Danley SH90HO Vs 4 SH46's? comparable tops? Whats better?

• CMS Author

Goal/Requirements -

Moving target but a crowd of 2000 people outdoors. covered at 100-105dBA 100' give or take. I think either of these systems would do that. My goal is to have a system for mid sized festivals (1000-3000peeps).

I think covering 2000 outdoors at those levels with any pair or even two pair of speakers is at best optimistic, even the high output Danley's. You're pretty far into line array territory....2K souls outdoors take up a huge area.

• Members

I think covering 2000 outdoors at those levels with any pair or even two pair of speakers is at best optimistic, even the high output Danley's. You're pretty far into line array territory....2K souls outdoors take up a huge area.

MIght be, but Line arrays are a non starter. just too much stuff!

• Members
OP' date=' If you Google search for "Ivan Beaver" you will find two pro audio forums where Ivan hangs out a lot. He works for Danley and dispenses much good advice readily. I suspect he would be eager to assist you.[/quote']

Ya, I found him on PSW :)

• CMS Author

Yep, I know of the Jericho. Hypothetically, where would you place a pair of them to cover 2000 people? Again, the laws of physics can't be broken, or even bent a little. The sound level up front from a single speaker is way too loud. SoCo's don't use line arrays because they like spending time and money flying heavy lifts over crowds, they use them because that's what works. If you desired, say 85dBA at 33m, that would be an entirely different situation. But you need rock concert levels, so the game's changed because of that spec.

All of these Danley's are wonderful tools, but I don't think they're the right tools in this case.

• Members

I haven't given it much thought re: a jericho, but I've actually seen it in action (LIB 2014, Woogie stage). that being said its not really quite an apples to apples comparison to say a pair vs a line array, considering the Line array will cost quite a bit more.

I've covered 800 with my SRX Rig (4 tops 6 subs). I dont think 2000 is that our of the question.

That, and I don't particularly care for the overall sound of line arrays. Id' rather setup a delay stack and do it that way. but thats me, and I'm probabaly in the minority.

• Members

and 2k peeps is about 12000 sq ft +/- maybe 15,000 so lets see, yes a big bigger than i really want, so lets revise things a bit... I would use a center infill and get the speakers 16' in the air, then aim the speakers so they're 20' out, you're right cant do 105 without killing the peeps, so i think i'd have to revise to 95 or so at the range. Or use a delay stack. thats ok. thats still plenty loud. I still wann be able to drop 105 at 100' :D

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Hi Todd,

Sorry for the delay response, if you have not come right, I can tell you, yes the SH46's (2per side) will cover 2000 people. These speakers are loud. What style of music are you playing? To give you an idea, it would take 6 to 8 of your JBL SRX 728's (per side) to keep up with them and if not more for EDM.

• Members

Agreed. There are several outdoor festivals in my area and almost all are using line arrays now, even for crowds of a thousand or less. Just seems to make sense to a lot of folks. Not saying it's a rule, but competition is stiff, so results are important.

Here's a link to a local festival that typically has fine to six thousand folks at the main stage. Before they started using line arrays, they would have repeater stacks. Doesn't seem to be a need for that now - at least IMHO. Sometimes the arrays are just stacked on the subs, if it's just a few...

http://604now.com/new/wp-content/upl...rnabyblues.png

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Well we went with SH46's. They are Amazing. The highs are so smooth out of them, and theres midrange definition without harshness, simply the best top ive heard.... recently we used them with 6 728's and then with 6 th118 (we own both). both results were amazing. The 728 setup was deeper, more boom ad enveloping bass.. the TH118 is tighter and more articulate, but does not have that deepness. we used 3 per side with 2 sh46. covered 6-800 each event, both outdoors.

Line arrays for the most part just aren't all that great. the PK line array at LIB ran a very distant third to the Funktion 1/Turbo rig at one stage, and the Meyer Rig at another. For dance music they just don't cut it.

I do feel that the 728 and Th118 are comparable watt for watt. not much of an output diff that some claim.

Archived