Alternative to beta 58 for vocals

• Members

I've been using a beta 58 for years on my vocals and have been mostly happy with it. If anything I wish it had a little more presence but not at the risk of sounding bright or losing the oomph with a tad more smoothness.

I'm completely aware that there is no one size fits all when it comes to vocal mics and I'm looking for suggestions vocal mics you like better than a beta 58 for vocals, I'm not really up on the latest live vocal mics. Also can you return mics at a store like Guitar Center? I called there and the guy said yes but on the internet it say's no

Thanks

• Members

Our lead male vox used to use a Beta58 wireless (until the FCC killed his frequencies) and he tried several different things and settled on an AKG wireless with a D5 capsule... but that's his tenor voice and not yours, so YMMV.

As far as GC taking mics in on trade... I've picked up several bargain used mics at my GC over the years, but they were bargains because staff took them in on trade when "they shouldn't have" and so they were marked cheap for quick sale. Now, lately the story has changed and there is currently a used D5 and a used SM58 in their used/clearance case and they're there by design, apparently. In fact my GC were/are having a big trade-in sale where they'd give "top dollar" for your used gear (mics included) AND a big discount (30% or similar) off of something new. Again, that's my GC, not yours... see the new "...end of H-C" thread for possible reasons why GC is becoming the new Music-Go-Round.

• CMS Author

The ND767 is a nice mic in the same general range. It's so hard to know what is okay or not with vocal mics. I'd suggest borrowing from someone if possible, but I'm sure you already thought of that idea.

The other "problem" is that sometimes just trying a new mic and hearing a different sound will make you think you like it. "Different" = "Better" many times. But "Different" + "Time" often means /= "Better", and then you're back to square 1.

And finally, note too that among the exact same brand and model, the mics will sound different, and they will "age" differently too. Another B-58 might be exactly the sound you're after.

Cut & Dried, huh? :-)

• Members
The ND767 is a nice mic in the same general range. It's so hard to know what is okay or not with vocal mics. I'd suggest borrowing from someone if possible, but I'm sure you already thought of that idea.

The other "problem" is that sometimes just trying a new mic and hearing a different sound will make you think you like it. "Different" = "Better" many times. But "Different" + "Time" often means /= "Better", and then you're back to square 1.

And finally, note too that among the exact same brand and model, the mics will sound different, and they will "age" differently too. Another B-58 might be exactly the sound you're after.

Cut & Dried, huh? :-)

Excellent points and exactly what I was thinking and i was wondering if a new beta 58 will sound much better than my 20 something year old Beta

• Members
Thanks for the replies

I called the manager and he said I'd have 14 days to return it so I'll give a few mics a try, I might start with the Sennheiser e935.

I was going to suggest the e935. I got one about a year ago and I really like it. High output before feedback and has a nice warm tone. Works great for my voice. But, like many have and will point out, no one mic fits all.

• Members

Brother let me tell ya! I sing in a classic rock band, and have been searching for the magic mic for years. Started with SM58-> BETA58->SENN945->AudixOM5 THEN! EV767. The EV sounds great, with MAD gain before feedback. You couldn't pry that mic out of my dead hands! Get one, you won't be sorry.

The Senn945 may sound a little better, but if your in a loud band, and use a monitor cranked up in your face, EV767 all day.

• Members

I'm going to pick up the Sennheiser and give it a try. I don't play too many high volume gigs these days and I like to work the mic close and farther away and from what I've read the Sennheiser is that. I'm going to hook it up this afternoon and I'll let you guys know what I think.

Again thanks for the replies. This is a friendly and informative forum

• Members

As already mentioned I also recommend the Sennheiser E945, E935 or EV n/d767a. Also, the JZ HH1 is a superb sounding mic. I own all of these (along with the beta58) apart from the E945 which I've only heard at a blind shootout at Allen & Heath UK. All of these are very good mics indeed but they all suit different voices and I use them all regularly. Ideally you will need to try them out yourself to hear which suits your voice the best. I've also heard good things about the Audio Technica AE6100 but haven't used this one personally.

• Members
Another vote for the ND767a. If you stay on it' date=' it is pretty hard to beat for presence and warmth.[/quote']

+1 EV N/D767…my favorite vocal mic by far in its price range for both sound quality and feedback rejection.

• Members

I have found the 767 to work well with folks that have very good mic technique and to be a poor choice if the mic technique is not so good. It's much less forgiving than either the 58 or B-58, or E935, etc.

There are many performers that can't or won't stay right on top of the mic, the 757 is a bit too tight for my general preference. It's kind of a one trick pony mic.

• Members

I'd second the EV 767. Also look at the audix OM5. I don't have a lot of experience with the 935, never really liked the 835.

I just picked up a pair of EV RE410s (newer). I really like them for lead vocals. Right now I've got em on some backing vocals and I can't tell how good they are since the singers aren't singing. After soundcheck I listened to them and I really liked their sound, lead singer is using the Shure 55. I can't get a decent sound from it. Boo.

• Members
I have found the 767 to work well with folks that have very good mic technique and to be a poor choice if the mic technique is not so good. It's much less forgiving than either the 58 or B-58, or E935, etc.

There are many performers that can't or won't stay right on top of the mic, the 757 is a bit too tight for my general preference. It's kind of a one trick pony mic.

That's what I've been gathering. I'm mostly playing acoustic gigs these days so high volume and feedback really isn't an issue. I have very good mic technique but I would feel constricted always having to be up on the mic but I may still pick one up just to compare

I didn't get the Sennheiser yesterday, in typical GC fashion they said they had one e935 left but when I got there they couldn't find it of course after I drove a half an hour to get there so I ordered it from a different store and it should be here next week

I'll clean the foam and grill of my beta 58 this weekend and take a listen

• Members

I agree with Aged. I have been using 767a and a Beta 58 at a club I run sound every weekend, and a open jam on Wed. Like Aged said you get people that don't get right on the 767 boy does it start sounding thin. At least to me. PS I just started running sound full time about 4 months ago before I just filled in. Boy what an eye opener, the thing I've learned is how much I don't know vs. what I thought I did!

• Members

Ok I got the e935 yesterday spent a couple hours with it and my first impressions are favorable. A little more smoother and open my beta 58. The low note were more intelligible and it's a little more like singing through a studio condenser in the way that I can work the mic. I did sing through an EV 767 at a band rehearsal and for the kind of gigs I generally do I don't need the super cardiod pattern and am not a fan of always staying on top of the mic.I might borrow one of the EV's and check it out more because the PA I was using it with wasn't dialed in that good.

All that said the Beta 58 still sounded good and I realize I could audition some of the other mics but for now I think the E935 is a keeper and an improvement over the 58 for my voice

Thanks for the tips and suggestions

Archived