From A PC to a Mackie VLZ 3 ?

• Members

I want to play music from a computer which is about 50ft from the mixer, a Mackie 24 VLZ 3. I would like to stick with Audiopile DI's if possible if that's what I need? Here is what have in mind running a 1/8 head phone out into a direct box then xlr out to the stereo inputs on the mixer with 1/4 adaptor, The reason for the 1/4 inch so I don't use up 2 ch.. on the mixer and avoid any problem with Phantom power. I seen on Marks web site a DI with 1/8 stereo and 2 RCA Inputs I think would work, I think? Also I'm going to order 2 of his single Passive DI's anyway..Another Question? what is the advantage of an active DI? maybe I need to get one of those also. Thanks Sorry if I don't make sense, typing things down is not my strength! I confuse myself.

• Members

1. You do NOT want an active DI, it makes it very difficult to deal adequately with ground loops, especially high frequency ones via the laptop's SMPS, because the ground (pin 1) must always pass phantom power. There are some ways around this but they are especially inconvenient.

2. If you use a passive DI with a stereo input (commonly called an A/V DI) you will be fine, and there may be a mono switch on it which you can use to save an input channel if stereo is not a lfe threatening must.

3. Do not just Y the L/R outputs of the laptop's headphone out, it can damage some laptops, or cause excessive distortion, or drop the level way down as the outputs fight each other. It depends on the specific headphone driver circuit employed in the laptop. You need to do a proper summing of the two outputs, which the A/V DI does for you.

4. You will need to use the mic inputs since the output of most A/V DI's is mic level.

Archived