Compact mixer for onstage use - tips/suggestions....?

• Members

[h=2][/h]

I've scaled down my onstage set-up and am planning do a solo thing.

Ok, basically it's a simple vocals/synth/backing tracks set up that I have in mind, and I just wanted to make sure I've everything I need here.

Vocals - Shure SM58A Beta - Boss VE20 fx unit (has XLR in/out)

Synth - Akai Miniak (2 balanced 1/4" outputs)

Backing beats/samples/etc - Akai Sampler MPX16 (2 1/4" outputs)

So ideally I would like the all of the above to go into a compact onstage mixer, with a headphone jack (so I can have wired headphones onstage if needed). Would something like a Behringer Eurorack mixer work for me?

If so, what outputs go to FOH here (assuming the vox/synth/sampler are all going into the mixer)? :

(Thanks!)

http://www.behringer.com/assets/UB802_P0180_Top_XXL.png

• Members

You need to describe your situation a little more clearly. If I'm reading your post correctly, what you're trying to do is achieve a headphone monitor mix for yourself on stage while sending all three signals separately to a house mixer for a sound person to mix for the house. In other words, you're not looking to mix for the house yourself and to sending that mix to the house system. Is that correct?

Louis

• Members
[h=2][/h]

I've scaled down my onstage set-up and am planning do a solo thing.

Ok, basically it's a simple vocals/synth/backing tracks set up that I have in mind, and I just wanted to make sure I've everything I need here.

Vocals - Shure SM58A Beta - Boss VE20 fx unit (has XLR in/out)

Synth - Akai Miniak (2 balanced 1/4" outputs)

Backing beats/samples/etc - Akai Sampler MPX16 (2 1/4" outputs)

So ideally I would like the all of the above to go into a compact onstage mixer, with a headphone jack (so I can have wired headphones onstage if needed). Would something like a Behringer Eurorack mixer work for me?

If so, what outputs go to FOH here (assuming the vox/synth/sampler are all going into the mixer)? :

(Thanks!)

http://www.behringer.com/assets/UB802_P0180_Top_XXL.png

It costs a little more, but having had my Behringer UB mixer fail on me (2 of them), I wound up with an Allen and Heath ZED 10fx. You can pick them up on e-bay for around $220.00. They sound much much better than the Behringer, and are built like a tank. Small, easy to use, and a really nice set of features.

• Members
You need to describe your situation a little more clearly. If I'm reading your post correctly, what you're trying to do is achieve a headphone monitor mix for yourself on stage while sending all three signals separately to a house mixer for a sound person to mix for the house. In other words, you're not looking to mix for the house yourself and to sending that mix to the house system. Is that correct?

Louis

Yes - I need a mixer that will give me a separate monitor mix from my 3 signals (vox/synth/backing), and to have separate control over those going to FOH, with IDEALLY the vocals going as a separate signal to give FOH some control over those.

• Members

Okay...keep in mind, then, that you may not be able to use the headphone jack as a separate monitor mix. It will usually only amplify what is being sent out the main out jacks, unless you abuse the control room controls. If you truly want mains, a wedge, and headphones - then you probably need two aux sends and a headphone amplifier. But, FWIW, I know lots of solo acts that just put two speakers behind themselves and listen to the mains....

• Members

Instead of trying to use a little mixer for more than it's designed to do, wouldn't it make more sense to use signal splitters or DI boxes that could split the signals and just send one set of signals to the house mixer, while routing the others to a small mixer with a headphone out? I think the Boss VE20 will already do that for you for your vocals, so it's just a matter of getting devices for the others. Do you need to send stereo signals from the Miniak and the MPX16?

• Members
Instead of trying to use a little mixer for more than it's designed to do' date=' wouldn't it make more sense to use signal splitters or DI boxes that could split the signals and just send one set of signals to the house mixer, while routing the others to a small mixer with a headphone out? I think the Boss VE20 will already do that for you for your vocals, so it's just a matter of getting devices for the others. Do you need to send stereo signals from the Miniak and the MPX16?[/quote']

If you could explain that for me a little more specifically, I'd really appreciate it! I think I need stereo signals .. or do I?

• Members

Well, does the music you play depend on stereo effects produced by the Miniak and the MPX16, or can what you play from those devices work just as well in mono? If the PA is going to produce a mono signal in the end anyway, as is usually the case, you could use just one cable for each of these. Send each to a DI box or splitter and use that to send your signal to both the house PA and your little mixer. Others might know more about these two units, than I do, but if the signals that are coming out of the two stereo outputs on each unit are the same, panned to the center, you might be able to just send one to the house and one to your mixer, and you wouldn't need a splitter (although I think I DI might be called for in the case of the MPX16, which I believe has unbalanced outputs.

Louis

• Members

It doesn't sound like your are using two mixers, but rather want the ability to have your monitor mix arrive at the headphone out jack so... as in your other thread my recommendation is the Allen & Heath Zed 10FX. I don't think you will want or need a splitter - especially if you're trying to cut back on gear.

To restate: from what I understand, instead of using your FOH for your monitors - which is what I do 99.99% of the time, you want to occasionally use headphones for your monitors. If that's the case you will pretty much need something like the Zed 10FX which can assign different outs including your aux monitor send, to your headphones.

But don't take my word for it, go try one out, or read the manual. Look up "phones select".

• Members
Well, does the music you play depend on stereo effects produced by the Miniak and the MPX16, or can what you play from those devices work just as well in mono? If the PA is going to produce a mono signal in the end anyway, as is usually the case, you could use just one cable for each of these. Send each to a DI box or splitter and use that to send your signal to both the house PA and your little mixer. Others might know more about these two units, than I do, but if the signals that are coming out of the two stereo outputs on each unit are the same, panned to the center, you might be able to just send one to the house and one to your mixer, and you wouldn't need a splitter (although I think I DI might be called for in the case of the MPX16, which I believe has unbalanced outputs.

Louis

Ok, how about this fantastically drawn signal flow, splitting things via DI :

I think this is the correct flow?

DI's set to 'LINK' ...

Blue is my outputs from synth/sampler/vocals ....

Red is mixer to headphones

Green is CH1 out to mixer (link)

Magenta is CH 1 OUT to FOH

No? :/

FLOW2.png

• Members

You do realize that in that set up, you won't have any tone, volume, fx, panning, trim ... control over your synths. And do yu have vocals? If so, where do they enter the picture. I really feel you're making this more complicated than it needs to be. Additionally, it seems like you think that all the extra cabling and DI's coupled with a Yammie, will be lighter than a Zed 10FX on it's own - I'm not so sure about that.

About the weight... Perhaps you have a bad back or a disabilty. I was in a music store a while back and met a tech who was confined to a wheel chair. He was seeking out gear that he could manage from his chair. Even if you have physical limitations, I'm not sure the mixer is the place to skimp. And as I say, cables and DI's can get heavy.

IMHO any mixer that allows you the option of different headphone mixes will do the trick for what you requested. The one I'm familiar with that suits your needs, is the ZED 10FX. I don't work for the company or anything, but the features in that mixer beat most of the other small mixers, and again, it appears to have just what you need.

If you're dead set against a Zed, that's fine, the choice is yours of course. Just weigh out the true cost, and the true weight of all your options.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The setup you've described above is kind of crazy IMO from a management POV.

Plug your gear into the mixer. Send a mixer output to the FOH. Since you want to use the heaphone jack, you might need to send the FOH an aux send instead of the main out. Make sure the mixer has balanced aux outs.

And you don't need stereo.

If you want to give the FOH control over your mix, i.e. send individual channels for the venue engineer to mix, my preference would be to tap the channel insert in your mixer for each channel, and run that out to a quality DI. Get a small rack mixer (RX1202FX), some 1' TS->TRS cables, and a Radial JD6. Throw it all in a rack case. Your setup time will be like, 30 seconds.

I think you could also go the other way around with the Radial JD6, running the DI into the mixer. But you'd still keep it hardwired.

Wes

Archived