Using a DRPA with Passive Subs, Active tops

• Members

I've got a pair of sr-4719x subs and some old Mackie SRM-450's. They seem to be way out of balance ( the Mackies are much louder) and I guess it's due to the different input sensitivities. But it doesn't make sense to me. I'm using a 2 way stereo preset on the DR and I have to cut the HF waaaay back to match them to the subs. Is there that much of a difference between active speaker input sensitivity and amp input sensitivity? I'm using an xti6002 for the subs and the DSP is off.

• Members

I think I'd rather adjust the hf gain level in the DR and leave the Mackie gains at half. Less room for mistakes. Now my concern is the input sensitivity of the Xti6002. I'm going to tap into it this evening with Band Manager software and see if there's an input sensitivity setting. I just got the amp and I'm setting up the system for the first time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

My DRPX was quite explicit with respect to sensitivity knob position when I went through the setup. Did yours not have a setting for the Mackies?

As for leaving them set at half - if you don't set them up the way the DRPA asks, you will not be able to trust the output level LEDs, nor use the limiter. Your noise floor may also be increased, and it's possible that the AFS and compressor performance will also be affected.

If you really do have a bandmate IQ problem, you could always set the knobs once and pop on a dab of hot melt glue. :D

Wes

• Members

Do a full system setup on the DRPA with the highs going out to your powered speakers using the custom setting. As far as your speakers go, I ran my powered speakers at the 12 O'Clock position. You might need to consider other options. On the bass cabinets, if your amp is listed, use the suggested input settings. If not, either run them halfway during setup. (And when you gig out.) The auto EQ should balance them out against your mains. Might have to run them more than once.

One thing I normally do is to set the speakers up at my garage door facing out. It's a place of very few reflections. (The drive way slopes down.) While I'm pretty sure it's not perfect, it is very good for setting up the systems. (And way better than an enclosed room.)

• Members

Active tops don't have a traditional sensitivity rating (they could but it wouldn't matter to most users) and any bass reflex top cabinet that boasts 106dB/1W/1M is not accurate (or is not rated in the same way as most cabinets are, such as 1/2-space). I suspect that there are multiple goof-ups going on here.

Archived