very basic questions re: output for samples/synth

• Members

1. I have a sampler that outputs via RCA. Do venues have a preferred input at the other end (i.e., RCA, single 1/4, double 1/4)? Does this affect stereo/mono output? A while ago a live soundperson said he would have expected RCA, but was able to DI my single 1/4 adapter cable. This was a long time ago and the only time I used that setup so that's why I don't recall how it sounded with this arrangement and can't figure this out myself.

2. If I have a synth that has a "left" and "right" 1/4 output, is double 1/4 to double 1/4 the best solution? Do you need that to have a stereo/good quality signal?

Sorry for the absurdly basic nature of these questions, but I'm only a musician and haven't played live with this setup before, and am trying to figure out what I need to buy. Thanks for any help.

• Members

Venues are not going to be happy with RCA, at the very least have cables from RCA to 1/4".

In all cases, the venue should them use a transformer isolated passive DI to convert to balanced XLR before sending the signal to the console not all venues are suitably equipped however, so it may be in your best interest to carry these yourself.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Andy's advice as usual is spot on. There are lots of DI's available ranging from what I call reasonable to outrageous. I started out with a few young garage bands who didn't have a clua about audio. To be honest I didn't know much more than they did. I was told in this forum that I needed a line level shifter and found a cheap ART Cleanbox. Bottom of the barrel stuff but it suited my needs at the time.It lets you shift from consumer level (RCA plug) to balanced line level. Worth having for the $70 investment. I still have 2. They are dual mono/stereo so they work well with cheap keyboards, which was what I needed. If you want a better level of product look at the Radials, but hold onto your wallet.

Archived