help me match PA speakers to my amp please!!!!

• Members

Good evening everyone, so here is the situation in short. I have a crown x2000 with a set of no brand PA speakers and one of them blew out the other day. I got them for free a while back and im guessing someone just did a crappy build for them. so i need some new replacements. I found on musicians friend some interesting speakers that are on sale. (i'll add links at the bottom of this.) I'm wondering if my amp can match them? my crown x2000 puts out 450 watts at 4 ohms and 330 at 8 ohms i believe. the speakers RMS is 300 at 4 ohms BUT!!!! there is a package deal of the speakers and a "matching" power amp that appears to have the EXACT same specs as my crown. can anybody please confirm if these will work with my crown amp??? thank you so much! I don't know how long they will be on sale for and I am contemplating ordering them tonight because it is such a good deal. thanks again.

My crown amp. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/crown-x2000-stereo-2x450w-power-amp

The Kustom PA speakers (alone) http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/kustom-pa-kpc215h-2x15-pa-speaker-cabinet-with-horn?rNtt=kustom%20kpc215&index=1

The Kustom PA speakers with matching amp. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/kustom-kpc215h--phonic-max-1600-spr-amp-package

• Members

yea my budget is pretty tight. and another thing i forgot to mention is that this is not going to be for real live sound or anything. just like band practice vocals and such. but alright i'll look at those. these speakers are receiving almost entirely five stars though....

• CMS Author

I understand that you don't know me any more than you know the people who may have posted those reviews. FWIW I read some of them, and it's amazing how many actually had complaints but still give 5 stars. People do like to validate their purchases, which is why it helps to know how long after purchase the review was posted. I used the floor wedge version of the series once, and couldn't believe how bad they were. I've heard these and the sound was awful, but of course that could be something else in the system...it wasn't my gig so I couldn't check out anything.

By the way, check out the outstanding deal if you buy a pair: $599 Oy, WTH MF?:philpalm:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/kustom-kpc215h-2x15-pa-cabinet-pair#productDetail

They weren't exactly raved about when the same question was posed here 7 years ago:

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/LivePerformanceCategory/acapella-33/380626-

Now please don't think I'm being snobbish about this. I'm not a rich guy, far far from it. But value is more important than price. I do 'expert reviews' for HC on pretty much any live sound gear that MF sells, as well as the 'hands-on reviews' you may see in the MF print catalog. So I see and hear a lot of gear. As I don't buy the stuff, I'm not shackled with trying to justify a mistake. But I do get sad when a great piece gets packed up and picked up by the brown package car...

It may well be that these speakers could meet your modest requirements for band practices. But consider that you'd probably be spending far more time listening to them at practices than in gigs, if you plan to play out. Do you want something that sounds bad, or worse, you can't hear well because they can't be turned up without feedback?

If the intent is practice speakers, I'd recommend a pair of 12" or 15" floor wedges that you can use in practice exactly as you would on stage.

I'd also recommend going with a powered speaker. No amp matching issues, the DSP built in will ensure they sound good and won't blow up. You don't even need a mixer if you only have a couple of inputs.

Yamaha DBR and Electro-Voice ZLX powered are great values...about $400. Just get one for now. I'm about 99.5% sure you'd be much happier with ONE of these than with the pair of Kustoms. I've reviewed both lines and they are very impressive. And of course you can save up for another one, but meanwhile you've go something you can use that sounds good, is easy to set up, can be used for monitors or FOH, and will have way better resale potential if you upgrade later.

• Members

You can find inexpensive powered speakers that you can plug mics directly into for practice... and they can later be used for mains or monitors, should you grow beyond the basement and gig out. These need not break the bank. Better is always better, but if you can't afford QSC, EV, JBL, Yamaha, etc... then Alto, Harbinger, Behringer, etc. make fine monitor. (GASP... did I really just recommend 'ringer products?!?)

• Members

I have used other speakers in this series for house party front of house.............................garbage. The monitors were JRX 112M and sounded a trillion times better, even when driven off the same piece of crap box mixer.

Get a quality powered 12" monitor for practice. You don't need mains for practicing! Mains point at the audience. Monitors point at the musicians. It's way cheaper to buy something good than it is to buy something crappy and then something good.

Wes

• Members

Buy a pair of Yorkville YX15's. They are 300W at 8ohms. Perfect. They should last awhile if you aren't too stupid with them. Great monitors that will work with your power amp. They will get you off to the races, then you can plot your next move. $300ish each.

• Members

Sorry OP but these guys are right about those Kustoms. They are terrible! I'm speaking from experience. My wife's Uncle uses a pair of those in his Jam room and sound like poop.

If you need to go cheap look for a set of used Yamaha Clubs. Either the S series or the C series. They are built to last and sound very good for not much money. I just bought a pair for $300. Another cheap but pretty good sounding option are used Peavey SP5's.

Don't underestimate how much nicer it is to use decent sounding speakers. Even for practice. It will make you better.

• Members

Are you selling those EVs... or recommending them?!? Without the feet they are a pain in the butt to use as monitor. HOWEVER, I have to admit that I owned a pair for years and used them as mains and they were terrific for low-volume gigs. They made me an EV fanboy and while sticking with the recommendation of my previous post... if at all possible the OP should try to move up to at least the ZLX series speakers. A used pair of ZLX12P can be had for around $600 or less and would be a solid improvement to what he has. DON'T believe anything you read in a product review on a retail site, avoid the Kustoms, and sell that Crown while it's still worth something... or use it in a bass rig... whatever. Then start shopping the used market for newer powered stuff like this that is like new but has taken the "driven off the lot" depreciation hit... and then wheel and deal. Cash talks...

• Members

If you're just needing something for band practice check out these Alto powered speakers. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Alto-TX10-10--Active-Loudspeaker-110609088-i3898891.gc

I normally wouldn't look at Alto at all. My wife is an elementary school music teacher, the speakers she has are crap, and she can't get the money to but some more. All she needed them for was for the kids to hear when they're singing along with music for the choir. These Altos are super light, and too my surprise sound pretty damn good. I bought a pair for her. I hooked them up at the house and ran some music through them, they got plenty loud to but used as a monitor in a live situation and sounded much much better than I thought they would. For $169 a piece they're well worth the money in my opinion. So if you just need them for vocals at practice they'll be plenty and not drain your wallet.

• Members

Where are you located?

The bottom has pretty much fallen out of the used MI-level passive speaker market. I recently bought a set of JBL SR series for marginally more than those Kustoms (and might let them go for about the same).

• Members

Oh wow thanks for all the answers guys! I'll be looking at all of the suggestions and try to make a decision soon. I'm trying to avoid selling the crown but I guess I will if I must. I have a decent mixer already that would get stowed away if I have no power amp. Someone recommend some yamaha s115v speakers recently and said it's a "perfect match" for my crown. I'm sure they are super nice and all but the wattage doesn't seem to line up right. Idk how it works really. I did find a set on Craigslist locally for a good price though. Would these be worth pursuing? Or should I really just keep looking and researching things you guys have said haha. Thanks, and sorry for being such a newbie.

• CMS Author
Someone recommend some yamaha s115v speakers recently and said it's a "perfect match" for my crown. I'm sure they are super nice and all but the wattage doesn't seem to line up right. Idk how it works really.

A good rule of thumb for matching amp and speakers is to use the amp's RMS (also called "continuous") power ratings, and go with speakers anywhere from 1x that to no more than 1.5X if you have no processing such as limiters...or don't really know how to set up a limiter to work as protection. For those with extensive experience/knowledge, and the willingness to risk damage (in other words, can afford to replace blown up speakers), up to 2x RMS. Be sure, of course, to use ratings at the same impedance as the speakers.

And note that the knobs on a power amp are attenuators. That's not a volume or power limiting control at all. It lowers the input signal by the amount on the dial. A really high level input signal can still drive the amp to full power or beyond.

• CMS Author
Thanks' date=' and sorry for being such a newbie.[/quote']

Everyone was a newb once. The only time folks here will cop an attitude is when someone, regardless of their experience level asks a question, is given answers, and then proceeds to argue or mock those answers or the folks that offered them. And as moderator I've got no problem letting these types get their due.

Welcome, and feel free to ask anything.

• Members

A good rule of thumb for matching amp and speakers is to use the amp's RMS (also called "continuous") power ratings, and go with speakers anywhere from 1x that to no more than 1.5X if you have no processing such as limiters...or don't really know how to set up a limiter to work as protection.

So the yamaha s115v runs at 500 watts at 8 ohms, and same with the peavey sp2, and my crown runs at 330 watts for an 8 ohm load. 330 times 1.5 is 495 so it seems to work well then after all? Depending on how much a limiter costs I could probably get one. I understand the concept of limiters, I do a lot of studio recordings. I just have never used an actual physical limiter haha. And that's interesting about how a high enough input can drive an amp to full power. I'll have to play with that concept once I get some working speakers -.- thanks!

• CMS Author

So the yamaha s115v runs at 500 watts at 8 ohms, and same with the peavey sp2, and my crown runs at 330 watts for an 8 ohm load. 330 times 1.5 is 495 so it seems to work well then after all? Depending on how much a limiter costs I could probably get one. I understand the concept of limiters, I do a lot of studio recordings. I just have never used an actual physical limiter haha. And that's interesting about how a high enough input can drive an amp to full power. I'll have to play with that concept once I get some working speakers -.- thanks!

Okay, you're thinking, and that's really good. But it's homework time. Go to the link below, go to the specs tab, and see where you've gone off the rails just a bit...

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/live_sound/speakers/passive_speakers/concert_club_v_series/s115v/

Archived