question on peavey subs and tops

• Members

first time posting, looking for input on some subs and speakers for use in a night club. I am looking at the older peavey sp218 dual 18 inch subs and the dths4 tops. using them in a approx. 4,000 sq foot venue and powering each sub with a pv2600 amp.... Looking to see if this is a good set up for a club and if the amps are powerful enough to get each sub where it needs to be it shows subs are 2400 watts 4800 max I want to be sure they are powered properly and I would look at getting another amp to power the tops. any input or suggestions greatly appreciated

• Members

The DTHs4's are a beefy 2-15 and horn box. You could run the subs 40hz to 80hz or even 70hz and have the 4's take over from there. I know I've used the PV2600 amp bridged before and it works fine. If you don't need full output have 1 amp feeding each sub box. Channel A feeding the top woofer in the sub box. Channel B for the other woofer. You'd need to add a 4 pole speakon input to each sub as I don't believe that box has one. Also be sure to note and correctly wire your break out box for the amp rack. The PV2600 has its speakon outputs wired in "high Power" mode. This is covered in the manual.

In this picture I was using a bridged pv2600 powering 2 peavey subcompact 18's. Very punchy and solid sound. Didn't hit the DDT circuit all night. I know some may diss using this amp at 4 ohm bridged operation but not run into the ground it works fine. This was during setup but you can get the idea. Tops and monitors were EV sxa250 .

fetch?id=31391059&type=medium

Your system should make a nice rocking system for the 150 to 300 crowds. (depending on music) If the 4's could be put on scaffolding and the subs placed together in the center it would be interesting....

What year are the 218's?

Dookietwo

• Members

ok thanks so dookietwo you are saying that if I get a 4pole speakon to use an amp for each sub, with channel A on top 18 and channel B powering buttom 18 , how much power will that be giving the subs as compared to using just channel A to do both upper and lower 18s. will there be a significant difference in sound or quality ? and I see the tops may may not be able to handle that type of power so if did split the amps (one per 218) then get a lower powered amp for the tops , correct ? or the same amp but not bridged letting it split between the two tops

• Members

You'll have 900 watts at 4 ohms available from your amp when you power both 18's in a box with 1 amp channel. (450 watts to each woofer) Splitting it up with 1 amp channel per speaker in a box gives you 540 watts available to each woofer or 1080 watts available total for each sub box. The advantage is the amp is working less to give you slightly more power. Less heat generated. The amp will last longer in general and the damping factor will be better and the box will sound tighter, as well. ( look into dampening factor in regards to loud speakers )

I seem to remember the tops having close to the same power rating as the subs, at least with the ones I have ran. Around 600 watts rms. 500? With each pv2600 on a sub and an amp around 400-600 watts rms for the tops you should be fine. In general your going to turn your crossover down on the High out to match the output of the subs anyway so you may get by with even a smaller amp than that for your tops.

If I was running this system and the owner didn't want to bridge one 2600 per sub I would at least set it up for 1 pv2600 amp channel per 18 on the subs. I've run peavey gear well over 27 years now and would feel ok with the bridged power run correctly but I wouldn't hand the system over to someone fairly new to the game. A sub may be rated at 700 watts rms - 1400 watts program - and 2800 watts peak. In order to get the dynamic's of even 1400 watts program you need an amp that will supply 1400 watts rms. Have the power available but only used for program peaks. ( if needed....)

For the tops have an amp that has available somewhere around 400-1000 watts at 4 ohms rms. Depending on how much headroom I wanted for the tops.

3 amps would give the most clean power available to the subs and headroom in the top system. If you don't mind lugging 1 more amp thats how I'd set it up.

Dookie

• Members
I want to be sure they are powered properly

The best thing you can do for any sub and these in particular is get a system processor that will not only allow you to crossover your tops and subs, but also limit them and high pass them on the bottom. What they do they do fairly well, particularly in multiples. What they don't do in the lower frequencies can have you scrambling for replacement baskets.

• Members

The PV2600 has a basic Low Cut filter in them as well as a basic 150 hz crossover. This crossover , when turned on gives a 6 db boost in the sub range and an average 6 db down at 150 hz.

I'll post 3 pictures.

First Picture is the 40hz filter on. Its 12 dbs per octave and 3dbs down at 40hz.

Next is the low out and high out traces.

Last is the sub out with the 40 hz and 150 hz filters on.

I wouldn't use the 150hz crossover with these tops as the tops are 2-15 boxes and could easily go down to 80hz. Crossing over at 150 hz would pretty much make the bottom 15 in the tops out of its bandpass and not used at all. In any event I would use the low cut for at least some protection.

Dookie

c9672ef9fd2078f011fe077f8dbe1062.thumb.JPG.d4c516def4ac5b87c461b3c42f387e6b.JPG

63074592474b12ad812c5777893d2c45.thumb.JPG.c17829d49a53403c4328db3424984c9e.JPG

8dc9866628134e88148ae68f724f32f1.thumb.JPG.be42c414ed94826928b48d243b302282.JPG

• Members

Nice! When I saw the Low Cut button I was thinking it was for the tops. They don't mention it on the web page or the cut sheet. Is this a better amp than I've been giving it credit for? I have no dislike for Peavey but I'd always kind of discounted this series.

Archived