between if that helps.

Since I'm spreading my purchases out and don't have a pressing need, my budget is somewhat flexible - but probably looking to spend $400-700 per top and ~$800 per sub when/if the time comes. Obviously, I don't want to spend $$ just for the sake of it, so if my needs warrant paying less then fantastic!

Didn't really intend to be so descriptive, but hopefully the info is valuable when considering your recommendations. Look forward to interacting with this awesome community and thanks in advance!

• Members

You know, that was my original plan...but some of what I had read warned against using studio monitors with vocals/mics to avoid blowing them, but I may have misinterpreted. Also, I was also originally concerned with the amount of/lack of bass but I'm sure that could be resolved by adding a sub, no different than any other system. Given that when I'm listening to house/dance music I prefer a "club" sound, any recommendations for monitors/sub in particular?

• Members

I think in a space that small, a single DXR15 would likely be all you ever need. If I were you, I would go check out the DXR15 (for a 15" speaker example), and any of the speakers you mentioned with a sub (10" over sub) to hear what it sounds like.

Bring some different types of music to play through them. I think you might be surprised how each sounds.

• Members

Consider the Yamaha DSR line. Nexo was involved with this project and take a look at FIR

You mentioned DXR line and im suggesting taking a step above because your FOH loudspeakers

are truely one of the most critical components if not the most critical in your sound system.

You can get the 112 in the 800.00 a piece range.

http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global/en/products/speakers/dsr_series/features.jsp#1411674

• Members

Thanks OneEng! I like that idea a lot...if for whatever reason I do perform out at some point, pretty easy to add on - I was mainly afraid that a 15 would be too much for the space. And yes, I will definitely check the two setups out...

Btw, prior to registering, I happened to read many of your posts and have always appreciated the advice you give, I'm honored you replied even if I'm not in need of a larger, professional system.

I'll post once I decide, can't wait to hear real sound again :-)

• Members

I just got a chance last weekend to play/mix with the EV ZLX12Ps. I really liked them, and was quite impressed. They don't appear on paper to go very low, but maybe the 15" does.

As to the Yammies. Either due to my personality, hearing, or astrological sign, I have never liked Yamaha speakers. Something about their mid (or recently lack of mid) bothers me. However many people love them, so I guess they certainly should be in contention.

Sure liked those EV's though - and the price, wow!. Did they outsource to Mars?

• Members
Thanks OneEng! I like that idea a lot...if for whatever reason I do perform out at some point, pretty easy to add on - I was mainly afraid that a 15 would be too much for the space. And yes, I will definitely check the two setups out...

Btw, prior to registering, I happened to read many of your posts and have always appreciated the advice you give, I'm honored you replied even if I'm not in need of a larger, professional system.

I'll post once I decide, can't wait to hear real sound again :-)

Thanks for the complement!

A 15 will be fine in that space. You don't HAVE to turn it up all the way (but it sure is fun to do ;) ). I have a pair of 15" 3-way Klipsch in my basement (~40x30). The thump from the woofer is very cool at parties.

Just remember, it is the highs that will induce pain. The bottom end warms everything up and provides punch to the music.

I won't disagree with the sediment that the DSR115 is a step up; however, it is more speaker than you need in that space IMO. It also has a bit too much on the highs that needs to be equalized out or it gets a bit harsh. The DXR15 is a very smooth sounding speaker. If you ask around, you will find that it gets lots of complements in the pro sound forums for DJ rigs and smaller gigs without a sub. I know a few guys that run them with a sub too.

Al from this forum has a pair and he has nothing but good things to say about them as well.

Hey Shaster,

Which Yammies did you listen to? I have also heard the ELX speakers. My thoughts were that they were pretty smooth for vocals, but were lacking in punch on the bottom.

• Members

In a 20x30 room you will not need a sub with DXR15s and all you would need is a small mixer with effects. I was quite surprised how much bass even the other speakers in that line put out when you use the full range switch. I have a pair of DXR8s and one EV 12 inch sub and it will put out sound levels as loud as I would ever want in a smaller room and is super portable. I have used it at 100 plus person events without even pushing it. All three cabinets together weigh less than 110 pounds and go in with one trip with a roller cart. As an added bonus with just acoustic events I don't even need the sub and acoustic guitar sound fantastic through the DXR8s.

• Members

Yamaha DXRs sound very similar to RCF Art IMO, but have much more features (awesome mixer), look nicer and have a longer warranty. Shaster is correct in the mids being somwhat reserved (both in Yamaha DXR and RCF Art), but this is what gives them their ear friendly sound and is one big reason why my older clients like them so much. I can have my RCFs or DXRs at near full volume and older folks can dance right in front of them without giving me dirty looks.

I tested and liked the Yamaha DSR112s, but I only usually recommed them for higher output professional applications in conjunction with subs as they get ridiculously loud, but don't have much beef in the lower frequencies. For your application and considering your budet, I HIGHLY recommend you try out Yamaha's new DBR cabs. I tested (and own) the DBR12, and it is a very nice and full sounding speaker that comes in at roughly 500$. Starting with a pair of these would give you a terrific starter system that could be used in smaller venue up to 100 people (for example). If you do get just one for the moment, you can easily plug in an MP3 player or even an instrument and start having fun right away. I heard (but didn't officially test) the ZLX-12Ps as well, and they sound very good too. These have a more present mid, as do the newer Yorkville cabs I've tried, but sound can usually be eq'd to suit your tastes.

Al

• Members
One DXS12 sub. Two DXR8 tops.

DXR8s and DXS12 is a great combination, for sure. Substituting the DXR8s for DBR10s would save a few hundreds though. Prices on Yamaha speakers has gone up here in Canada lately - all speakers seem to have increased 50$. Yorkville stuff too. A single Ps-12P is now 1199$ instead of 1099.

• Members
One DXS12 sub. Two DXR8 tops.

I haven't heard this combo, but if Mike and Al are advocating this setup (and I know both of them are very familiar with the DXR15 I recommended), then it is likely a pretty good combination!

Can you get that combo for $800.00?

• Members

Wow, thanks all for your input! Sorry I've not been active, actually just in the process of moving to the new place. I really like the idea of starting with one main speaker and then adding as necessary (my pocketbook does too) - I'm planning to go to GC and take a listen to the options later this week, unfortunately work managed to get in the way of fun at the moment.

I've listened to the ZLX models, but it was some time ago, and for a different purpose so it would be worth checking them out again. I'd really like to hear the DBR and DXR side by side just in case the DBR would fit the bill and save me $200.

I definitely like the input/mixer options on the yamaha (and EVs for that matter) - even so, I will likely pick up the MG10XU mixer just to have my bases covered and some flexibility - it seems the MG series gets pretty positive feedback (from folks here and elsewhere) - plus, I have used the D-pre mic amps before and like their sound very much both live and for recording.

I'll keep ya posted, and thanks again for everything!

Archived