Buying used monitors

• Members

I need to add a couple monitors to our setup. We now have (2) Yamaha CM12V's. I like them a lot. A new pair is about $700. Found a pair of Yamaha SM12IV used on CL for $350. My question is would you risk buying the older model ? Are the older ones (IV) as good to the newer(V), and would I be out of line asking the seller if I could pull the drivers out to see they are original, or equal to original.

• Members
IV series and V series Yamaha Club models are really' date=' really similar. Biggest difference is the addition of Speakon connectors: the IV Series was 1/4" only.[/quote']

And I believe the IV's rat fur and the V's are a textured paint. I am not a fan of carpeted anything. To hard to keep clean and fix if torn.

• Members

And I believe the IV's rat fur and the V's are a textured paint. I am not a fan of carpeted anything. To hard to keep clean and fix if torn.

"S" models of both IV and V are ratfur. "C" models are poly coated.

I've always thought ratfur was exceedingly easy to touch up when torn. I'm just not a fan of the look, and as you said, the tendency to pick up munge. But not all ratfur is created equally in that regard. The stuff on Yamaha Clubs is awful. The stuff on say, JBL SR series actually stays nicer/cleaner looking than most of the cheaper poly-coated cabs.

Archived