New JBL powered SRX

• Members

Looks like a nice semi-pro speaker line, but I'm having trouble figuring out where they fit in the food chain. Are they JBL's answer to the EV ETX line / Yamaha DSR line? Or... Are they truly a step at providing a powered solution in a tier (SRX, STX, QRX, etc) that doesn't have many offerings.

Personally, I'll be keeping an eye on these. I currently run a PRX system, which is great except I'd like more for some outdoor shows. I wonder if these, especially the double 18's and 3 way tops, could provide that power.

• Members

I run a passive MRX for small scale production, to be honest there have been few cases I've need more oomph "except outside" as you state.....I want want want not need need need....lol

Question, did you find an estimated price sheet on this series? Ratings are 135 to 141 SPL, curious if these are real ratings are "run for 2 seconds until they go boom" ratings or "calculated" ratings? Same drivers as the original passive SRX series?

I as well will be keeping an eye open, very excited to see this release!

• Members

My PRX 612's and SM 80's have the same max spl rating. The PRX can't even come close to the SM 80 in volume, and clarity without falling apart. It may get so loud, but do you really want to listen to it at those levels?

• Members

Been waiting quite a long time for these. Too bad my buying cycle was a few years ago.

Oh well. I guess I will just have to live with my "low end" DSR112's ;)

I am really looking forward to hearing these speakers though.

• CMS Author
Ratings are 135 to 141 SPL' date=' curious if these are real ratings are "run for 2 seconds until they go boom" ratings or "calculated" ratings? [/quote']

I don't know for certain, but they'll probably follow JBL's practice of the peak being calculated based on power and efficiency ratings. I'd love to hear some input from Don and Andy on this, as it seems odd to test for other specs but use calculations for peak. My initial guess is "because the numbers are bigger that way".....

• Members

Wow, this thing must really bring the BOOM.

I was comparing numbers with the LS801P (single 18" active sub from Yorkville). They look very similar on paper, which is really annoying. How can anyone make an informed buying decision? Grumble, grumble.

JBL: 141 dB peak SPL, -10dB response to 29Hz, 1500W program, 2000W peak

Yorkville: 140 dB peak SPL, -3dB response to 45Hz, 1500W program, 2500W peak

There's no way (is there?) that Yorkville's driver is that much more efficient than JBL's, so the story is elsewhere. Low frequency extension, maybe? We'll never know because they don't publish the right numbers. Which is annoying, when the bass player hits 30Hz, I want to hear it!

By the way, the spell check is working perfectly.

Wes

• Members

Hello everyone! First post although I was a member several years back before the new format. (I tried like heck to re- join but got booted every time)

Anywhoo, I got to walk the halls at NAMM and kinda got my interests peaking again. JBL's new line certainly is one of those fire starters.

While I can't speak for JBL, the fellow I spoke with told me the numbers are true measured numbers. Done at JBL's testing hall and in whole space or hanging. I guess he had some sort of level in testing these.

His words are: the subs are monsters ESP the dual 18" box. They sound great out of the box but the tunings are amazing.

I don't mind the weight of the single 18" sub (87 lbs) but the 812 (60 lbs). seams a bit heavy. It is a fairly large box for a 12" trap but I'm just missing my old SRX712's.

Both subs have caster mounts like the SRX718, I know most don't care but I ran casters on my 718's and VRX subs.

Nice to see some familiar names still around here!

• Members

Guess we'll only know once they get out in the wild. Craig, if you are ever able to get a demo of these, I would love to hear them in person (I think we're both local to the SE PA area). Not sure if your arrangement allows for guests. :)

• Members
They certainly read well - I've sworn black and blue that if I ever upgrade my speakers again it will be RCF but these ones might challenge that thinking!

These are actually competitive with RCF and FBT offerings. I've always wondered why nobody "big in the states", with good distribution and support, would do a next level a powered box with a 1.4" or larger exit. I know the market isn't as big, but they'd be all alone in it. Too bad they couldn’t do neo magnets though . At the price point I think people would pay $50-$100 more for the weight loss. I understand why though. It’s tough to manufacture finished goods using a volatile commodity like neo magnets. You can’t accurately predict margins as the price for that material could be X or 5X. That said, other manufacturers are doing it.

And when in the world is HC going to get this forum functional enough that you can type a response in the text box without having to go fire up your email to type in there and then paste into the forum. The ridiculousness is remarkable.

• CMS Author

And when in the world is HC going to get this forum functional enough that you can type a response in the text box without having to go fire up your email to type in there and then paste into the forum. The ridiculousness is remarkable.

The word all along has been that there are massive amounts of recoding to fix existing vB problems, and then add the functionality they somehow dropped in this latest version, and then make it all work on the myriad platforms now supported. As I don't know the details or the people doing the work, I have to take their word for it. But it is beyond "old".

• Members

These are actually competitive with RCF and FBT offerings. I've always wondered why nobody "big in the states", with good distribution and support, would do a next level a powered box with a 1.4" or larger exit. I know the market isn't as big, but they'd be all alone in it. Too bad they couldn’t do neo magnets though . At the price point I think people would pay $50-$100 more for the weight loss. I understand why though. It’s tough to manufacture finished goods using a volatile commodity like neo magnets. You can’t accurately predict margins as the price for that material could be X or 5X. That said, other manufacturers are doing it.

The DSR112 uses a 2" diaphragm with a Neo driver and a 1.4" exit I think. The woofer is a 3" neo driver as well .... but the box is still a little heavy at 47lbs due to the very solid box construction. There is someone over at PSW that has an SRX rig searching for a powered setup that works as well as the SRX and is in the process of comparing the SRX tops to the DSR's (she is using XLF's for subs for the DSR rig). It will be interesting to hear how her comparison goes.

Personally, it is hard for me to see how even a powered SRX is going to differentiate itself from the XLF's. I have heard SRX718's A/B'd to the XLF and really could not hear a hill of beans difference. In fact, if you don't have the SRX's setup and powered well, they actually sound worse than the XLF's.

Maybe the powered SRX subs will have a little more output? I thought I saw a double 18 powered too. That might be interesting .... but big and kind of heavy.... but I bet it really thumps!

I do think you are correct though. For every DSR112 Yamaha sells, I bet they sell 10 DXR's.

Is EV's ETX line in this same catagory? The KW122 is priced in this neck of the woods as well, but I thought the DSR112's were better at a lower price. I haven't heard the new ETX's yet though.

• Members

The DSR112 uses a 2" diaphragm with a Neo driver and a 1.4" exit I think. The woofer is a 3" neo driver as well .... but the box is still a little heavy at 47lbs due to the very solid box construction. There is someone over at PSW that has an SRX rig searching for a powered setup that works as well as the SRX and is in the process of comparing the SRX tops to the DSR's (she is using XLF's for subs for the DSR rig). It will be interesting to hear how her comparison goes.

I'm pretty sure it's a 1" exit. Yamaha has been purposefully vague about their compression driver dimensions forever, using the diaphragm dimensions as the size of the driver, conveniently omitting the exit size. If the DSR's had a 1.4" exit they'd be all over it in their marketing materials. I've not found a reference to the exit size in any of their marketing or the reference manual.

• Members

Sounds like whoever is doing the coding is prioritizing features over functionality.

works with every browser released this century (and plenty from the last)

Nobody comes here for the bold text, user-is-online buttons, avatars, or "like" thumbs. We come here to read what others write.

Wes

• Members

I'm pretty sure it's a 1" exit. Yamaha has been purposefully vague about their compression driver dimensions forever, using the diaphragm dimensions as the size of the driver, conveniently omitting the exit size. If the DSR's had a 1.4" exit they'd be all over it in their marketing materials. I've not found a reference to the exit size in any of their marketing or the reference manual.

You could be right. I'll measure it next week :)

BTW, I couldn't find the exit horn size of the STX either, but they do state they have a 3" HF compression driver. The internal cross-over is unusually high IMO at 2.2Khz. The venerable SRX (by comparison) was crossed over at 1.2Khz.

• Members

I had my assistant take a look at them at NAMM... i think the biggest difference is the Ipad compatibility out of the box, and ability to access PEQ etc. def a more power user kinda thing, but if the processing is like he was led to believe, then it could be REAL nice.

-Todd A.

• Members

You could be right. I'll measure it next week :)

BTW, I couldn't find the exit horn size of the STX either, but they do state they have a 3" HF compression driver. The internal cross-over is unusually high IMO at 2.2Khz. The venerable SRX (by comparison) was crossed over at 1.2Khz.

The STX uses a 2432H compression driver, which is a 1.5" exit. It's a bit surprising the crossover is 2.2K for the 12" box and 1.8K for the 15". That's fairly normal for 1" exits, but larger exits generally have lower crossover points. I realize it's all in the design though.

• 2 months later...

Archived